Old Cafe's

There was one at Bawtry called the “Resthome” on the Doncaster Rd. Bit of a dump if I remember correctly. Cheers Haddy.

haddy:
There was one at Bawtry called the “Resthome” on the Doncaster Rd. Bit of a dump if I remember correctly. Cheers Haddy.

I seem to remember another on the Gainsborough road but I cannot find it now on google maps :neutral_face:

Wheel Nut:

haddy:

I seem to remember another on the Gainsborough road but I cannot find it now on google maps :neutral_face:

I think there was one on the roundabout where the A620 did a left for Retford Malc,could have been a filling station as well.

Marshalls had pet products tankers and gas tankers,the gas was marketed under “Marlin” which was I suppose short for Marshalls and Lincolnshire.Their yard was on the right going out of Scunthorpe towards Brigg on the A18.
[/quote]
I used to run to Brigg sugar beet factory in the 60’s and used Marshall’s cafe, not the worst cafe I have ever been in. Marshall’s lorries had a dreary grey livery, I seem to remember they had a lady driver in the fleet (very unusual in the 60’s)
I think her name was Rita ? regards Big Al

Anyone remember the Heath Cafe at Knustford, on A50. 15bob D.B.B. Not bad for 1964 I wonder if it is still there, Regards Larry.

the heath closed in the late 60s i think larry . there used to be lorries based there , can’t recall the firm , and then it was car sales . last i saw it was a garden centre , cheers , dave

market man:
Any of you guys remember the 24 hr cafe at Lemsford herts ?

I certainly do. In the late 70s I called in for breakfast most mornings around 02:00 on my way to market (Western International), and as a favoured regular, used to get my mixed grill & coffee all for £0.35 courtesy of the lovely Margaret, a silver-tongued Weegie with a wee heart of gold. Every now and then I would arrive to find the place packed with late-night Disco fallout (perhaps if I was running a bit later than usual), in which case Margaret would signal to me over the queues & the crowds: “the usual?”, and within 2 minutes deliver my breakfast with a wink to me where I sat! I couldn’t help but get the impression the Disco hoards were subsidising my brekkers. This made me feel good. Gawd bless you, Margaret, wherever you may be.

I called in at the Derry yesterday, there is a notice on the door that it is closing down at the end of
the month, due to the downturn in business caused by the building of the motorway. The cafe
had gone downhill over the last few years but it is still sad to see another old “watering hole”
closing its doors permenantly. Regards kevmac47

kevmac47:
I called in at the Derry yesterday, there is a notice on the door that it is closing down at the end of
the month, due to the downturn in business caused by the building of the motorway. The cafe
had gone downhill over the last few years but it is still sad to see another old “watering hole”

So what’s left up that end Kev,just the Quernhow?

Chris Webb:

kevmac47:

So what’s left up that end Kev,just the Quernhow?

Yes Chris, thats the only one now between Scotch Corner and Wetherby. I stopped using the Quernhow
years ago as it was dreadfull. It was such a shame as it had been the best on the A1.
Ps I read a letter in Truckstop News praising it lately so I wonder if it’s improved?
I can’t see that happening unless it’s had another takeover. Regards Kev.

kev when the derry closes that will be the last of the original transport cafes between newcastle and doncaster, there used to be about 20, the job has changed over the last 50years, the crack was good, no phone box in the cab, left to get on with the job,and regardless where you stopped someone would always go for a few beer’s, that’s when you had comradery on the job, :laughing: :laughing: bumper

Well thats bad news, Lawsons closing down, I was in the Moss that was also owned by the Lawsons the last week it was open,myself Cliffy Robson from Greenside had our breakfasts there, its a L/Chef now. The Derry was one of the first proper transport cafes I was ever in along with Jakeys, Orrell & Brewsters. ,plus lots of drivers from all over, It was a 24/7 in those days, It was allways busy, Pollocks had two drivers on night trunk loaded for London & that was their half way stop slept through the day, & away again. I remember a young lass called Grace worked there, & the Manageress was called Peggy, no nonsence from these two, old Bob Lawson, & Helen Lawson were also about, & their lorry park attendant with the dodgey arm, Happy Days, Larry

hi lads think the Lawson family also owned the clock cafe? for the young whipper snappers that the little chef going north before scot’s corner, :confused: :confused: :laughing: bumper

bumper:
hi lads think the Lawson family also owned the clock cafe? for the young whipper snappers that the little chef going north before scot’s corner, :confused: :confused: :laughing: bumper

That was a nice little cafe,used it many a time. :sunglasses:

bumper:

Bumper the Clock belonged to The Neale Family, they lived in Scuragh Lane , the son raced stock cars at Aycliffe, I believe when thye sold up the went Abroad somewhere, Regards Larry

um!! always thought it belonged to lawson, so who owned the stable cafe at scots corner, :confused: :confused: bumper

Don’t know if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread. We used to run to Hyde at some funny times of the day and night and pre M62 days ( I was still school I hasten to add) Stanedge was the obvious route. I remember two pubs at the top I think they were the Horse & Jockey and the Floating Light. There was also one possibly two cafes on the top as well. We pulled into one of these late one Friday night just after a punch up over two ‘young ladies’. Can anybody remember what the cafes were called.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well thats bad news, Lawsons closing down, I was in the Moss that was also owned by the Lawsons the last week it was open,myself Cliffy Robson from Greenside had our breakfasts there, its a L/Chef now. The Derry was one of the first proper transport cafes I was ever in along with Jakeys, Orrell & Brewsters. ,plus lots of drivers from all over, It was a 24/7 in those days, It was allways busy, Pollocks had two drivers on night trunk loaded for London & that was their half way stop slept through the day, & away again. I remember a young lass called Grace worked there, & the Manageress was called Peggy, no nonsence from these two, old Bob Lawson, & Helen Lawson were also about, & their lorry park attendant with the dodgey arm, Happy Days, Larry

Small world Larry, Cliff is a very good friend of mine, I passed him yesterday at Aycliffe as I was heading for the Derry.
We had a bit of a chinwag on the phone.
Regards Kev.

Yes Tyneside, the first cafe was Motormans, The Standedge Services on the top. The Next Pub was the Great Western, the next cafe was The Blue Peter, & then The Floating Light Pub, carry on over the top & the Horse & Jockey was on the right hand side, where your forked left for Mossley the Next Cafe was Annies at Diggle on the right hand side, where there was a natural spring running into a big trough . . Regards Larry

bumper:
um!! always thought it belonged to lawson, so who owned the stable cafe at scots corner, :confused: :confused: bumper

Dont remember the Stable Cafe, but I remember the Anchor Cafe on the left oppisite the Regent Filling Station, some of Smiles Tipper drivers that used to work out of the Lima & Trinidad Quarry at East Layton Lodged there all week, Regards Larry