New Zealand Class

Thanks Gorrington and prefix for replying with that information. Accommodation in Auchland was $300 for a room in shared house down in manukau not the best area. Indeed they work you every hour they can, (linfox) i don’t think there are many 48 hour week driving jobs in NZ. I was in Napier which is a beautiful place but very expensive but there were driving jobs.(last year) .
I checked out trademe and found around 20 driving jobs in and about christchurch, The problem is getting a company to sponsor your visa application. i just may be easier to go out there on a tourist visa check out the companies and apply there and then. I found Auckland to be just like any other city, very crowded with some rough districts, it Christchurch is anything like Napier then it can’t be that bad.

$300 for flatting? I pay $220 a week for a 2 bedroom house in the Waikato

Hi Ste164,

You must live way out to get that price-well done.

beg to differ on few things in your post…

First of all, yes, accomodation can be expensive in ChCh but paying $300/wk in Rangiora… …you can get places in ChCh for that price, nothing fancy but still a roof on top of your head. And besides, have you heard of flatting, you can get ‘packages’ (rent+bills) for $180-250/wk anywhere in the city.

Secondly, not every company expect you to work full 70hrs/wk. Yes, there’s lot of them but lot of cases you don’t have to but you can if you want to. In my case, I’ve made it pretty clear that I work Mon to Fri and I’m happy with app. 55hrs/wk and my bosses respect that. Of course, if and when needed, I work more and might even do occasional weekend work but only if being asked nicely. I’ve told my bosses that I’ve got life outside work and they respect it, you can reason with kiwis easily.

And least but not least, ChCh ain’t really that bad. Okay, you’ve lived in London so Auckland might be more your thing but just look at everything that’s happening in ChCh atm, all this development and this opportunity to witness city rebuilding itself and becoming more like us, residents, want it to become. Yes, CBD is pretty messed up but pretty much every week there’s something new coming up, whether it’ll be a new corner pub or just a gap filler but honestly, this city is evolving every day. You just need to get out there and start exploring. And, instead of beers, head out to outdoors, we’ve got such a stunning nature around us, right within our reach. Think about it, you could start you morning surfing in New Brighton and by afternoon you could be skiing in Mt Hutt, only few hrs drive from the city.

In reply to your reply…
I don’t just want a roof over my head in reference to living in Chch, I want a small one bedroom house with a bit of garden and a bit of privacy. This is impossible to find in Christchurch for $300 a week everything included. I am a grown man and definitely do not want to share a place or go flatting . That’s why I live way out in Rangiora.
Re working hours, I have talked to many employers and it does seem to be expected that you work to the maximum hours or close to it. If you’ve found a reasonable guy that let’s you work 55 hours then we’ll done,they are few and far between.
As for my free time… I’ve done exploring. I’ve done nature. I’ve been round the world several times and have no wish to surf or climb mountains. I want a decent pub with a few friends and some live music on a fri/sat night.
Also, some semblance of public transport to get home at night would be good too… But NZ doesn’t seem to really do much public transport.

I have mulled no over a bit recently. I’m young enough to do a two year working holiday visa. Would this be an advantage or do I really need to have a proper visa to be taken seriously? Is their plenty of rural work? I think I fancy a bit of South Island rural living over North Island bustle.

Saw this article in the Herald today:

nzherald.co.nz/business/news … d=11579723

It’s the same old story. 5 years ago I saw an article from the Christchurch Press saying trucks were parked up due to driver shortages, and about 2 years ago the boss of Temuka Transport (Canterbury) was saying he was so desperate for drivers they could stay at his house!
All this whilst NZ is experiencing record migration, mainly from Asia with the new arrivals possessing little practical skills, and generally wanting to settle in Auckland.

How desperate is NZ for truck drivers? Well I have a Class 5, which is useful for my work as a HD mechanic, but I wouldn’t call myself a driver. Despite this I often get asked to drive for various people and companies. I explain I am not a trained driver, so they offer to train me up. I don’t want to change occupations, but this sure makes a mockery of Immigration NZ’s stance that truck drivers are not skilled workers. :unamused:

I’ll do it! :smiley:

They reviewed the skill shortage list as recently as December 2015 but didn’t return truck driver to the list (it was removed a couple of years back). My dream is to migrate to NZ, but I can’t get a visa that will lead to residency.

I’m a truckie as they are known down this way. . There are opportunities a plenty petty much all over Nz…Some companies are now being forced into becoming accredited with immigration Nz… To get over seas drivers.

adoptedkiwi:
Some companies are now being forced into becoming accredited with immigration Nz… To get over seas drivers.

How does this work if the job is not on the official skills shortage list? I know there are temporary visas available around Canterbury but these do not give access to permanent residency.

ORC:

adoptedkiwi:
Some companies are now being forced into becoming accredited with immigration Nz… To get over seas drivers.

How does this work if the job is not on the official skills shortage list? I know there are temporary visas available around Canterbury but these do not give access to permanent residency.

Difficult to explain in a few sentences… No driver will gain P.R.
Straight off the bat.
Work to residence is the way in.
1 Employer must be accredited with imm.Nz.
2 Salary min. $55000pa. Based on 40hr wk. (Roughly $26.50 hr)
3 (offer of employment /medicals/police clearance?)

I personally know two guys who are going through this process. They were on work visas, but are putting their application in for work to residence visas… PS. I’m based in Auckland

How many truck driving jobs actually meet that minimum pay though? My knowledge of NZ is obviously negligible but I’m sure I recall reading that with the exceptions of perhaps petrol tankers and the like, that no other driving job in NZ paid enough for PR purposes, especially on the South Island or perhaps anywhere outside of Auckland which appears to be the NZ version of Toronto or Vancouver in Canada or London in England etc and not typical to the country in general.

robinhood_1984:
How many truck driving jobs actually meet that minimum pay though? My knowledge of NZ is obviously negligible but I’m sure I recall reading that with the exceptions of perhaps petrol tankers and the like, that no other driving job in NZ paid enough for PR purposes, especially on the South Island or perhaps anywhere outside of Auckland which appears to be the NZ version of Toronto or Vancouver in Canada or London in England etc and not typical to the country in general.

I’m sure it’s fair to say that the majority don’t meet the min pay, that said its unlikely they would be registered as accredited with NZ immigration.
Pacific fuels are advertising on trade me & seek this week.
I know Fontera pay way above $55000. (Dairy)
Swing lift drivers (containers)

adoptedkiwi:
I’m sure it’s fair to say that the majority don’t meet the min pay, that said its unlikely they would be registered as accredited with NZ immigration.
Pacific fuels are advertising on trade me & seek this week.
I know Fontera pay way above $55000. (Dairy)
Swing lift drivers (containers)

Bearing in mind that Brits aren’t generally looking to be economic migrants to the former colonies and NZ housing costs v UK the NZ immigration policy seems to be setting that wage threshold at an unrealistically high prohibitive level.While,like Canada or Oz,it should really be free movement in the case of anyone who can prove Brit decent from before NZ or Canadian independence date and/or any family links whatsoever with previous Brit emigrants there. :bulb:

you will never be rich as a truckie in nz. and if you are getting the good dollar then you wont be seeing much of the “lifestyle” we all move here for. “the kiwi way” is lets say the same as the old paddy way…

Hi I’m Interested to move to NZ. This thread has helped me. I’m in the process of training for my class 1. I understand I need a minimum of 6 months experience first. Does anyone have any information in terms of agencies and what I would need to do in terms of visas etc.

Thanks

Bit confused on how to actually get into NZ via the Canterbury skills shortage thing… Had a look at some Class 5 job listings in the area (mainly Christchurch) and they all say that you need to be a NZ resident or have a work visa :confused: For those that have managed it, how?

I have been in Christchurch for 8 years now, and have kept my eye on the driving work recently on trademe.co.nz and it’s clear to see the big boom is without a doubt over, I want to get back on the road (had enough swinging a digger around) but the class 5 jobs simply aren’t there anymore

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hijack a thread.

I’m from the UK but my dad is a kiwi so I am eligible for citizenship. I have a conditional job lined up but a requirement is a NZ class 2 driving licence. My question is what is this? I understand class 1 is a car in NZ?

Can anyone advise what the best way to go about this would be? Is there a UK equivalent I can get before I go over and then transfer it once I get there?

Or should I wait until I get to NZ and just start from scratch there?

I would prefer if possible the 1st option but not sure if its possible.

Thanks.

A class 2 is any vehicle from 3.5 tonne up to 18 tonne, it’s far easier to get over in NZ, you will have it one day after doing a days course on fatigue and logbook, have a look on some websites such as mainland driving, candrive, masterdrive, they should tell you more