Strapping curtainsider loads

I know there has been quite a bit on here about this but my search function is not working at moment. My company uses fridge trailers all the time but now has a collection a few times a week from a bottled water supplier. They borrow a curtainsider for this but there are no internal straps on this trailer and the company insist that it is not necessary to strap the load. Obviously this is not correct and I wanted to know if anyone has a link to the relevant legislation so if I am asked to do this run I can refuse if the proper means of securing the load are not supplied. I am sure they will just say that the other drivers have done it but I am not prepared to risk my licence but want to cover my job as well. Thanks

Germany started all this strapping business due to the cost of clearing up shed loads.
The UK started it but now you do not have to strap.
Dvsa have now said the curtains are ok to secure the load if they are load bearing and strong enough.
For your water load ,place some pallets on the rear pallets and ratchet strap them.
I did this with bottles from Spain.No movement.
I have loaded in many places with not strapping.
Goods out staff said nothing.
But some loads will need securing with forwards and rear movment.Hope that helps.

12642 XL trailers won’t need strapping if you have a load which is a positive fit and that means 26 pallets to back doors and no more than 80 mm between pallets and curtains . movingon.blog.gov.uk/load-secur … -vehicles/

Ask them for company headed paper stating that this is their company policy and they will pay any fine incurred by the driver due to a insecure load. Get them to sign and print by a descion maker.

See if that might get them to buy straps, all you need is enough for one trailer so it’s not going to break the bank.

topdog1606:
I know there has been quite a bit on here about this but my search function is not working at moment. My company uses fridge trailers all the time but now has a collection a few times a week from a bottled water supplier. They borrow a curtainsider for this but there are no internal straps on this trailer and the company insist that it is not necessary to strap the load. Obviously this is not correct and I wanted to know if anyone has a link to the relevant legislation so if I am asked to do this run I can refuse if the proper means of securing the load are not supplied. I am sure they will just say that the other drivers have done it but I am not prepared to risk my licence but want to cover my job as well. Thanks

Why do you need a taut,one of my back hauls was bottled water and I got it on a fridge ok,just had too make sure you pushed them tight up together,got you fit though :exclamation: :exclamation:

What merc0447 says.

They can be a bugger to strap though because there is nothing firm on top to strap over. The best way is to put corner boards on or an upside down pallet. Can’t they do it in a fridge? That would probably be easier, even if you have to truck them up to the front.

bald bloke:
12642 XL trailers won’t need strapping if you have a load which is a positive fit and that means 26 pallets to back doors and no more than 80 mm between pallets and curtains . movingon.blog.gov.uk/load-secur … -vehicles/

This isn’t necessarily correct. An XL rated trailer will have a certificate indicating the capacities for front/side/rear and they don’t always manage half the weight of the payload sideways and almost never manage 100% of the payload forwards - therefore the load would need restraining as well.

As an example - an XL rated curtainsider with a 27000kg payload will likely only be certificated to 13,500 DaN for the headboard (50%) so for forward movement the load will need restraining and internal straps will not suffice.

A label I have here shows only 10,500 DaN to the sides yet the payload is 27,000 kg meaning the curtains will not support 50% of the weight sideways and further restraint will be required.

The XL certificate will also stipulate the required coefficient of friction between the load and load bed and also load and load … this is usually higher than can be achieved without friction enhancing material. If the coefficient of friction is not high enough - the XL certificate is void. They normally stipulate around 0.6 whereas a standard wooden pallet is only around 0.3.

Unfortunately VOSA tend to simplify things a bit in their moving on newsletters and appear to be completely ignoring the coefficient of friction …

I could go on and on but … I know - it’s boring :unamused:

at least strap the back 2 pallets either over the top
or through 2 standing upright pallets