New owner driver

Fergusons are worth a shout at Corpach, i do an odd load for them and have talked to a few of there subbies while loading and all seem happy enough, lad been with them for years has just bought a brand new tag Volvo and works out of Fort William but lives at Bathgate

chaversdad:
Fergusons are worth a shout at Corpach, i do an odd load for them and have talked to a few of there subbies while loading and all seem happy enough, lad been with them for years has just bought a brand new tag Volvo and works out of Fort William but lives at Bathgate

They did advertise for subbies not so long ago, so I followed it up, as they are decent company who I`ve done work for in the past.

I didn’t hear anything for a bit, so followed it up with another chat, and was told they were sifting through the “pile” of applicants and that they would get back to me ……

Still waiting :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:

chaversdad:

They did advertise for subbies not so long ago, so I followed it up, as they are decent company who I`ve done work for in the past.

I didn’t hear anything for a bit, so followed it up with another chat, and was told they were sifting through the “pile” of applicants and that they would get back to me ……

Still waiting :open_mouth:

Its the scenery , everybody wants to work out of Fort William , tbh i prefer it in the winter , nightmare this time of year

Old John:
I’m assuming that you live around central Scotland somewhere.
If that’s the case, then instead of looking for south work, which is unlikely to be good, why don’t you look west and north?
There are biblical volumes of round timber to be moved and the companies that are involved in the work are often receptive to approach by reliable and resourceful subbies.
Some of these firms have grown into fair sized businesses, but remain family owned and run and when you talk to them, you’ll get right to the main man first time.
I don’t know you, but if you want a V8 with alloys and stacks, and happy to spend the weekend polishing the fuel tank, forget it.
However, if you’re happy with something light like an FM Globetrotter tag and proper timber skelly with payload getting on for 29t you’d be unlucky not to make a decent living. It’s not the wild west type job it used to be, and there are some very nice outfits on the job up there.
Some other advice I hope you’ll take.
(1) Get some figures together. Projected income and expenditure based on your discussions with potential customers and suppliers.
(2) Take the above to an accountant and ask his opinion on the viability of your business model. If you get the right man, his fee will be the best money you will ever spend.
(3)If he thinks you’re good to go, don’t dive in and buy a truck. There are some very good rental/leasing deals to be done just now, and while on the face of it they will appear more expensive than financing a used truck, the risk management element they offer is priceless in your circumstances. In short, if you have some capital available, keep it. You’ll be terrified by how much you have to spend on running costs before you get your first payment in. (You may be eight to ten weeks before money starts to come in and if you are busy, fuel alone will not be far off £1k per week.)
(4) If I haven’t scared the keech out of you with all this, ■■■■■ on, and best of luck with it. You’ll do yourself a lot of good if, to begin with at least, you keep your eyes and ears wide open and your mouth tight shut, never be caught talking when you should be listening!!
PAY YOUR BILLS, always, always. In full and on time, then even if you find its not working as you hoped it might, you will be a man of respect who can walk away with your head up and your reputation intact.

Jings, I feel the better of that mega rant!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your problem is similar to all the English hauliers who once tipped in Ecosse are looking for a decent rate back to England,since time began as far as I am concerned the Scottish clearing house /haulier would not give an English haulier the steam of there porridge.