oil companys

Tyburn AEC Mammoth Minor Chinese 6 loading alongside a Shell Scammell Trunker 2. Chris

This was a Crow Carrying Scammell contracted to Somerlite Ltd. Chris

Very smart Scammell built in 1934 for the Anglo Iranian Oil Company, the Scammell was from the Pionner design, only 2 of these vehicles were built for this contract but never went into production, they powered by a 160 bhp Parsons Petrol Engine with a 10 speed gearbox. Chris

Scan0002.jpg

Mobil Bedford. Chris

adr:
Tyburn AEC Mammoth Minor Chinese 6 loading alongside a Shell Scammell Trunker 2. Chris

My Dad drove the same Tyburn,s motor but his was based at Ashton -in- Makerfield , he did a lot out of Mobil from Ellesmere Port . I,m sure it was near to what was Bowaters use to go with him in the school hols, they also had a Foden on the same job but that would go to TEBAY most days for the machines building the M6, Don,t remember his AEC reg or the year ( got to be late 60s early 70s )

Boatchaser:

adr:

My Dad drove the same Tyburn,s motor but his was based at Ashton -in- Makerfield , he did a lot out of Mobil from Ellesmere Port . I,m sure it was near to what was Bowaters use to go with him in the school hols, they also had a Foden on the same job but that would go to TEBAY most days for the machines building the M6, Don,t remember his AEC reg or the year ( got to be late 60s early 70s )

Hi Boatchaser, not the best pic showing me by Dad’s Mammoth Minor, but it just shows the Chinese Six axles. Regards Chris

Scan0001.jpg

hi all anyone remember Globe petroleum purfleet early to mid 70s, i was on that until it folded, other old names to remember trident petroleum ultramar arco amoco burmah nafta agip,

Hi Joe tank man,
Good old Oil Company names, makes me quite nostalgic. My Dad did 23 years on for Home Counties Petroleum Products, Oxford, A/D for Mobil. Luckily it was small depot, they were running 7 artics out of there when it closed in the late 80s, so the Depot Manager turned a blind eye to me going with the old man. AECs (Mammoth Minor, Mandator) Scammell Highwaymans, Guys were my upbringing. I on Gas Tankers now, but have worked for Flitwick Oil, Oxford (then Esso A/D ) & also for Watson Petroleum, Brize Norton (Texaco A/D ). One of my older brothers did 9 years with the old man for Home Counties, he going onto Flitwick Oil about a year before l did.
What a job that was, dad used to run up to Wandsworth a lot, and then used to load out of Buncefield for many years.

hi ya chris
watson petroleum are still around based in watford area i think flitwick are now in purfleet but not esso ad anymore they own a bunkering depot and supply own customers,you mentioned a job at wandsworth is that the depot that is now linton.s, i remember going to oxford in the 70s in my globe days i had a milk round of three drops a week three times a week, my first drop was wheatley an old filling station on the very old A40 thats the road where the asda site is but further north then two more in city centre 6 pots of spirit and on a bad day each had to be split using dip sticks, but the pot splitting days are long gone thank god,i work for Thurrock tankers grays we bridge gas oil / kero/ derv into small what i call hose reel depots in the winter then in the summer we pick supermarket work Morrisons Asda etc and i hate the M25
stay safe with all that gas behind you , joe

HI joe I Think Flitwick has now been sold as youwork on Thurrock Tankers is K Saggers still on there

hi carna
yes kevin saggers is still on thurrock tankers probably been on for 2 years or so, he worked for total at at some point, the world is smaller than i thought who else do you know, i did 8 years on British fuels 1994 to 2002 running black oil out of dipping site and BP coryton you probably know drivers from from around this time, lots of us were in les,s cafe for breakfast everyday inc charringtons,bp,lintons,sucklings,
joe

I Worked with Kevin on total is Vince now running Thurrock Tankers

Hi Joe Tank Man,
Wandsworth was the old blending factory, good picture of a Mobil Bedford S Type coming out of the main gate is on page 60 of “A Century of Petroleum Transport”. I worked out of the old Flitwick depot in The Oxpens, Oxford (The old cattle market site), closed now got a College built on there. My best mate is the only Flitwick driver left based in Oxford area since they switched to Texaco, he parks/loads out of Nolan Fuels, Bicester. Flitwick recently taken over by Irish firm (They are certainly getting their pound of flesh out of my mate ha ha!)

adr : I remember an Esso depot on the Oxpens that backed onto the rail sidings where the men would discharge the rail tanks to storage. I worked right alongside them operating a scrap baling machine for Barry Hebborn when he first started, think it would have been the winter of '60/61. Don’t suppose it would meet health and safety regs now, and the baler certainly wouldn’t! :laughing: Then in the bad winter of '62/63 I went driving a tanker for Hartwells Oils, A/D for Shell, when they were down Osney lane. No rail link there, everything came by road from Thame depot. they laid us off for the summer months but said there was a job for the next winter, which suited me as I did other things at that time. Some chaps alternated with that and the coaches for years.

Hi Big G,
Yes I believe Flitwick did un-load on the rail sidings back then, then in later years it was brought in by road at night from Esso West London. It was a good job, Richard in the office on his own taking orders & planning, 1 yard man, 5 drivers, 6 wagons (1 spare, old DAF) all the rest Leylands 3 4 wheelers & 2 6 wheelers. Later on they got rid of Richard in office, put all planning to head office (centralised routeing!) like most others lost the “family depot” feeling! Every friday a straight load of petrol went out & we did it on a rota, you would go out with half a dozen drops, small garages/farms (some still had there own personal little underground tank!), you would be back by lunchtime to go down the pub (100 yds walk) with Rich, have a couple!!! of pints, then if you wanted to wander up to the centre of Oxford for anything (10 min walk) no probs with Rich. Work was done, everyone was happy, job was a giggle! Why is everything today so complicated, is there really much more work done “The Modern Way”?

hi carna
yep vince is still running t,tankers, you must also know Bob Garvey,

joe tank man

adr you said your dad worked for home counties , did he park up at j,w,q, in reading i worked for burmah after j,w,q, is murco at theale still going

Yes i now Bob Garvey well i remember him when he used to drive a 6 wheel tank and have his breakfast at the station cafe Purleetv i was on Tankfreight esso and i got him on Total does he still play football

Hi daf3300,
Ref Home Counties wagon parked at Reading, I have put those details on Bedford TM site. to the best of my knowledge Murco, Theale is still going, one of the lads at my depot has a brother that was on there up to about 6 months ago, unfortunately he got layed off there though.

HI JOE TANK MAN.
Here are some photos of GLOBE PETROLEUM tankers in Scotland from the 1970s. I will try to put the photos on here (I’m just learning how to do this). I worked for Globe in the office at a place called South Alloa, Globe put me through my class one . I passed my test on a Friday and was out driving on the Monday. We had two drops in glasgow, sometimes 3…4 drops all split pots. It was a great time for me to learn I was only 21 and now I think i am one of the longest serving tanker drivers in this area. I loved my job with Globe then we were taken over by JET. I then moved to ICI petrol & BURMAH with R RANKIN of blaydon… then P&O was awarded the contract then after 5 years a company called LINFOX won the contract. Then it went back to p&o how things change in this industry, I have been involved in the fuel distribution for 38 years 35 driving, The biggest difference has been h&safety ,no top loading vapour recovery etc. But i still miss the old days when drivers had time to stand and talk to one another, they dont seem to have any time any more.

Regards

Matt.