A diary of a few snowless days in the (relatively) North

Hello all, here’s a few pics of my work from this week, really need to get a tripod for the camera but I hope they’ll do :smiley:

a sunset near Oslo

this is what 27 440kg of unsorted household garbage looks like, sold by Norsk Gjenvinning in Skien to a power station in Jönköping for the princely sum of 1.- NOK. thank god it’s not summertime :laughing: I believe Norway exports all the trash it creates so it’s a really big business around here.

unloaded in Jönköping friday morning, loaded in nearby Hok for a greenhouse near Bergen, 22600kg of peat. took some work to get the doors closed I tell ya

so am I finally going to see some real nordic weather?

better stock up on supplies in case I do, got some screenwash from Biltema, good for up to -30c when mixed 1:1 with water, as the “winter” screenwash I got in Estonia has an actual limit of around -10c.

this overtook me when I was merging with the motorway

an hour later, driving north, the winter surely had evaded me again…

heard it on the radio on the way down that two norwegian women died here, they had a breakdown on the motorway and when they were checking the engine or smth, the car was rearended by a truck, killing them both…

fueling up in Strömstad, really proud of the fact that I still haven’t used the Burger King next door that’s been there a couple of months now already :laughing:

at the Svinesund border now, anybody guess what those wooden things are on the trailer of the sprinter?

waiting for the ■■■■■■ probably

a merc from Istanbul, on summer tyres

and an italian as well, same tyres

it was helluva busy for a friday night, fortunately my papers were already waiting from me at the agent, a stamp from the customs and off we go

parked up just after Oslo, had a good few hours of driving left on the clock but not in me, had like 500km to Bergen but decided it was better to take 11 off and head up to the mountains with a clear head in the morning. I’ll know next time to close the curtains before doing anything else as the proximity of the layby to a city means the same uncomfortable setting as in many a layby close to a big city almost everywhere I’ve driven - the pink brigade were out en force. not that I have anything against homosexuals but I don’t think I am sending out a message of some kind by just parking there :laughing:

next morning, stretching my legs en route

rise in elevation brings forth the snow eventually

this here is what I like to call a bad luck van - while there are many honest working people commuting back and forth in minivans to their respective homelands and the countries where they work in scandinavia, they usually use vans with windows and it’s usually a newer trafic or smth. an old sprinter means slashed curtains and stolen fuel, usually. it’s a major stereotype, I know, but I’m sticking with it :blush:
this particular one registered in Romania

getting up the Hemsedalsfjell, wind was blowing at 20m per second, so I could understand the grimaces on the faces of the drivers heading east while probably empty

tag up, 13t on the drive, good winter tyres and knowing that there is 14t on the drive if I lift the front axle on the trailer, this was stress-free

and ten minutes later it was all over :smiley:

the longest road tunnel in the world

half an hour later, snow again

and in some places, even quite slippery

passing Bergen, hoping there’ll be a place to park at the drop until monday, google maps didn’t promise too much but streetview was three years old there

but as it turns out, the greenhouse is manned seven days a week so Bogdan (that’s the name he wrote on the cmr) got me unloaded and I headed north with proper haste, as I only had an hour and a few minutes until the end of my working week and Bergen doesn’t really have too many places to park up a lorry for a longer period than it takes to take a leak. after running over my time for twenty minutes I settled on this layby which is nice and solitary for my liking and there is a Shell a few hundred meters down the road, should the need for amenities arise. only the curse of slow internet hovered over the place, as 3G was nonexistent. it was pouring down heavy most of the day, watched a whole season of breaking bad and greased the fifth wheel, the curtain tensioners, the doorhinges, cleaned the plates and the lights and drank a whole lot of tea

to be continued…

thanks for that, interesting stuff and a it gave me a chance to escape the X factor for 10 minutes :smiley:

Thanks for that, enjoyed reading that and the pics also.

Are winter tyres compulsory there or is it just sensible to be using them at this time of year, the Turk and the Italian might have found it hard going if they were going on similar roads to you. I use winter tyres on my car here in the UK and know the difference they make.

I look forward to reading the next instalment :smiley:

Great Reading and good pics! Makes me miss my time in the Norweigan mountins :smiley:
Kör försiktigt!

Danne

Good pictures and a good read.

Excellent read as always, thought you had a lo ride tag axle Volvo on this job? A weekend in a layby? But as you say, nowt in Bergen.

thanks everyone :slight_smile:

selby newcomer winter tyres are compulsory for the truck and from next year also on the trailer. hopefully they won’t be going any further than oslo.

short walk I’ve been driving 3 different lowride volvos and now this, after the holidays, who knows :smiley: I don’t mind a 24 in a layby, have spent weekends in much worse places.

taking a break on my way back east, can say I met the winter I had been waiting for coming back over Hemsedal :laughing: lost traction coming up thanks to a polish midlift, who had trouble spinning out way before I did but he unfortunately left no room to pass for some reason, so with 30t of aluminum in the trailer, I wasn’t going anywhere without chains. took me a while and a little help but got them on nicely :smiley: the midlift got going before me and met him again as he had slid back into the railings in the first U-turn, luckily with a few cm to spare after passing him. by that time Hemsedalfjell was closed coming from Laerdal and as I reached the Vegvesen hut on the other side, there was a huge queue waiting for the ■■■■■■ to be towed. it was quite a day, should make for a nice run down to Örje at least.

Oh I see, just springing at the mo then? Awaiting the next episode…

yes, the thing is that in order to have your own truck, you must be available to drive when the gaffer says so, I prefer to work on my own schedule, eg be home when I want to, that’s not a problem for the boss but it means I’m always changing trucks. right now sitting in Stockholm, parking the truck in Märsta tomorrow where I will be picked up by another truck of ours, we’ll catch the ferry to Helsinki and then the ferry to Tallinn on monday.

so, where I left off was last weekend in Bergen, started driving towards Hoyanger sunday night, Oppedal-Lavik ferry

loading 30t of aluminum to Gränges in Finspang

next ferry, Hella to Dragsvik

Sogndal

Pl-registered truck parked in the middle of the street, to get some directions from the locals.

next ferry, Mannheller-Fodnes

feeling pretty confident here, after all, I’ve got good winter tyres and 16.5t on the drive axle…

local Turlid is going slower than me, but the difference in speed is not enought to warrant overtaking, blind curves ahead as well

Norfolkline not moving forwards much…

Hi! Were in Märsta are you parked up? To bad i didnt see your post a bit erlier. I was just in märsta. Eurostop maby?

so what it came down to was that when me and the norwegian caught up with the polish truck, it was already spinning out, but for some reason he didn’t want to drive on the right for others to be able to pass, forcing us to slow down and thus, spin out as well. fast forward an hour or so of me putting the chains on for the first time (done it on just a tyre before), with most of the time spent trying to unhook one of the chains that somehow :unamused: got caught between the two wheels on one side, got moving again, 50t moving up 8% hill that was slippery as ■■■■, no problem :slight_smile: as a snowstorm had set in, the road had been closed right after us three were stopped.

about 20km later at the checkpoint to enter the mountainpass from the other side. as luck had run out for the polish truck, he got moving before me but only made it 2km or so, before hitting the crash barrier with his trailer in an S-turn, road closed and everybody waiting for him to be towed. I stopped and asked the guys in charge if it was okay to continue, all clear so steady on up to Hemsedal

every layby filled with trucks chaining up

while unchaining in Hemsedal, a norwegian stepdeck stopped in the layby opposite, a guy a few years younger than me jumped out and asked if it was necessary to chain up. I replied that it’s not whether you will need to chain up, it’s a question of when, he then said that he had never done it before :smiley: I don’t know if he was local or not, anyway shared with him all of my knowledge about chains, which, coincidentally, took all of 42 seconds :laughing: and off I went towards Oslo.

next day in Sweden

turk saving fuel

casualty enroute to the baltics presumably

Gränges in Finspang, used to load aluminum sheet rolls to a radiator manufacturer near Lisboa, until the swedish company I worked for got undercut by lithuanians. which by no means I am bitter about, as my current work does not involve being more expensive than the local hauliers :unamused:

so much trash from Norway needs burning that the incinerator in Linköping is being expanded

so, when empty in Finspang I had my fingers crossed that I would either get a load to Finland and from there ship home empty or a straight load to Estonia, as it is that time of the year already, but no such luck, down to Tranas for a load of office furniture to Bergen once again.

and some supplies from Willy’s in Örebro to fend off starvation for a few more days

Fluckinger having a weekly rest or doesn’t have a load, was there in the morning already.

nice and frisky morning in Arjäng (sorry, don’t have the correct scandinavian keyboard)

I didn’t have time to find out if they could fit the load of a 60t timber lorry into a 50t curtainsider :laughing:

nice and quiet at the Örje border. the driver of the latvian Eurobulk Scania was the epitome of an easterner - worn out sportswear, leather jacket, polished shoes and a belly hanging out from underneath. and when all your work consists of running in Scandinavia, it is essential that your knowledge of the local languages borders on the nonexistent. at least he was able to greet the customs officer with a “khello” :smiley:
then again I would not make note of his existence if it wasn’t for his quality driving - I followed him towards Oslo, he was loaded heavy and I wasn’t so when we reached the motorway, I planned on letting the smaller cars pass as it was downhill and then follow suit. but when he started braking downhill while only doing 70km/h, I decided to overtake, as there was a gap in the other lane. but as that was considered a personal insult by the “so-called professional” :smiley: he though it would be best to challenge me into a race. so when behind him, he was braking when going 70 downhill, but when overtaking, I managed to reach 110 before I could see any progress. what a lovely chap :sunglasses:

always thought these norwegian trailers to be hilarious - they look like something my 11 month old would play with :laughing:

Dirty Dan:
Hi! Were in Märsta are you parked up? To bad i didnt see your post a bit erlier. I was just in märsta. Eurostop maby?

Hej Danne, I’m in Stockholm for now, will be dropping the truck off at Stoxa sometime tomorrow and catching the 16.30 ferry to Helsinki

Stoxa is ca 8km from my house! I saw one of your truck at the statiol staion in Häggvik to day was it you?

yep, that’s me, trying my best to find inspiration to clean out the truck as I won’t be driving it come january, although I was offered to continue with the same truck but that would mean I’d had to be on the ferry to Kapellskär on the 3rd and I want to take a longer break. anyhow, to make sure the regular driver is happy to see his truck next year, I backed into one of the concrete barriers here :laughing: broke a reverse light and dented some sheetmetal but the biggest damage was to my self-esteem, as this was already the second crash I’ve had this year! crimpled some plastic on the tipper I was driving in spring, I must be getting old at 31 :blush:

but to continue where I left off, Color Line ferry in Oslo looks familiar…

as it’s quite possibly the same ferry from this thread: Yay for unemployment! Est-Dk-Est-Pl-Est in a few pictures - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

followed by a “low” bridge, which isn’t all that low but get the bells and whistles going as the CB antenna on the Scania goes to some heights

a german couple

an older british lorry. I was expecting a poor perfomance going up Hemsedalsfjell as these random visitors sometimes show but was proved wrong

between Gol and Hemsedal

a couple of two-axled trucks were chained up driving opposite even before I reached Hemsedal, so I figured being a quite crappy driver here, I might have to chain up as well, as it was slick in the village of Hemsedal but when it came to the ascent, it was pretty ok and no need for chains for me

lots of trucks chaining up coming the other way, which is, as I’ve learned the hard way, steeper. the british truck looks to be just taking a break so he managed to get up without chains as well.

and just when I thought that the hard part was over, it wasn’t. around Voss it was slick again, even the locals were chained up. I felt confident enough not to need them as yet again, it’s more difficult coming the other way. saw a romanian puddlejumper in the ditch and about an hour after I went through, the road was closed due to an accident.

furniture unloaded, drove to Knarrevik to load batteries to a place near the Swedish border in Svinesund

this was taken near the place of the photo before the last, it wasn’t slippery or anything, more of a case of a lead foot me thinks

yes, the contempt I felt for the driver of this truck - hehe, such a bad driver, lights busted and all. until I did it myself today :grimacing:

tailgating, never a good idea

going up Hemsedalsfjell again. this time, vegvesen was at the chaining spot, two-axled trucks were told to chain up, three-axled trucks were permitted without them after individual examination. I had 17t of cargo, loaded front-heavy on the trailer, so I was good to go without.

next morning with the trailer empty, heading down to Eslöv, some 400km

garbage trailers hauling ■■■

this looked overloaded enough to garner the attention of a Sprinter that usually deals with larger HGVs :smiley:

the police of all sorts were out today, weighbridge in Helsingborg

well that looks familiar :laughing: 4 years I spent pulling those trailers down to Spain and back. as the company shut it’s doors back in april and the trailers weer auctioned off, I find it hard to see any good use for the trailer, empty weight with a 2-axle volvo was about 21.5t and the old side-doors didn’t really make a habit of keeping cold air inside :laughing: now registered in Poland

the new huge DSV terminal in Landskrona

former RTM terminal in Eslöv, now inhabitted by garbage trucks

trailer loaded with cardboard packaging for a fish plant in Tromsö, made my way up the E4 into a layby inbetween Ljungby and Värnamo

with a fuel stop in Jönköping, always many turkish trucks there as they share the lot with customs

quite a few poor estonian souls heading south on the E4 today, meaning christmas on the road for them :cry:

not too many trucks going north either, just me and a couple of finns, this one grossing at 68t

Här Stannar Sverige, protesting against illegal foreign labour I believe, more than a hundred of them here in Stockholm

Yeah i was in that protest :smiley: we were there whit all our three lorrys,shame we didnt see eathother then…
Great turn out 280 to 300 trucks! And we made the news on tv,So hope we did somthing good!

Nice pics. Ain’t it funny with the scale on the Scania. It’s like every other driver you talk to, everyone about how much weight they had on the drive axle going up the hill. I always start around 15t and then increase it more if needed. Down I usually put around 13-14t so you can use the retarder. Don’t know if I could work with Volvo’s on/of system for the tag any more :slight_smile:
I’m a big fan of that Road 5, one of the few in the South I like, the hole road From Skei to Mannheller ferry is just amazing ending with the tunnel before the ferry nest. I wouldn’t mind living in Sogndal either. Have you got the pleasure of taking the rv53 after the ferry yet up to Filefjell. The pass after Övre Ã…rdal up to the top is quite something :slight_smile:

BTW. Got me a cheap dash cam lately. Amazing quality and it’s not even at the highest settings, just need to work on a better mounting point. Anyway, edited together a short video Going south from Fauske a beautiful winter day this week.
Hope it’s ok to post it.
youtube.com/watch?v=2EvDEv53UXo

fascinating

really interesting mate thanks :slight_smile:

milodon:
Hello all, here’s a few pics of my work from this week, really need to get a tripod for the camera but I hope they’ll do :smiley:

a sunset near Oslo

this is what 27 440kg of unsorted household garbage looks like, sold by Norsk Gjenvinning in Skien to a power station in Jönköping for the princely sum of 1.- NOK. thank god it’s not summertime :laughing: I believe Norway exports all the trash it creates so it’s a really big business around here.

unloaded in Jönköping friday morning, loaded in nearby Hok for a greenhouse near Bergen, 22600kg of peat. took some work to get the doors closed I tell ya

so am I finally going to see some real nordic weather?

better stock up on supplies in case I do, got some screenwash from Biltema, good for up to -30c when mixed 1:1 with water, as the “winter” screenwash I got in Estonia has an actual limit of around -10c.

this overtook me when I was merging with the motorway

an hour later, driving north, the winter surely had evaded me again…

heard it on the radio on the way down that two norwegian women died here, they had a breakdown on the motorway and when they were checking the engine or smth, the car was rearended by a truck, killing them both…

fueling up in Strömstad, really proud of the fact that I still haven’t used the Burger King next door that’s been there a couple of months now already :laughing:

at the Svinesund border now, anybody guess what those wooden things are on the trailer of the sprinter?

waiting for the ■■■■■■ probably

a merc from Istanbul, on summer tyres

and an italian as well, same tyres

it was helluva busy for a friday night, fortunately my papers were already waiting from me at the agent, a stamp from the customs and off we go

parked up just after Oslo, had a good few hours of driving left on the clock but not in me, had like 500km to Bergen but decided it was better to take 11 off and head up to the mountains with a clear head in the morning. I’ll know next time to close the curtains before doing anything else as the proximity of the layby to a city means the same uncomfortable setting as in many a layby close to a big city almost everywhere I’ve driven - the pink brigade were out en force. not that I have anything against homosexuals but I don’t think I am sending out a message of some kind by just parking there :laughing:

next morning, stretching my legs en route

rise in elevation brings forth the snow eventually

this here is what I like to call a bad luck van - while there are many honest working people commuting back and forth in minivans to their respective homelands and the countries where they work in scandinavia, they usually use vans with windows and it’s usually a newer trafic or smth. an old sprinter means slashed curtains and stolen fuel, usually. it’s a major stereotype, I know, but I’m sticking with it :blush:
this particular one registered in Romania

getting up the Hemsedalsfjell, wind was blowing at 20m per second, so I could understand the grimaces on the faces of the drivers heading east while probably empty

tag up, 13t on the drive, good winter tyres and knowing that there is 14t on the drive if I lift the front axle on the trailer, this was stress-free

and ten minutes later it was all over :smiley:

the longest road tunnel in the world

half an hour later, snow again

and in some places, even quite slippery

passing Bergen, hoping there’ll be a place to park at the drop until monday, google maps didn’t promise too much but streetview was three years old there

but as it turns out, the greenhouse is manned seven days a week so Bogdan (that’s the name he wrote on the cmr) got me unloaded and I headed north with proper haste, as I only had an hour and a few minutes until the end of my working week and Bergen doesn’t really have too many places to park up a lorry for a longer period than it takes to take a leak. after running over my time for twenty minutes I settled on this layby which is nice and solitary for my liking and there is a Shell a few hundred meters down the road, should the need for amenities arise. only the curse of slow internet hovered over the place, as 3G was nonexistent. it was pouring down heavy most of the day, watched a whole season of breaking bad and greased the fifth wheel, the curtain tensioners, the doorhinges, cleaned the plates and the lights and drank a whole lot of tea

to be continued…

Nice one :wink:

As above ^^ nice one once again, on a different note this is a long page !!