Moving to New Zealand

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about moving abroad sometime in the near future and being a driver Australia is out on the skills list but I understand that New Zealand has a shortage at present.

Could anyone in the know give me any info on this and what work is about, currently class 1 in UK.

Thanks

Not sure of the ins and outs but my mate went about six months back. He went on his partners application as she is a teacher but I think been a driver is relatively easy to get in.
Plenty of work license is a straight swap but cost of living is fairly high.

I can live with the increased costs as long as they are not stupid, it’s a change of lifestyle for the family I guess and from what I know it’ll probably be harder work than I do now but that I don’t mind

as far as i know truck drivings not something that will easily get you permanent residency ,you need a company that is accredited and the wage needs to be a certain amount and its a type of figure that is beyond most drivers wage. its been covered in here before if you can do a wee search.

I shall have a search once home thanks for the info

Might be worth holding back for a short while with the move, considering the same myself but read a report from NZ immigration regarding removal of the occupation from the issl list, from what I can gather the latest review is due out imminently so keep an eye out.

Have a good look through some of the posts on this forum, plenty of folk in NZ who give good information about the reality of truck driving in NZ, both pleasant and unpleasant.

I imagine its similar to the Canadian threads, if you get a job with a “good” company the experience is totally different to those who are not so fortunate and have serious regrets.

Personally I get the impression its currently similar to when I started in the industry in the mid 80’s as a young lad, looking back history has a habit of repeating itself so perhaps it will follow the same path as the UK, on a similar note friends I have out there who are not in road transport say a type of Americanisation seems to be occurring, some will like that, some will not.

The view I adopt is where ever one is in the world one can be happy or miserable, its what the individual makes of it, extenuating circumstances taken into consideration.

Good luck with your decision :slight_smile: