New Curtainsider arriving no straps required

rob22888:

robroy:
I just strap everything these days…end of.
I even strap light pallets of cardboard with down the side internals.

Yea, thats all well and good until you get somewhere that load the light cardboard pallets through the backdoor & then you have to faff about unbuckling the curtains after loading to apply the straps. And then you find the tip at the other end is back door too, so then your opening the curtains again to take all the straps off before you can go on a bay… straps, that you know as a seasoned pro were serving no purpose other than vanity anyway. And it’s raining. And it’s windy. And half your internals were knackered so you couldn’t do it properly anyway.

Talk about a soul destroying pointless load of messing about.

Dare I jest that the £100 fine might be worth it for all the hundreds of times you have got away with it? :blush: :blush:

It’s got ■■■■ all to do with vanity mate, and I aint going to repeat again why I do it.
It takes all of 10 15 mins to loosen curtain and unclip for them to barrow them off.
If I was in a job where I did not have time to prevent and avoid an unneccessary fine in such a simple way, I’d be looking for another one. :bulb:
And as for the 100 quid…I would rather shove it down a drain than give those ■■■■ s the satisfaction of getting one over on me.
Hope that explains it.
:unamused: …ffs :unamused:

Not questioning your justification for doing what you do, just putting forward the arguement for why so many don’t in regard to light palletised loads, I don’t blame drivers either way.

The enforcement of load security on curtains is a total farce.

rob22888:
Not questioning your justification for doing what you do, just putting forward the arguement for why so many don’t in regard to light palletised loads, I don’t blame drivers either way.

The enforcement of load security on curtains is a total farce.

And I agree with you, it has no bearing to reality and just another stupid rule made by those who in real terms know jack ■■■■ about trucks and trucking.
Maybe as a conspiracy theory they are banking on drivers not being arsed to strap cardboard, or know some are under presssure from bosses to go like hell so no time to do it,… who knows.
As I said, I aint rushed, I’m on hourly pay and if the job takes an hour or so longer every day, so be it.
I just play their stupid ■■■■ games safe in the knowledge that they will make nothing from me in their revenue raising excercises.

I used to do a night shunt from…

Wakey to Leeds, that’s all the job entailed. The trailer was a double decker, not a 16 footer but a 14 footer (ish) with two decks for the low pallets that had to be shunted back and forward.

Everyone who did it used to load them on, button it all up and tip them at the other end no problem. Then the firm has a roll-over and of course every pallet including the top deck now has to be strapped.

I can assure you that strapping 52 pallets with the curtains flapping about, whacking you round the neck on a windy night and getting yer arse soaked to the bone is, about as much fun as stubbing your toe.

If was going down the road with it, yeh sure, I’d strap it for the sake of vanity but a 6 mile shunt going back and forth all night?..no chance.

the nodding donkey:

TiredAndEmotional:

the nodding donkey:
In EE 90 percent of driveski much tysksi when drive, and to many not clue not to drive in opposite direction traffic. Watch many video on yourtube when drunkski driver crash.

Hope you do understand that English is the guys THIRD foreign language that he speaks :wink:

Hopefully you are as good as he is in other languages before you take a ■■■■ about his writing abilities. :wink:

I am. Actually, I’m beter.

Your spelling could be better though… :grimacing:
[/quote]
My spelling is beter than your quoting.
[/quote]
Touche! :grimacing:

TiredAndEmotional:

the nodding donkey:

TiredAndEmotional:

the nodding donkey:
In EE 90 percent of driveski much tysksi when drive, and to many not clue not to drive in opposite direction traffic. Watch many video on yourtube when drunkski driver crash.

Hope you do understand that English is the guys THIRD foreign language that he speaks :wink:

Hopefully you are as good as he is in other languages before you take a ■■■■ about his writing abilities. :wink:

I am. Actually, I’m beter.

Your spelling could be better though… :grimacing:

My spelling is beter than your quoting.
[/quote]
Touche! :grimacing:
[/quote]
:laughing:

All loads should be strapped.

If its company policy not to, ask for it in writing that they will cover ALL fines and legal cost regarding unsecured loads.

Il carry on securing loads how i best see fit, as its my license, money and freedom thats on the line.

Concretejim:
All loads should be strapped.

If its company policy not to, ask for it in writing that they will cover ALL fines and legal cost regarding unsecured loads.

Il carry on securing loads how i best see fit, as its my license, money and freedom thats on the line.

Exactly that. :bulb:

The bottom line is that it’s not just you paying fines, it’s your licence that’s on the line and they can’t take that for you, even if they pay the fines. The other thing is that if you lose a load on top of someone, you’ll have to live with that as well.

Hence the freedom part, its alright doing it thousands of times, it only takes that one in a million incident which could potentially change/ruin your life.

potato boxes loaded 2 high from the headboard with no gaps “should” come under this “positive fit” nonsence. God knows how I managed 10 years ago when it was 90%+ of the work I did. Potatoes from all parts of the UK and Ireland to all parts of the UK and Ireland and never had a box full or empty move an inch.

I saw a motor about 3 or 4 months ago which had a full load of tattie boxes on. it was on a straight dual carriageway on the A11 west of Thetford, it was parked on the side of the road with the drivers side curtain undone. There was around 400yds of potatoes lying across the road and also some boxes. I really cant think why you would load something like that that is heavy, double stacked and not strap it. If I was a copper I would have your license if I caught you.

Just an update. I have been using he trailer this week and I have to say it’s very clever. I’ve never seen these straps suspended on elastic belts before. It’s a Lawrence David trailer. No excuse for not strapping as you just pull the internal strap along the rail, clip one end in the trailer hook, then go the other side pull the slack and then ratchet finish. Takes about 5 mins more than no straps at all. No throwing or winding up.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure that’s the system that brewery dray lorries have.

Is it the Strap Safe system?

That’s the one. It’s really good.

I occasionally pick up K and N foreign curtainsider trailers with the wooden/alloy side bars and short fold down side walls.

Do the same strapping rules apply?

puggy:
I occasionally pick up K and N foreign curtainsider trailers with the wooden/alloy side bars and short fold down side walls.

Do the same strapping rules apply?

That would all depend on whether or not the same rules of gravity apply to the load when that trailer is on its side or upside down??

P Stoff:
That’s the one. It’s really good.

They’re a pain in the arse…

We load 26 potato boxes. It is far quicker than flinging straps over and rolling them up afterwards. Ideal for our work