Icelandic Trucking?

Has anyone on here ever visited the country of Iceland?
If so, would you entertain driving for a living there?

I have got 2 days to choose between a heavylift project manager job based here in the U.K. OR a plane to Iceland and a heavy haulage mobile crane/appointed person type role in Reykjavik!

Iceland is mega expensive BUT food/accomodation are provided as part of the deal…

■■■■…!!!

Considering the entire country has roughly the same population as Leicester I doubt I’d ever get another chance to go there… Good offer to stay here too though…

It’s like waiting for a bus…

Duck:
Has anyone on here ever visited the country of Iceland?
If so, would you entertain driving for a living there?

I have got 2 days to choose between a heavylift project manager job based here in the U.K. OR a plane to Iceland and a heavy/haulage mobile crane/appointed person type role in Reykjavik!

Iceland is mega expensive BUT food/accomodation are provided as part of the deal…

■■■■…!!!

Considering the entire country has roughly the same population as Leicester I doubt I’d ever get another chance to go there… Good offer to stay here too though…

It’s like waiting for a bus…

THERE IS ■■■■ ALL ANYMORE IN THIS COUNTRY! :grimacing: let us know how you get on. :sunglasses: fresh air is free, run and train! Free food and accommodation. Bye. :sunglasses: nothing ventured, nothing gained! :smiley: the birds are fit too. :wink:

I’d say if you were struggling with the options then stay at home.

Eagerbeaver is your man for advice on Iceland trucking

I am going on 20th November :smiley: :smiley:

Outside of work you will be able to see everything worth seeing in Iceland within a few days and Reykjavik is a tiny city with very little going on. It has an atmosphere of a cross between smaller market towns in places like Lincolnshire and similar and Scandinavia outside of the bigger cities.

While it’s your decision, if I was in your position I would think carefully because if I lived in Iceland for any period of time I would become very bored, very quickly. There are only so many whale watching trips you can go on.

I had a week in Iceland and it was the best place I’ve ever been to. Never saw a cross word anywhere, folk were extremely friendly. Yes, it’s a small place. There are less people in the whole of Iceland than there are in Leeds.
BUT.
I don’t think I’d want to live there. Lack of daylight for parts of the year would be an issue.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Spent two weeks there driving around a couple of years ago, absolutely stunning and an amazing place. I’d always wanted to go and wasn’t disappointed. Went in the summer and enjoyed a 4 days of 20 degrees in Akareyri the second city just south of the artic circle!

Daylight all day round made it what it was, but on the flipside that’s a very short window of long days. Most of the year it’s long nights and little daylight which undoubtedly would change things completely.

I’m guessing that although we never found the place busy in their best days, it might get very empty when there is no point going because you can’t see anything.

I’d say go for it. If for no other reason than in years to come you can start a thread on here in the old timers section about your adventures, something like the Middle East or Russia lads have done. [emoji1360]
It’s not like it’s for life, you can always come back. Just don’t forget to take a camera for loads of photographs for the aforementioned thread.

Well thanks for the replies so far… I normally wouldn’t think twice about getting on a plane and going for an adventure but since I started getting involved in the crane industry a lot of opportunities have opened up here in the U.K.

I had been offered a job in Scotland in January doing wind turbine erection but before I went up there I was determined to get my crane appointed person course done and out of the way (which also gave me lift supervisor). In the meantime an old friend got in touch and I ended up in Hull on the offshore wind project with ALE heavylift and was working with the team that put the 75M wind turbine blade in the city centre as part of the UK city of culture and I got promoted to a transport supervisor.

I’m used to travelling to different places and meeting different people and working in the Siemens facility everyday was often akin to a day out at Fort Knox with all the different rules and regulations plus as a supervisor you end up taking flak from both the site manager and the client.

I left last week as I’d had enough of the nonsense and rang around around a few of the other heavylift firms like Sarens and Mammoet as I was thinking of a job on abnormal loads or cranes but have been asked if I would consider going in the office and working as a project manager instead.

I’d say do the Iceland one. If it doesn’t work out you will easily find another uk job but if the uk job doesn’t work out it would be harder to get another Icelandic job. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceland is fantastic went there 18 months ago. And yes I’d love to drive a truck over there.

My brother has been recently for the Northern Lights and loved the place, obviously he wasn’t working or driving (he is a train driver on Virgin anyway, not a trucker) but is already planning his next trip there. Yes it is expensive, but then so are a lot of the Nordic/Scandinavian countries, it’s just that we are used to low prices here in the UK.

Pete.

Duck:
Well thanks for the replies so far… I normally wouldn’t think twice about getting on a plane and going for an adventure but since I started getting involved in the crane industry a lot of opportunities have opened up here in the U.K.

I had been offered a job in Scotland in January doing wind turbine erection but before I went up there I was determined to get my crane appointed person course done and out of the way (which also gave me lift supervisor). In the meantime an old friend got in touch and I ended up in Hull on the offshore wind project with ALE heavylift and was working with the team that put the 75M wind turbine blade in the city centre as part of the UK city of culture and I got promoted to a transport supervisor.

I’m used to travelling to different places and meeting different people and working in the Siemens facility everyday was often akin to a day out at Fort Knox with all the different rules and regulations plus as a supervisor you end up taking flak from both the site manager and the client.

I left last week as I’d had enough of the nonsense and rang around around a few of the other heavylift firms like Sarens and Mammoet as I was thinking of a job on abnormal loads or cranes but have been asked if I would consider going in the office and working as a project manager instead.

So that was what the post was about pray tell us more

Do it! And if they need the best truck driver in the U.K…if not the world drop me a PM [emoji4]

It’s been an interesting day to say the least… Actually, I don’t know what the ■■■■ has happened!!!

Turned down the job in Iceland… Told the owner thanks for the opportunity but the offer in the UK and chance to progress is just too good to turn down right now and maybe I’ll just get a cheap flight to Reykjavik one day, rent a van and do the 800 mile ring road tour of the country to get my Icelandic driving fix…

45 minutes later I got a phone call…

Just get your arse on a plane to Reykjavik… I wanna speak to you in person… I need a general manager for my heavy transport/mobile crane division… Don’t worry about money… Name your price… I’m not playing games… Have a nice day… Bye…

I bought the last ticket available on the 6am EasyJet out of Luton for Thursday morning!

I’m just a bit worried about fuelling up at an Icelandic truckstop after seeing this:

youtube.com/watch?v=YZnsZeR6gD8

That ^^^ is living the trucker dream. None of this playing at it ■■■■■■■■. Fair play to you mate. One of the things I’ve always lived by is the maxim “I’d rather regret the things I have done, rather than the things I didn’t do”. Best of luck buddy. Enjoy.

That Icelandic job stikes me as the sort of thing you’d forever regret not taking. Even if it didnt work out in long run it’ll be a great experience. Plus the opportunity to get out of this miserable country should be taken. Thinking of moving abroad for a while myself

There are more women than men in Iceland, if that’s not a good reason, I don’t know what is a good reason!

I wanna get out of this country, especially since I’ve split up with the now ex significant other. Spain would be my choice though, God knows why given it’s a basket case! Maybe when my kids are out of their teens and living their own lives I’ll take the leap. Good luck in Iceland.