Offley ..bros . ellesmere port

anyone know anything about OFFLEY BROS TRANSPORT ELESMERE PORT…also known as OB transport operatiing in the 60s and maybe the 70s engaged in the transportation of carbon black and cargos from liverpool docks,

There are a couple of threads about Associated Octel and OB, as well as a mention of Cabot

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44956&p=507925&hilit=Offley#p507925

I believe there are some photos in Bubbles thread

leighton lad:
anyone know anything about OFFLEY BROS TRANSPORT ELESMERE PORT…also known as OB transport operatiing in the 60s and maybe the 70s engaged in the transportation of carbon black and cargos from liverpool docks,

Hi
OB transport operated until the early 90s they where bought out by a firm called Caird Environmental and also had a Leyland Daf dealership, they sold half of the yard to T Brady & Son Ltd of Barrow who worked in the area for Bridgewater paper co formerly Bowaters and Shotton Paper. I worked for Bradys And was always at Ellesmere port depot. Caird also had a large depot and a landfill site at Barrow and that’s how they ended up with part of OB’s yard.
OB’s motors where green and cream then they went blue just before they became Cairds they did quite a bit of traction for bradys but all sadly gone now and part of the site is a Scania dealers.
Steve.

here yer go fella

wirralpete:
here yer go fella

That tank looks like it’s loaded with anti-knock compound for petrol out of Associated Octel E.Port or Lostock Gralham.I used to take toluene to both plants regularly and IIRC you were not allowed to consume any liquids or food unless it was in the canteen,due to the lead in the atmosphere.
O B Transport were regulars in Shell Stanlow along with Catchpoles.
I’m not sure where I got this pic from so apolgies in advance.Loaded with “Shellsol” ex Stanlow.I don’t know where the pic was taken but I reckon he’'ll be on a dodgy with them curtains shut,unless he was on nights. :laughing:

thanks for the pictures posted… the dafs are much later than my involvement with offley bros which was in 1963… when i was 18 and employed as drivers mate… getting the odd bit of experience driving the 1948 albion which was used as yard shunter… them maybe a drive or two in the carbon black factory in ellesmere port…loading.and sheeting trailers with these square containers … geez i got filthy after only a few minutes work… definitely not a white collar job… I was not a big guy at 18 and my trips to west huskisson dock in liverpool to pick up drums of machine oil from some unpronounceable place in boneo stacked two wide on the flatbed of a twenty four foot TS3 commer… or leyland comet…before the days of DAF commonality… i could hardly move a 55 gallon drum of oil and in reality i never earned my keep other than being the chief hot pie collector for the drivers in waiting… it was a relief to walk down the overpool causway to little sutton and my digs looking like a member of the black n white minstrels… does any one remember the truck park in ellesmere port beside the level crossing and behind a restaurant or was it a pub?
i know the likes of
harold wood . jones of aldridge … suttons of st helens… and various other tanker firms parked up there over night untill some ■■■■■■■ miscreant started stealing lorries from there and i think it was forced to close as a free parking space… leighton lad