C+E Tips

Done my first couple of shifts with a unit and 45ft trailer. Gone OK not hit anything or made a complete idiot of myself.

What the work has left me with is a few questions in certain areas that i was hoping the more experienced may be able to help with.

1. Finding going forward ok (big shock) the trailer follows and cuts in less than i expected on the whole. Where I am uncertain is sharpish 90 degree turns and 3rd exits on the smaller roundabouts. Think its because im used to watching the class 2 in the mirror and following it through. Feel like i am guessing more when its out of the mirror. Have the fear of swinging into a yard and hitting the gate.

2. Watching other drivers it seems positionong is a big part of reversing. Had a big problem reversing into a side road when i missed the sign for a delivery. Wasn’t leaving enough room for the front to come around. Good job it was night and the industrial estate was dead cus took me numerous attempts. Guess what im asking is is there a rule for getting in position to always give yourself the best chance i.e not makng it hard for yourself.

Not wanting to sound blunt but dont want get some training responses. Ive done it and found it marginal use. Just hoped some experienced drivers would be gracious enough to provide some real world advice to someone at the point of being out there trying to learn the job.

Thanks in advance

Give yourself more room than you think you need, dont rush, be patient with yourself and be ready to get out and look.

This really cant be taught beyond the basics - which you already know. It’s practice and perseverance.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Give yourself more room than you think you need, dont rush, be patient with yourself and be ready to get out and look.

This really cant be taught beyond the basics - which you already know. It’s practice and perseverance.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

+1

and you’ll still have drivers been doing it for years and still hit anything within 5ft :wink: :wink:

I start on artics on monday and I’ve been thinking the same about sharpish turns and smaller roundabouts, having learnt in wagon n drag which was a lot smaller and followed a lot better on corners. I guess I’ll just have to take the first few corners as wide as possible and see how the trailer reacts, brickin it though lol

things i found as i did class 2 for a bit before getting class 1:

take your time, its best to be slow, steady and safe than fast, reckless and crash.

go wide, but keep enough room for the unit to move if you need it to.

if in doubt, STOP! handbrake on and look around.

i was rubbish at reversing onto a bay with a truck either side of me, i found if i took my time, took a few tries but i did it, even had a few drivers come up on my first few weeks saying “you’re new aint ya, just turn the wheel like this and go like that and you’re in!” found other drivers to be really helpful and kind!

lastly, don’t be afraid if you see another driver to ask them, 99% are happy to help and talk to you.