XL trailers

What’s the score with having to strap pallets down on an XL trailer? I tried reading on dvsa but not sure I’m understanding it correctly.
If it’s a positive fit, within 80mm of back doors then no straps required?
Dvsa talk about having to secure 100% of weight forward, 50% rear and 50% sideways but XL curtains only secure 40% sideways according to them??

Over 400kg ?
Still got to be strapped

New pastures

Under 400kg internals.

Over 400kg ratchets.

The curtains support 40%, the internals make it over the 50%. It’s a system to be used in conjunction to qualify as XL.

Dont get me started on this.

Its more flimsy rules using sub standard equipment that will only ever leave a driver in the ■■■ while companies send out goods packaged in such a way that they can’t satisfy customer requirements if secured properly or be secured legally (ahem, Coca Cola etc) but its of course the drivers fault regardless.

Just adds to the perceived confusion. I regularly carry pallets of 25kg bags shrink wrapped on a pallet total 1 tonne weight, if i use ratchets, they become slightly loose in transit, if i use internals they dont budge at all, but if i have used internals and get stopped i would get fined. :confused:

Above posts are out of date aren’t they?
movingon.blog.gov.uk/2014/09/22 … -vehicles/
“50% of the total maximum vehicle load to the side. So you would not need to use additional lashing or other load security solutions, as long as you have loaded the goods with a positive fit”

Moving along was the code name used by DVSA enforcement years ago when Nolan’s attracted their attention, the slogan still can seen on some of their fleet.

From the above blogpost:

So you would not need to use additional lashing or other load security solutions, as long as you have loaded the goods with a positive fit

However there are all sorts of potential problems lile multidrop as mentioned later on, plus both trailer and curtains need to be rated to that specific level not just curtains. On ours there’s a certificate on the front of the trailer.

So in theory you can get away with it, but would be careful not to fall onto any of the traps.

If I have well stacked and wrapped pallets, I’ll just strap the last plts, and any single plts.
If dodgy wrapping, or single plts then internals. They might not be legally required, but it saves clearing up a mess. Ratchets on any thing like timber etc of course.
But square-ish pallets, just a cross on the back and run.
As said above, body and curtains labelled.

Tarmaceater:
Moving along was the code name used by DVSA enforcement years ago when Nolan’s attracted their attention, the slogan still can seen on some of their fleet.

MOVIN ON

The easy solution to this non-problem is to not work for companies that use curtain-siders. There’s enough jobs out there on fridges, boxes, tippers, tankers, to name a few where you don’t have to worry about this rubbish.

Franglais:
“50% of the total maximum vehicle load to the side. So you would not need to use additional lashing or other load security solutions, as long as you have loaded the goods with a positive fit”

Reading that then just strap last 2 pallets of a positive fit unless those last pallets are basically touching the rear doors then nothing is required.

drover:

Franglais:

Reading that then just strap last 2 pallets of a positive fit unless those last pallets are basically touching the rear doors then nothing is required.

Yep.

Next question can a load be classed as a positive fit if it’s round metal drums of tomatoes on pallets? I think not if there are gaps between the drums?
I haven’t seen this load yet but others tell me it’s x4 to a pallet & drums are not even secured to the pallets and pallets not strapped down at all.

DCPCFML:
The easy solution to this non-problem is to not work for companies that use curtain-siders. There’s enough jobs out there on fridges, boxes, tippers, tankers, to name a few where you don’t have to worry about this rubbish.

I have to…

Agree with this. I left Mason Brothers because of all this ‘yes no yes no yes no’ about strapping bollox. I had no intention of spending another half an hour in the pouring rain strapping empty spud bins only to take the ■■■■ things off ten minutes later. I only drive solid walls now.

Curtains should be banned and everything shipped in boxes and before you all say it can’t be done, I don’t see the USA using curtains.

I have no interest in jumped up DVSA bods/pointy shoes despatchers/uncle tom cobley an all telling me to put two straps over an empty pallet.

drover:
Next question can a load be classed as a positive fit if it’s round metal drums of tomatoes on pallets? I think not if there are gaps between the drums?
I haven’t seen this load yet but others tell me it’s x4 to a pallet & drums are not even secured to the pallets and pallets not strapped down at all.

If the drums are not secured to the pallets?
Clearly not secure. The pallets might be touching the sides, but the load isn’t.
I don’t know what the DVSA would say, but I wouldn’t carry it without summat more. Lots of wrap would do it, but banding would be better.
Failing that long corner boards if you can get them, with straps.
It isn’t a palletised load…It is a loose load sat on pallets.

Franglais:

drover:

Clearly not secure. The pallets might be touching the sides, but the load isn’t.
I don’t know what the DVSA would say, but I wouldn’t carry it without summat more. Lots of wrap would do it, but banding would be better.

Alternatively…

Reverse your box trailer up to a loading dock and let the shipper take some responsibilty for making sure his goods are safely transported instead of, hoping they’ll stay inside a curtain.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

drover:

Alternatively…

Reverse your box trailer up to a loading dock and let the shipper take some responsibilty for making sure his goods are safely transported instead of, hoping they’ll stay inside a curtain.

What would happen with a fridge or box given that suggested load? Steel barrels of tommies put on pallets without being secured to the pallets?
I still wouldn’t accept it. Would you?

Franglais:
What would happen with a fridge or box given that suggested load? Steel barrels of tommies put on pallets without being secured to the pallets?

I see what…

You’re saying that it isn’t as straightforward as that but, as I’ve already stated, in the USA a huge percentage of cargo is loaded into box vans. I’m almost certain that would include barrels. How they are loaded, I have no idea and it’s not my problem. Load lock bars and extra pallets to block are all I use now.

My point is, the manufacturer should be putting greater efforts into the safety of their own products rather than, expecting a third party haulier to take all the risk.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

I see what…

You’re saying that it isn’t as straightforward as that but, as I’ve already stated, in the USA a huge percentage of cargo is loaded into box vans. I’m almost certain that would include barrels. How they are loaded, I have no idea and it’s not my problem. Load lock bars and extra pallets to block are all I use now.

My point is, the manufacturer should be putting greater efforts into the safety of their own products rather than, expecting a third party haulier to take all the risk.

I do agree that goods should be suitably packaged and palletised.
Drums firmly secured to pallets can equally safely moved in a box, fridge, or XL trailer.

yourhavingalarf:

DCPCFML:

I have to…

Agree with this. I left Mason Brothers because of all this ‘yes no yes no yes no’ about strapping bollox. I had no intention of spending another half an hour in the pouring rain strapping empty spud bins only to take the ■■■■ things off ten minutes later. I only drive solid walls now.

Curtains should be banned and everything shipped in boxes and before you all say it can’t be done, I don’t see the USA using curtains.

I have no interest in jumped up DVSA bods/pointy shoes despatchers/uncle tom cobley an all telling me to put two straps over an empty pallet.

Used to deliver 4metre long fibre cement roofing sheets, don’t quite know how I could have got them in through the back door.