Really shit news

For the last couple of years, my niece (21 yo) has been going to the doctors complaining of pains in the side, and each time has been told that its a grumbling appendix, or muscle strain, or period pains. A couple of weeks ago she went back because she was in excruciating pain when laying down, and they finally sent her off for a scan. Turns out she has got a 16cm tumour on her ovaries, which has also spread to one of her kidneys. Its too large to operate atm, so she has got to go through chemo to see if they can shrink it enough to operate.

She’s only been in the family for 3 years after my brother got together with and married her mum, but it feels like she’s always been around. Lovely girl, why do these ■■■■■■■ things always gave to happen to youngsters?

I’m very sorry to hear of your niece 's health problem. There are a lot of youngsters who get these problems, and these days with modern medical methods which has vastly improved over the years, they have ways of sorting these things out . Though it mystifies me that they don’t investigate earlier , I was nattering to some youngsters in hospital just before Christmas and there were a number of similar cases to your nieces, & of similar age too. Perhaps there isn’t an easy way to diagnose the problem.

Although it’s earth shattering news about your niece , they should be able to sort it for her, as I said modern medicine has come a long way . I hope she makes a full & speedy recovery.

Cancer is a ■■■■■■■■ Did for my boy, and he was a fabulous kid. :imp:

My sister in law was diagnosed a having a water infection which got worse an worse but she never asked for a second opinion, in the end it was discovered it was cancer and it killed her in her late thirties.

Feel for you and your family. As bonnie lass said, it’s mystifying that things aren’t investigated sooner. It took me about ten years to be diagnosed with sleep apnoea.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope her treatment is speedy and successful.

Well, she’s in now, had the picc line fitted, and is geared up for 6 months chemo. They’ve said that the large one in her ovaries can be operated on, and in the grand scheme they’re not so worried about, but the kidney one is around the main blood supply to the kidneys and presents a major risk for an operation. They’re hopeful that the chemo will shrink it enough to make it safe to cut out. We’re hoping that as its been going on for 2+ years, its going to be not so aggressive and will be treated OK.

Thanks for the good wishes, not seeking sympathy, just needed to have a good rant!

Good luck!!!Love and best wishes :smiley: :smiley:

Tim

Best Wishes from me too !!!

When my stepson was ten years old he kept getting pains in his legs, he would wake up every nigh crying in pain, the local doctor just said it was growing pains. Six times in a couple of months we took him the doctors and got the same response.
On the seventh time I was taking him and was about to kick off when the receptionist said I could see the new locum, he then referred the lad to hospital the next day.
It turned out he had non hodgkins lymphoma and spent the next year in hospital and was touch and go a few times, thankfully he is a fine 21 year old slob, I mean student :laughing: he still has to get checked every year. (we call it his vets appointment :laughing: )
I hope it all turns out as good for your niece.

my old man suffered with stomach ulcers for years ( that’s what the doctor was treating him for). eventually it became unbearable so the doctor condescended to send him to hospital for a small exploratory op . he went down to the theatre at teatime and was dead by 8 o’clock , cancer had spread to every part of his body . he was 47 .

It’s a ■■■■■■■ horrible disease, looking forward to the day when it is consigned to history. Elle is the only one of all of us who keeps smiling through it, can’t believe how positive she’s being. She’s had her head shaved today to raise money for the teenage cancer trust - started her just giving site last Friday, and has raised over £1000 in just the week. They’ve said the prognosis is good, as long as they can shrink the secondary on the kidneys, they should be able to operate fully successfully.

Some good news. Hope it keeps getting better.