New Pass - First night tonight

Hi folks,

i passed my class1 about 3 weeks ago now and i got myself a job doing night trunks.

Im excited and nervous at the same time :joy: I feel like i have forgot half what i learned :see_no_evil:

I learned in a class 1 shorter trailer, this job is the full length trailer so,

Do i need to go further out at a right or left turn before turning, [til i kinda see the kerb in front of me disappear ] What is the difference between taking a corner like that or swinging over the wrong side of the road then turning the corner [ as long as no trafic oncoming] i take it itā€™s the tightness of the turn?

and on bends in the road, make sure my front wheels are on the white line to avoid my trailer hitting the kerb.

coupling - was taught to lower the suspension, reverse just short of the trailer, make sure its all lined up. Go under a wee bit, they then told me to raise suspension to ride height and go back to get pin. Ive seen videos where people raise the suspension til they see the trailer lifting a wee bit?

its a double decker as well :joy: :joy: :joy:

baptism of fire :fire:

But im really looking forward to it,

I think i have the company driver trainer with me for the first week or so, so that will be good and im sure he wont be expecting the perfect driver.

I may have passed my test but the real learning starts now.

Thank you.

Most corners you take thereā€™s no need to go swinging over to the wrong side of the road. On bends on the road, even tight ones, thereā€™s no need to have the wheels on the white line and if doing so youā€™re likely to smack the mirrors of an oncoming wagon because your drivers side mirror will be overhanging the opposite lane.

Yes back under the trailer until the fifth wheel is under the front then lift the suspension right up to the top. Until you get used to it once itā€™s lifted up put handbrake on, stick it in neutral, get out and look underneath and make sure that the fifth wheel is touching the bottom of the trailer. Then reverse back until you hear the trailer pin go in then do a tug test.

When dropping the trailer put the trailer brake on, wind the legs down first all the way. Take air lines off, pull fifth wheel, pull forward a few inches to disengage the pin then drop the air suspension on the unit all the way down to the floor and pull out SLOWLY. The front of the trailer will still drop a bit if itā€™s loaded and if you pull out too fast it can bend the legs/damage the rear mudguards of the unit.

1 Like

I guess ill post on this one.

First bit of advice is Take Your Time donā€™t let anyone pressure you easier said than done i know but if you rush you will make potentially costly mistakes. They wont get rid of you for not doing it as fast as the more experienced drivers they probably will if you smash the kit up.

road positioning is something that you will get used to but as a general rule of thumb on a left hand bend hug the white line right hand bend hug the curb obviously being careful of the trailer headboard and any street furniture. If you have your seat position and mirrors set correctly you will be able to see the trailer wheels and adjust accordingly.

Hooking up. the reason you wait till you see the trailer lift is then you know the 5th wheel is definitely in contact with the bottom of the trailer. If you do it just to ride height and hope it could be some clown has dropped the trailer with the suspension raised and you will miss the pin.

I always raise the suspension on the wander lead/ remote if possible that way i can stand outside the vehicle and watch the trailer legs and see when they leave the deck.

Final bit of advice is donā€™t worry if you make a mistake donā€™t worry if it takes you 4 or 5 shunts or even more to get on a bay. You said that you were used to shorter trailers so i assume they were twin axle these will turn slightly faster than a tri axle and have a different pivot point as well which will be on the middle axle rather than between the axles.

Also remember mirrors mirrors mirrors ill never forget a story i was told by a friend of mine. He was asked after his first day of lessons if he could possibly bring a comb with him the next day. When he asked why he was told well you use the mirrors for ā– ā– ā– ā–  all else so you might as well do your hair!

1 Like

And donā€™t listen to folk, other drivers, warehouse men, forkies etc. ā€œAll the other drivers do itā€. Youā€™ll hear that a lot. As someone else said, youā€™re like a ships captain now. Theres only one person responsible for that wagon and thats you. So you be sure. Theres no shame in getting out and having a look. Or having a shunt on a reverse. I still screw up reverses now and again and Iā€™ve been in this game for nearly 40 year.

Hopefully you get on well with the driver trainer and can make the best use of him. Remember heā€™s there to help you not assess you!

As old Fred Chappell once said to me long agoā€¦ā€œwell nowā€™s your chance to learn, get yourself down the road with itā€ It was an 8 wheel Atki tipper with about 100 ton of coal on it :laughing:, I was only a young lad, never driven owt better than a 4 wheel Commer. That was a start to a great working life on the road.
Nice and steady until you get the feel of it and all will be well.

Hope you had a good first night and all went well.

We get artics down there all the time mate

2 Likes

:grinning:

ā€œOnly 5 minutes up the road mateā€

What makes an excellent night driver is being good at cone tiddlywinks with the back of the trailer in roadworks :nerd_face: Iā€™ve excelled at it since someone on here recommended it.
As grumpy said steady away and itā€™ll all fall into place. Hope it went well.

1 Like