Number of Deliveries question

Hello all, Happy New Year & Decade!

Not quite passed my practical yet, but am starting to look round for jobs

1. Generally, how many deliveries on average per day would you do for palletised goods?

2. Generally, how many collections would you do per day on average if you’re working skips?

(And if you know which puts you under more pressure, that’d also be helpful, thank you)

how long is a

string.jpg

How far apart are the deliveries? = one of many questions needing answers

Too many variables to answer your question

Pressure is the nature of the job these days

I do multidrop with furniture we get between aprox 10 and 20 drops a day depending on what the drops are ie do we have to build the item when we get there or just a doorstep delivery and how far we have to travel from the yard to the first drop. The last eta is usually around 3 or 4 depending what time we started

gratiaDei777:
Not quite passed my practical yet, but am starting to look round for jobs

1. Generally, how many deliveries on average per day would you do for palletised goods?

2. Generally, how many collections would you do per day on average if you’re working skips?

(And if you know which puts you under more pressure, that’d also be helpful, thank you)

1. General haulage varies a massive amount. I’ve limited experience with it, only doing it through agency for a smallish local firm. I had 8 drops and 5 collections from memory on Class 2. At the time, it was pallets of paper for printers and that sort of thing. I didnt always complete all the collections and the company were fine. They were more worried about paying me overtime than getting all their collections done !

The guys who deliver top soil and compost etc on pallets by pump truck and tail lift are under a lot of pressure and I know I could personally never do that

1. I’ve never done skip work - I looked into Ro-Ro work once but never did find any paying reasonable - most were well under £10 an hour.

As I understand it, bin work is pretty newbee friendly with less pressure and you get a team with you for tight reverses - Might not sound glamorous but you get experience quickly
Class 2 airport deliveries air-side to the stores are pretty relaxed time-wise.

I looked at my first couple of driving jobs as stepping stones to get experience to get something nicer. Once you get that 12 months experience, lots of doors suddenly start opening.

There’s nothing wrong with joining multiple agencies (Just don’t go Umbrella or sign anything saying you’re responsible for paying damages) - Nothing wrong with telling the odd white lie, how you have experience of moving a mate’s ancient horsebox but not so sure on how a modern tacho works with digicard :wink:

Think the most I’ve had were 13 drops and maybe a couple of collections. But does depend massively as you can only fit a limited number of pallets onto a 18T and some drops will be several pallets.

Skips - have seen some under a lot of pressure if they have loads of drop offs in a morning of the open top type. Saw one guys list and it made pallets look like a doddle.

RoRo skips will be less as its only one per location but you might be best off having ADR for that. Gives options for things like asbestos skips.

You could look at other options like waste bins used for medical waste. Think its SRCL who do that for example and its actually pretty easy. Basically just big wheelie bins.