"Northern Lights" Icelandic Diary

Winseer:

bald bloke:

Winseer:
Thinking of taking a week’s holiday there with my family before long.

I’ve heard it’s not cheap - but how expensive is “not cheap” though?

If I’ve already got bed, board, and travel itself sorted - what else am I going to need money for other than the local food?

I like strong cheese me, but strong fish? Hmm… I’d have to see what it smells like first I reckon.

Hakarl.
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/icelandic-cuisine-hakarl-iceland-fermented-shark.html

… I wouldn’t mind seeing the Aurora whilst there too, but does one have to time the visit right to get that? :confused:

Northern lights are best from September to April as for the stinky fish it does smell rank and I love stinky cheese and even I didn’t bother. As for the cost of stuff it is very expensive but we found restaurants were good quality and the cost of beer was from about £5 for a 330ml bottle upwards to £8 for a 500ml glass of the cold stuff. Don’t do coach trips hire a car and do it all yourself.

Thanks for that last bit - that is news to me there. :slight_smile: I knew about the cost of living stuff, common to all around Scandinavia of course. How much is car hire then, or is it just that the “excursions” are pure tourist trap?

Nice diary mate, winseer me and the missus went for xmas just gone for 4nights with thompson and it is expensive like food/drink etc, in 1 bar down the Main Street we got a beer and vodka/coke (I think) and it was about £20 lol , some places aren’t too bad but it is expensive, nice country though :smiley:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blueovalcraig:
It’s true what they say, every negative is followed by a positive. ( I think that’s a saying although I may have just made that up …)

Great pics. Shame about the breakdowns but at least you got to see some amazing sights.

Some of the sights must have been amazing if he couldn’t stand up (on his feet that is) until the girls had gone. :smiley:

Great stuff, thanks for posting. Just looked at the pictures on the laptop; much better than on my phone and worth the effort.

bald bloke:

Winseer:

If I’ve already got bed, board, and travel itself sorted - what else am I going to need money for other than the local food?

I like strong cheese me, but strong fish? Hmm… I’d have to see what it smells like first I reckon.

Hakarl.
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/icelandic-cuisine-hakarl-iceland-fermented-shark.html

… I wouldn’t mind seeing the Aurora whilst there too, but does one have to time the visit right to get that? :confused:

Northern lights are best from September to April as for the stinky fish it does smell rank and I love stinky cheese and even I didn’t bother. As for the cost of stuff it is very expensive but we found restaurants were good quality and the cost of beer was from about £5 for a 330ml bottle upwards to £8 for a 500ml glass of the cold stuff. Don’t do coach trips hire a car and do it all yourself.

My sister went last year, they didn’t want to pay the ridiculous cost of the coach trip but wanted to see the site so hired a car. She wasn’t sure what routes to take etc so she just found out what time the coach left and followed it!

Castillidie:
My sister went last year, they didn’t want to pay the ridiculous cost of the coach trip but wanted to see the site so hired a car. She wasn’t sure what routes to take etc so she just found out what time the coach left and followed it!

Not many roads there so very hard to get lost, i did some research beforehand and worked out where all the trips went and the cost of it compared it to just paying an entry fee if needed due to having own transport and i worked out the money we saved by doing it all ourselves actually paid for the car hire plus we had the use of the car to come and go as we pleased. These coach trips we noticed were either full of large older type yanks or small older type Japanese niether of which we wanted to spend time with. :wink:

Castillidie:

bald bloke:

Winseer:

Hakarl.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I want to go and see the glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls etc. like this one made famous by the “Prometheus” film.

Great Diary Duck. :slight_smile:

when is part 4 being posted really enjoyed thsi read.plus a mate who been there for a fanfest event enjoyed it hes off back there again i napril next year.saying that most of the food he had was fresh from docks and good selection fish he ever had

I’ll try to get it up over the weekend if possible and if I manage to get a second spare. I flew back to Northern Iceland from Manchester last Sunday and I have had to operate a mobile crane as holiday cover in addition to my other duties so I haven’t had a minute. The way things are looking I’ll be finishing a 12 hour shift soon and then driving back to Reykjavik in a 250 ton crane through the night as the driver didn’t show up at the airport this morning as planned! :imp:

Well I’ve finally managed to get around to part 4 as I didn’t have to drive the crane back to Reykjavik after all.

So Monday morning comes around and I head off to Akureyri airport to pick up Raggi the mechanic a.k.a “The Shrimp” and his uncle Ragnar a.k.a. “The Lobster”.

We collect a new airbag from the local service agent and then head back up the mountain to Þeistareykir power station which sits almost 2000 feet above sea level. By late morning the Scania is feeling better and after loading 25 tons of ballast we decide to do a quick bodge job on the 250 ton Liebherr crane in order to get it back down the hill to Húsavík harbour where we intend to perform open heart surgery!

The afternoon is then spent preparing to remove the engine and gearbox the following day.

IMG_1938.JPG

After a nice breakfast of Icelandic waffles and verbal diarrhoea from some American tourists in the hotel we head back to check on the patient and begin removing the vital organs.

Part way through the operation we’re approached by a gentleman from the national grid regarding a job for tomorrow with the crane! Obviously there has been some kind of misunderstanding and as my Icelandic skills are not the best I let the Lobster-man handle this and start to tie the load down.

Much confusion and several conversations with the office in Reykjavik take place during the course of the afternoon before finally the Shrimp & Lobster Co. tell me everything is sorted and you are gonna take the Scania back down South with the engine and 25 tons of ballast and we’ll take the plane in the morning.

So after refuelling the truck and driver at the Orkan grill in Húsavík I leave town at around 5.30pm with 500 km of Icelandic mountains and several cans of red bull for company.

The trip back to Hafnarfjörður through the night is a hell of a slog… Feels more like 1500 km with a Gardner 150 under the hood as I end up having to drop down into low range on numerous occasions. With very little braking available on the tractor unit, the gearbox, retarder, trailer brakes and ■■■■■■ off driver are working overtime and by the time I get to Borganes I’ve passed 3 trucks that have broken down, a horse box that has lost it’s back axle and have driven through about 100 km of dense fog. Having completely had enough of this ■■■■ I decide to stop for about 90 mins on the deserted N1 service station before continuing onto the Akranes tunnel and back to the capital area, eventually arriving at around 3.30 am.

By the time I’ve had a shower and done some work in the office it’s gone 4.30 am when I eventually retire to my temporary “Reykjavik penthouse” above the workshop as there’s no way I’m going to rent an apartment in town at Icelandic prices when I am staying out onsite so much.

I’m up and about again by 7.30am and as I don’t have very far at all to commute I’m obviously the first one at work.

The company owner rolls up just after 8 o’clock with a bit of a disgruntled look on his face and I pretend to be asleep on a chair with a pair of sunglasses on. It turns out the 25 tons of ballast was supposed to stay up North where it will be needed within a week as the crane has to unload a 100 ton transformer from a vessel in Húsavík harbour! Ooops! :blush: 6 different people were involved including the owner’s brother and somehow I got the message that it had to go back for a job in the harbour in Hafnarfjörður not the harbour in Húsavík!

As punishment I’m sent out to supervise the erection of a tower crane on the outskirts of town and the next day I head back up North again to deliver a 110 ton crane to a customer on a “dry hire” basis.

After showing the client’s operator the in’s and out’s of the machine I meet up with ET transport as our own Goldhofer trailer is busy on the South coast. My job is just to supervise the loading and transport of 2 large silos that are being transported from the harbour to the job site and then it’s time to pack my bags and head back to the UK for 10 days off. :smiley:

Great diary. Very interesting for someone (me) that’s never done anything like that. Wouldn’t ya think they’d have 25 ton of ballast laying about all over the place. :wink:

Wonder how 'duck ’ is getting on ■■ Would love to read another Icelandic crane hire diary :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m off there next week for 3 nights , really looking forward to some wild scenery :smiley:

Mikey D:
Wonder how 'duck ’ is getting on ■■ Would love to read another Icelandic crane hire diary :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m off there next week for 3 nights , really looking forward to some wild scenery :smiley:

Don’t do the organised coach trips they’re full of old Yanks and Japs.

There’s an episode of Harry’s garage(youtube)where he takes an old roller to the northern lights

Had already booked a couple of tours BB :confused:
I guess there’s only fat yanks if there’s a cruise ship in town :unamused: :laughing:
Fly at 2pm today can’t wait :sunglasses:

Hopefully you should get a good showing of the lights tonight depending on cloud. They were seen in Scotland last night and are back again tonight.