North Wales Haulage company's

promis:
Hi Charliemjp, The A5 before all the improvements used to sort the men from the boys, it’s like a motorway now but hardly any trucks on it appart from the locals and the odd foreigner going to Ireland following his sat nav,
It was a real white knuckle ride in my early days, backside chewing the seat up! LOL, I remember three of us going to Rogerstone with aluminium it was my first run there so I mentioned this to the other lads hoping to be able to hang on to their back door, their reply was " well you’ll just have to keep up cos were not waiting about for you" !!!, and off we went right foot on the boards all the way to make it in the four and a half, got there with out any dramas thankfully.

hiya,
Any oldies remember when the A5 reached the Reliant factory and their “traffic controller” used to stop the traffic whils’t the three wheeled rolling chassis were pushed from one side of the road to the other to get the bodies fitted, and in those days everything used the A5 en-route to London so by the time they’d finished there was always a canny build up of traffic both ways, but did give you time to roll a ciggie and sort your log book.
thanks harry long retired.

charliemjp:
hi promis , i know what your saying , i would be coming up towards corwen and could here alan , george, john george and the rest of the lads coming down to on C B. one morn i t was very icey corwen area '. went past fish farm heading to bad bends, slowed down on first right and one micks came and he was only going slow. the road was li ke ice rink. we both stopped ,but slope of road slide in to one another, luckly missed cabs corner trailors hit. good times keep writing charlie

I remember one of Mallon bros Saviems copping a bad one on those bends at Corwen one morning with an Irish truck,as you say you needed your wits about you on that road with a 40 footer. I’d often get stopped (log book check !) by the ginger haired copper hiding behind the wall at Betws y coed, Pritchards drivers had already given me the lights ! I used to travel that road daily up to Llanfair pg and Llangefni with a Guy big j in Unipart colours very often had a good crack on the cb with Pritchards, Roberts and Parrys drivers.
I often called at the lion cafe at Gobowen or the shamrock nr. Wellington… good times indeed !

hi all , hi trev h . mallons and chuckie chickens always on A5 , as i said to promis c b always good up A 5 . I CAN REM YOUR GUY on that road .a lot of the time we were on livestock from anglesey. you would prob get stuck be hind us heading back to shrewsbury as the parry s i worked for from bayston hill. we had 2 drivers lived anglesey. the shamrock used to get busy bit tight parking.

wernt Mallons the people who did the wood shavings ? Good memories of the A5 with the likes of Dee valley and S e jones from Ruabon thank you Trevor

Anyone got any pics of D H Jones Hino tippers :question: seem to remember them having a good sized fleet unless it was just me being a little lad at the time :laughing:

nianiamh:
Anyone got any pics of D H Jones Hino tippers :question: seem to remember them having a good sized fleet unless it was just me being a little lad at the time :laughing:

Hi Neil, I remember those Hino’s. Light blue with a white stripe, used to load coal back north out of South Wales colliery’s.
Didn’t they have fuel card/ bunkering service business as well ?

Regards Paul.

Paul John:

nianiamh:

Hi Neil, I remember those Hino’s. Light blue with a white stripe, used to load coal back north out of South Wales colliery’s.
Didn’t they have fuel card/ bunkering service business as well ?

Regards Paul.

Thats the ones Paul

IIRC were’nt D H Jones agents for Hino trucks at one time ?

Trev_H:
IIRC were’nt D H Jones agents for Hino trucks at one time ?

yes. I remember dad bying a Seddon Atkinson 400 8 wheeler from D H Jones early 1980s. They were changing the fleet to Hino because they were agents at that time.

chepstowchap:

Barry Waddy , HI Chepstowchap, thease pics are great i bet the driver of Alf Parrys would be KEN Squeek ,an ex B R S driver one of the old school ,YOURS Barry Waddy

chepstowchap:

chepstowchap:

Hello everyone, and hello chepstowchap , on behalf of my father who has mislaid his specs and can not see the keys , he would like to say that is the picture of the James Shone lorry . Was it taken near Hay on wye ? Dad seems to remember that nearby was a farm that sold potatoes , and several drivers would stop and purchase a bag ! , on their return home .
many thanks Thelma Smith [Mrs]

chepstowchap:

HI CC, great photos, James Shone had this truck from new, and passed to Tommy Wilson later, when would this have been taken? SBF10

steelboyf10:

chepstowchap:

HI CC, great photos, James Shone had this truck from new, and passed to Tommy Wilson later, when would this have been taken? SBF10

Hi sbf10
Going home empty :exclamation: :question: well well well joints never did that.you’v gone and started me off now.cool photo cc as usual :sunglasses: .
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

steelboyf10:

chepstowchap:

Hi sbf10
Going home empty :exclamation: :question: well well well joints never did that.you’v gone and started me off now.cool photo cc as usual :sunglasses: .
Regards Andrew.

LOL, yes we were running home for a 2nd trip to the Midlands…Ha Ha, I have some shots of this truck new, remember driving her when I passed my test, gear box was a bit of a challenge !! but a real flying machine.

About time the Morg made an appearance[attachment=0]29082011845.jpg[/attachment]

29082011845.jpg

cons77:
Here’s some for the firm i work for
is the bosses name colin edge he used to drive for alf parry and son connays quay is nickname was (milko) he used to delilver stel coils to us at wards malton?

There is plenty more where these came from

chepstowchap:

chepstowchap:

j.shones drivers name tommy i believe he is still about at 83 years old now ?

j.shones drivers name tommy i believe still about at 83 year old ?

chepstowchap: