Icelandic Trucking?

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just booked the National Express coach to the airport, no turning back now!

What finally convinced me was receiving a text this morning from my former employer asking the whereabouts of a pair of company overalls and tatty old hi-viz vest (which was 2nd. hand when supplied to me when I started working there).

Kind of realised even though some companies pay well they don’t think anymore of you even when you bend over backwards to help them out and if I had been sacked as opposed to leaving of my own free will they certainly wouldn’t have lost any sleep over it.

In comparison I spoke to the company owner in Iceland and found out he was Icelandic rally champion for many years, competed all over the World in WRC events and his brother is one of Iceland’s top actors. He’s obviously very wealthy but he said he would clean toilets in order to earn money, services the trucks himself at weekends and wouldn’t ask anyone to do something he is not prepared to do himself.

■■■■ it then, why not? Figured I might as well give it a shot…

It’s a fantastic country with lovely clean air hardly any traffic except around Reykjavik rush air, yes it’s expensive but everything is good quality, the countryside is rugged and stunning the people friendly but it can rain a fair bit and has huge differences in weather. You’ll enjoy the lifestyle.

Just don’t go in too greedy. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck Duck.

Post up photos of your exploits when you get the chance. Quack ! Quack ! :wink:

Duck:
In comparison I spoke to the company owner in Iceland and found out he was Icelandic rally champion for many years, competed all over the World in WRC events and his brother is one of Iceland’s top actors. He’s obviously very wealthy but he said he would clean toilets in order to earn money, services the trucks himself at weekends and wouldn’t ask anyone to do something he is not prepared to do himself.

[zb] it then, why not? Figured I might as well give it a shot…

If thats true and its seems like your being "headhunted " I’d be on the first available flight . They want you for something , they see something thats valuable to them - remember that and don’t be afraid to ask for what you want .
You know next to nothing about living costs so tell them that at the interview and ask for a review in a month 3 months time when you know the price of renting / owning a home there .
Go for it - I would

Hope it works out mate, marvellous opportunity and you’re doing the right thing getting out, this country is just about buggered, i’d advise any younger people prepared to earn their way in the world to bugger off and seek a home where decent hard working people are valued and appreciated.

Thanks everyone, I’m waiting for the coach to the airport right now…
NO GUTS, NO GLORY!

Anyway, spoke to the company over here and told them I’m off to Iceland today and they said don’t blame you, go for it! If it doesn’t work out come and see us when you get back.

I’m an expert in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory but even a prat like me can’t ■■■■ this up surely?

Possible (Icelandic) trucking diary to follow, been a while since I’ve done one.

All the best Duck, and look forward to hearing how you get on! :smiley:

Guessing by the lack of updates you’re probably out of your tree on cheap hooch celebrating the new job . Best of luck fella , if you can cope with small town SK you can easily cope with Iceland .

flat to the mat:
Guessing by the lack of updates you’re probably out of your tree on cheap hooch celebrating the new job . Best of luck fella , if you can cope with small town SK you can easily cope with Iceland .

Cheap hooch !! Nothing is cheap in Iceland but the smoked duck fat vodka had a taste of its own !

Haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate… Done about £1000 in already but at least I started work this morning and now the firm has to pay my expenses. Desperate to find somewhere to stay (i.e. apartment) before Easter holidays because it’s very difficult to find anywhere at the best of times. After a sunny day yesterday the temperature has just dropped to about -6C with windchill but it’s Mediterranean like in the cab of the mobile crane right now in Reykjavik harbour. Still got another 2 hours of work left to go and at £36 an hour I don’t mind staying all night!!

c

Good luck with it all, lots of places do happy hour early evening so that’ll ease the cash flow a little ! Also some very attractive females around :wink: but can be quiet in the week .

Looks like a duck , quacks like a duck , etc . Good to see you’ve survived the weekend and are making progress ,you’ll fit in well there :laughing:

I’m only slightly jealous here. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Here’s a few photos for those of you who are fans of the volcanic rock up North.
Been working just over a month and so far it’s the best company, pay and job I’ve ever had but it’s obviously still quite early days. Glad I decided to give it a shot though whatever happens as I’ve loved every minute so far. Icelanders are undoubtedly the friendliest people in Scandinavia and I felt more comfortable here after 2 hours on the job than after 2 months in Norway.

Not envious at all! [emoji17]

I spent a few weeks doing shows there once, got more punctures due to driving on lava ash than any time in history LOL, also a Big Mac was about 20 quid LOL.

Duck have you been to Geysir yet ? Gullfoss falls are also worth a visit ^^.

Yes, I did the “Golden Circle” trip including Kerid Crater during the Easter holidays as I’ve been given a car here to get around.

Now in Costa del Húsavík in the North-East region on a German construction site building a silicon plant where the current temperature is about 2-3C! I thought the British summer was bad enough but tbf it’s only 30 miles or so from the arctic circle and tomorrow it could be 15C or more!! The weather changes VERY quickly… You can have 4 seasons in an hour.

I wish you all the very best in your new venture, if it doesnt work out, you can always look back and say you gave it a go. Ps, i`m looking to buy a cheap hi-viz and a pair of overalls if you can point me in the right direction. :smiley: :smiley: