My little friend

I’m so sorry to hear Joel’s story.

My heartfelt condolences go to Joel’s family at this difficult time.

R.I.P. Joel.

poor little mite,
it just goes to show what a nasty viscious killer leukemia is.
as much as i treat mine with contempt, its always in the back of my mind that its just patiently waiting for me to let my guard down so it can have another go at me.
RIP Joel, please god take good care of him because now he is in your hands.

Deepest condolences to little Joel,s family and yourself mate at this sad time, may he rest in peace as all his pain and suffering is now over.

I am not religious but I hope that he is looked after wherever he is now.

God bless little fella!

Joel always called me Shrek due to my size, tihs was me at his Christma party recently which we had early as we knew he wasnt going to make it to the end of December.

The thing is his mum has just said I should dress as Shrek at his funeral I think it could be a little bit disrespectful she says its ok and in fact encourages it.

Should I or not?.

Go for it Jammy, funerals should be a celebration of life not death, and Im sure its what he would have wanted, may he rest in peace, what a truly heart wrenching story :cry: , kinda puts my problems into perspective.

My thoughts go out to his family

Go for it. :wink:

go for it

jammymutt:
The thing is his mum has just said I should dress as Shrek at his funeral I think it could be a little bit disrespectful she says its ok and in fact encourages it.

Should I or not?.

Blimey Jammy, IMHO that’s a very tough question indeed.

If it were me, I don’t think I’d dress as Shrek to attend a funeral.
IMHO, respect is a strange thing. On the one hand, you have Joel’s Mum’s wishes to consider, but that may need to be balanced with a general respect for the venue and the religion concerned.

Thanks DD, its Joels mum who has asked me to do it, I am the one who is hesitant about doing it I dont think it is in good taste but his mum is one of them open and lovely people who doesnt worry about anything.

She was the first person I ever spoke to the day I came to Newark I used to chat her up at the petrol stationwhen I was going to work, fortunately we never did get together she has been married 3 times and we have often sat and lautghed about it that we wouldnt have l;asted 5 minutes together as we are both very strong willed people who can laugh and joke about life sometimes.

I
gave her away at her wedding 2 years ago but she said i wasnt giving her away i was to be her best man (thats her humour) she has also asked that I say something at the funeral as my speech at her wedding was apparently very good I have tried to write something for the funeral but thats a very very hard one to think about.

I dont even have the first line yey the only thing I do want to say is that if there is a GOd why are here today but I dont think thast would go down too well in the Church.

I penned this last night for the local paper this week im not a poet im not even sure if its the right thing to say but I think it came from the heart.

Joel my little friend,
No more pain,
No more needles,
No more Chemo,
No more hospital,
No more worrying,
No more sleepless nights,
Now you can sleep,
I love you mate.
Shrek

6 foot ■■■■■■■ 6 21 stone and screaming my eyes out over a keyboard !!! :blush:

Go for it as it is his mam wishes what would Joel wanted you do to :question:

You could always put your clothes in the car and if you dont feel right dressed as Shrek you can change

But at that age it should be a celebration of his life all be it short

Remember how he was full of life make that the main focus of your speech

Sorry that the best I can do

i like this one
Goodbyes are not forever.
Goodbyes are not the end.
They simply mean I’ll miss you
Until we meet again!

I would say “jammymutt” as his mum has asked you to dress as Shrek at his funeral it is a very hard decision to make as you don,t want to be disrespectful to the little fella as you say, but is it what he would have wanted and if you think yes then go for it.

Just think you maybe carrying out the little fellas last wishes as he isn,t here to ask you.

You are not being disrespectful to his family or the religion / church etc. as think about people such as motorcyclists etc. when they are at a funeral they have motorcyclists in all their gear etc.

As one post says you can always change at the church if anyone complains (which I don,t think they would).

It is a difficult decision for Alex to make, but as it is really a day to remember Joel, a few smiles will probably help his mum and friends cope easier.

Funerals for children are a very distressing thing so a little bit of light humour and cartoon music will help many through a difficult day. I dont have a lot of religious tolerance.

The alternative may be using a few Shrek photos and making a short slide show to run on a loop during the service.

The word “Funeral” begins with Fun.

I read about joel in todays nottingham evening post.
Its a cruel world in which we live.
RIP joel and i`m sorry for your loss jammy.

Put it this way Jammy, can you imagine the little lads face when he looks down on the funeral and sees you dressed as Shrek, if its a big beaming grin you have your answer.

Our sincere condolences go out to Joel’s family, friend’s and of course you Jammy. We have been in tear’s here just reading this page.
If that’s what Joel’s Mum want’s go for it Shrek.

No words, but many, many thoughts. Am so sorry to hear your news. (((HUGS)))

There was a piece in tonights Derby Evening Telegraph tonight Jammy mentioning the time when Joel led the Rams on to the pitch at Pride Park.

A SIX-YEAR-OLD Derby County fan has lost his three-year battle with cancer.
Joel Picker-Spence, of Farndon, Nottinghamshire, was diagnosed with leukaemia on New Year’s Day in 2005.
Following treatment, Joel went into remission but the disease quickly returned and, in August this year, he was too unwell to have a bone marrow transplant.
Joel had been a lifelong Derby County fan and, in September, lived his dream by leading his favourite football on to the Pride Park pitch.
Before the game against Birmingham City, Joel was given a tour of the stadium, met players and had a kick-about with mascot Rammie.

The funeral is today 12 oclock at the main church in town, Anne was married in the same church last year at 12 oclock.

Rather than hymns, she said they would play three of his favourite songs – I Want It All from High School Musical 3, You’re Beautiful by James Blunt and Coldplay’s Fix You.

Dont know about many of you but You’re Beautiful will pull me to pieces the song reminds me of my mum, Also the song Fix you he used to travel to the hospital in Nottingham QMC singing QMC tried to fix me but they couldnt OH how right he was.

newarkadvertiser.co.uk/joel/ there is a condolence book here if youy would like to leave a message, I decided against the Shrek outfit but WILL be wearing a pink tie as it was Joels favourite colour.

Today is the day of nightmares for ANY parent..

itvlocal.com/central/news/?p … oid=259761

Jammy will probably post this later, but I just watched it on the ITV loop, 2nd item down. Very very sad and tearjerking. At least Joel had some good friends to support his family :frowning: