My issue with the brexit deal

Franglais:
“Flooded with cheap labour”?
We have currently a 4% unemployment rate. That’s low by any standards, and some economists argue that going below 3% is bad for a country. (Obviously though it’s bad for those out of work).
Wage differentials are changing all over the world. It is a time of flux. That is not a uniquely EU problem and leaving will leave us more in competition with lower paid economies than now.
How many knowingly voted to be worse off?

“We used to have a mighty empire”.
True. We haven’t now.
So look ahead rather than try to ride on the coat-tails of the past. Building a future for us and our kids won’t be done crying over past times. The Victorians were forward looking, they didn’t just hark back to the good ole days of Hereward the Wake did they?

“They need us more than we need them”?
We import a third of our food from the EU.
They buy about 44% of our exports.
We buy about 10% of their exports.
Our economy is based about 80% on services…people and offices, easily moved…
The nonsense about them crawling along to sign deals has long been proved to be wrong hasn’t it?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

The 4% unemployment low is down to people on zero hour contracts claiming universal credit and the old tax credits .An absolute fudge of figures !

Beetlejuice:

Franglais:
We have currently a 4% unemployment rate. That’s low by any standards, and some economists argue that going below 3% is bad for a country. (Obviously though it’s bad for those out of work).
Wage differentials are changing all over the world. It is a time of flux. That is not a uniquely EU problem and leaving will leave us more in competition with lower paid economies than now.

True. We haven’t now.
So look ahead rather than try to ride on the coat-tails of the past. Building a future for us and our kids won’t be done crying over past times. The Victorians were forward looking, they didn’t just hark back to the good ole days of Hereward the Wake did they?

The nonsense about them crawling along to sign deals has long been proved to be wrong hasn’t it?

The 4% unemployment low is down to people on zero hour contracts claiming universal credit and the old tax credits .An absolute fudge of figures !

So are you saying employment is over 4%?

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

Franglais:

True. We haven’t now.

Yes .
So are you saying zero hour contracts are full time positions paying a guaranteed weekly wage ?No and yes it is a huge lie 4% my back side let alone 3% .
More fake news .

Beetlejuice:

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

Franglais:

True. We haven’t now.

Yes .
So are you saying zero hour contracts are full time positions paying a guaranteed weekly wage ?No and yes it is a huge lie 4% my back side let alone 3% .
More fake news .

I would be more interested in what % of people are fully employed in terms of living on their own wages without universal credit and housing benefit topping them up. It will be a lot less than 97%

Franglais:

Rjan:

Franglais:
We have currently a 4% unemployment rate.

And we all know that statistic is codswallop, in the same vein as the “driver shortage”.

When Britain had such rates in the 60s, you could walk out of a routine job in the morning and be in another job in the factory next door by the afternoon, and wages were inflating healthily.

There is not the slightest evidence of such conditions today.

There are changes and issues with the way of measuring unemployment agreed. But these are the official figures.

Edit to add.
Wage structures are changing now agreed. But surely much of that is due to the global changes in the work market and is not due to us being in/out of the EU area?

Like I say, the official figures seem to me to be codswallop. They do not integrate with other statistics (like wage levels), and they do not reflect a subjective feel of bosses being desperate for labour.

As to whether being in the EU is responsible, I think we are all coming around to the notion that free movement across borders is detrimental, and that mass net movements of workers are symptomatic of an economic problem, although it’s not fair to lay the blame for everything (or even most things) purely at the EU’s door.

Even on immigration, for example, this Tory government still has the highest-recorded level of non-EU immigration.

Rjan:

Franglais:

Rjan:

Franglais:
We have currently a 4% unemployment rate.

And we all know that statistic is codswallop, in the same vein as the “driver shortage”.

When Britain had such rates in the 60s, you could walk out of a routine job in the morning and be in another job in the factory next door by the afternoon, and wages were inflating healthily.

There is not the slightest evidence of such conditions today.

There are changes and issues with the way of measuring unemployment agreed. But these are the official figures.

Edit to add.
Wage structures are changing now agreed. But surely much of that is due to the global changes in the work market and is not due to us being in/out of the EU area?

Like I say, the official figures seem to me to be codswallop. They do not integrate with other statistics (like wage levels), and they do not reflect a subjective feel of bosses being desperate for labour.

As to whether being in the EU is responsible, I think we are all coming around to the notion that free movement across borders is detrimental, and that mass net movements of workers are symptomatic of an economic problem, although it’s not fair to lay the blame for everything (or even most things) purely at the EU’s door.

Even on immigration, for example, this Tory government still has the highest-recorded level of non-EU immigration.

Even if the National unemployment rate were low (I’m no longer saying it is) then if labour is available from abroad, it would mean no need to increase wages etc.
Although we have labour coming in from the EU currently, leaving wouldn’t necessarily make an improvement for us:
Michael Gove addressing the worries of farmers about labour, has said the Gov would allow in labour from outside the EU. I think it was last Feb he spoke about even cheaper labour from Ukraine and Vietnam? He said seasonal, but it still depresses local rates and it’s easy to see which way the Tory Leavers wish to go.
Those who think Brexit means less immigration and hence better pay are in for a rude awakening!

Franglais:
Even if the National unemployment rate were low (I’m no longer saying it is) then if labour is available from abroad, it would mean no need to increase wages etc.
Although we have labour coming in from the EU currently, leaving wouldn’t necessarily make an improvement for us:
Michael Gove addressing the worries of farmers about labour, has said the Gov would allow in labour from outside the EU. I think it was last Feb he spoke about even cheaper labour from Ukraine and Vietnam? He said seasonal, but it still depresses local rates and it’s easy to see which way the Tory Leavers wish to go.
Those who think Brexit means less immigration and hence better pay are in for a rude awakening!

No surprise that your argument is all based on the selective idea that we can only ever have a Tory government after Brexit.When it’s obvious that the idea is all about us then having democratic control over our own country.In which case vote real Labour get real Labour without EU free movement of labour and capital and competition rules coming to the rescue of the defeated Cons.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

No surprise that your argument is all based on the selective idea that we can only ever have a Tory government after Brexit.When it’s obvious that the idea is all about us then having democratic control over our own country.In which case vote real Labour get real Labour without EU free movement of labour and capital and competition rules coming to the rescue of the defeated Cons.

Up to now only one party has been stting the framework of rules for our leaving the EU.
Immigration rules are in the remit of any party in power, it’s true, so I’ll stand by my statement that Brexit doesn’t mean an end to immigration of cheap labour. It could mean even cheaper labour comes in.

Edit.
“Taking control of our own borders”
is being taken by most as meaning a cut. Typical politico speak however: it doesn’t actually say that, does it?

Franglais:
Immigration rules are in the remit of any party in power, it’s true, so I’ll stand by my statement that Brexit doesn’t mean an end to immigration of cheap labour. It could mean even cheaper labour comes in.

Edit.
“Taking control of our own borders”
is being taken by most as meaning a cut. Typical politico speak however: it doesn’t actually say that, does it?

It ‘could’ also just as easily mean that we vote and get a government which decides to ditch free market economics.The difference being that there would be no EU Commission standing in its way in that regard.You don’t also say that for some reason though.Probably because it doesn’t fit the script of your pro EU Federalist agenda.

Labour - are not ever going to vote a deal through Parliament. May has deliberately made her deal so awful that even Remainer parties won’t go for it. “It would be too damaging to Parliament”…

Thus, March 29th approaches us like Lancelot approaching the castle… Everyone is thinking “It ain’t getting any closer”…

but then…?

No Deal completed by March 29th - is fine by me.
To complete No Deal, we need the alternative infrastructure in place, and all senior civil servants unwilling to comply - handing in their resignations by that point, on pain of losing their pensions should they be sacked for “salary fraud” after that date.

I like Corbyn’s way.
Which is just to stay in the customs union but I always assumed you can’t pick and we would have to accept free movement of people.

If this is not the case and we can stay in the customs union while not allowing free movement I’m definitely for it.

But what ever happens now I just want it done by the 31st March.
Because this uncertainty ■■■■■ people need to know what’s going to happen.

I’m also glad the peoples vote has given up lol. This could of extended this crap even longer. I suspect having Vince cable championing it the guy who famously promised to halt tuition fees then when in power tripled their cost hasn’t helped.
It’s shame really if the liberal Democrats didn’t sell themselves out they would probably be doing well right now. suppose they are the champion of lies now saying they respect the original vote while trying get it recast.

the maoster:
Guys, it was a picture stolen from interwebland, but let’s not let that get in the way of the increasingly frantic and hysteria laden drip drip drip from project fear shall we? This country wasn’t built by shrinking violets terrified of their own shadows, just what is it that you remoaners are in fact terrified about? Does the idea of standing proud really scare you so much? Better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

Discuss :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just “Urraa!” patriotic slogans - populism.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

milesahead:

the maoster:
Guys, it was a picture stolen from interwebland, but let’s not let that get in the way of the increasingly frantic and hysteria laden drip drip drip from project fear shall we? This country wasn’t built by shrinking violets terrified of their own shadows, just what is it that you remoaners are in fact terrified about? Does the idea of standing proud really scare you so much? Better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

Discuss :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just “Urraa!” patriotic slogans - populism.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

I think we should be careful with terms here:
I would be happy to describe myself as being “patriotic.”
But would feel unhappy to be “nationalistic”.

adam277:
I like Corbyn’s way.
Which is just to stay in the customs union but I always assumed you can’t pick and we would have to accept free movement of people.

If this is not the case and we can stay in the customs union while not allowing free movement I’m definitely for it.

That remains to be seen. For most Labour Leavers (the voters I mean), I imagine free movement of people is the single biggest issue at stake. I’d be surprised if those Labour MPs who support some sort of Brexit, will be satisfied with continued free movement of people, because it’s what their Leave voters are predominantly concerned about.

Even Corbyn, who is frequently ambivalent about it in his current role, basically accepts that mass net immigration is undesirable.

The Tories have a number somewhat concerned about immigration, but they also have a larger number who are concerned more about more free trade and exposing people in Britain to more of the global market. That’s why non-EU immigration has gone up to a record high under the Tories without a whimper from any of their MPs, because that’s not the issue they are really concerned about.

I’m also glad the peoples vote has given up lol. This could of extended this crap even longer. I suspect having Vince cable championing it the guy who famously promised to halt tuition fees then when in power tripled their cost hasn’t helped.
It’s shame really if the liberal Democrats didn’t sell themselves out they would probably be doing well right now. suppose they are the champion of lies now saying they respect the original vote while trying get it recast.

The Blairites haven’t given up on a “people’s vote” yet, although I think it is becoming apparent that support for it is massively insufficient.

The LibDems only did well in the context where they appeared to be positioned to the left of Labour. Even if they hadn’t revealed themselves as Blairites, with Corbyn in place the LibDems don’t stand much of a chance.

The LibDems are basically now a reservoir of liberal Tory types - the sort represented by the likes of Ken Clarke in the Tory party.

Beetlejuice:

Darkside:

Beetlejuice:

Franglais:

True. We haven’t now.

Yes .
More fake news .

I’ve just chucked in an agency for trying to shift me from a ZHC to a 1 hour one. That would oblige me to work at least one shift per week for only one hour - rather than them just pay me for sitting on my arse, as I’m not prepared to work any 5 from 7, nor even any 1 from 7 as it stands. (I’ll work when I’m available, which is Sundays - NOT be forced to work mid-week for less pay, and be obliged to drop a better-paid shift to accommodate them!)

Rjan:

adam277:
I like Corbyn’s way.

That remains to be seen. For most Labour Leavers (the voters I mean), I imagine free movement of people is the single biggest issue at stake. I’d be surprised if those Labour MPs who support some sort of Brexit, will be satisfied with continued free movement of people, because it’s what their Leave voters are predominantly concerned about.

Even Corbyn, who is frequently ambivalent about it in his current role, basically accepts that mass net immigration is undesirable.

The Tories have a number somewhat concerned about immigration, but they also have a larger number who are concerned more about more free trade and exposing people in Britain to more of the global market. That’s why non-EU immigration has gone up to a record high under the Tories without a whimper from any of their MPs, because that’s not the issue they are really concerned about.

What’s daft is that in any future elections, The Tory Remainer Wets like Soubry and Rudd - would probably be the ones losing their seats straight to LABOUR rather than the Libdems. I can’t see how they can hope to keep their seats now… UKIP splitting the vote might reduce the tally needed to be the winner in this seats, so there is actually the remote possibilty that these two could lose 2000 votes at the next election with their 3-figure majorities respectively - only to hang on to the seat - because the Labour tally drops faster than the Tory one! Something like Soubry getting 15,000 votes, Labour getting 14,000, and UKIP getting 10,000… How awful that would look if she held on despite losing 10,000 votes - and increased her majority ten fold, and back to four figures to boot! :angry: :frowning:

The Blairites haven’t given up on a “people’s vote” yet, although I think it is becoming apparent that support for it is massively insufficient.

The LibDems only did well in the context where they appeared to be positioned to the left of Labour. Even if they hadn’t revealed themselves as Blairites, with Corbyn in place the LibDems don’t stand much of a chance.

The LibDems are basically now a reservoir of liberal Tory types - the sort represented by the likes of Ken Clarke in the Tory party.

Winseer:
What’s daft is that in any future elections, The Tory Remainer Wets like Soubry and Rudd - would probably be the ones losing their seats straight to LABOUR rather than the Libdems. I can’t see how they can hope to keep their seats now… UKIP splitting the vote might reduce the tally needed to be the winner in this seats, so there is actually the remote possibilty that these two could lose 2000 votes at the next election with their 3-figure majorities respectively - only to hang on to the seat - because the Labour tally drops faster than the Tory one! Something like Soubry getting 15,000 votes, Labour getting 14,000, and UKIP getting 10,000… How awful that would look if she held on despite losing 10,000 votes - and increased her majority ten fold, and back to four figures to boot! :angry: :frowning:

There are some strange figures going on there just between 2015 to 2017.Turnout increases by around 2,000.UKIP loses more than 4,000.Labour gains around 4,000.Cons gain around 2,000.LibDems go more or less no where never being an issue anyway.It seems obvious that UKIP will need to take enough votes from both Labour and the Cons in places like Broxtowe to take the seat and for Brexit to stand a chance of sticking.The first question in that case being where did the 4,000 + go in 2017 and why let alone taking another 10,000 + each from the Cons and Labour.Having said that it might be possible given enough ■■■■■■ off leave voters and assuming the whole election isn’t just a rigged process to fit the BRINO script.Watch the turnout figure and the Con vote there at least in that case.

Which just leaves the question of Lab voters trusting Corbyn and Starmer to deliver the Brexit we voted for.( Certainly not May’s BRINO deal ) which looks like a foregone conclusion,predictably supported by Labour after its ‘opposition’ charade ends,as it stands ).Realistically if UKIP can’t win Broxtowe among others forget Brexit.With Brexit probably being a pointless exercise in trying to stop the symptoms of European Federalism.Rather than curing the sickness of it which will mean literally smashing the EU with the help of other European nationalist groups and we won’t do that lumbered with the problem of a BRINO deal which selectively isolates us from European Nationalism while keeping us tied to EU Federalism.Maybe that was the plan all along.Including controlled opposition Farage’s obvious deal to create Cameron’s dodgy ‘referendum’ providing the necessary cover for the change in our relationship with Europe in that regard.

Starmer will stab Corbyn in the back - the moment Brexit happens. HE is the one who’ll nobble it at any cost to the country - let alone his party.

Corbyn is being lukewarm, and still sits with his leg dangling over the fence he’s supposed to have already got off by this point.

Labour have no plan whatsoever to complete Brexit, should May drop the ball on March 29th. That is why they want a general election FIRST, so they can win it, and then drop Brexit, being safe for another five years, during which time Starmer and the EU courts can outlaw Brexit, Brexiteers, and Brexit campaigning outright.

There’s not one - but TWO flies left in the ointment though:

(1) I suspect Theresa May is and has been a closet Brexiteer all along.
(2) Corbyn got a boost in the 2017 election - only because the Brexiteers realized that they could use him to give May a bloody nose - whilst Corbyn still woundn’t win - even with around 2-3m votes from the UKIP voters of 2015… Perhaps the Brexiteer electorate - are playing the most cunning long game of all there? I’ve even spoken to a number of UKIP voters from 2015 (of which I am one as well btw…) who have voiced the argument summerized as:

“Since Corbyn is expected to lose 50-100 seats in the forthcoming 2017 election - if we lend our vote to Corbyn, he gets to stay as leader of the opposition, thus making Labour easy to beat in the first POST Brexit election. Thereas May with a majority in this 2017 election - would endanger Brexit by encouraging her to rest on her laurels, plus the fact that the rest of the UKIP exodus - should keep May with the largest number of seats. The biggest thing we want to see is the Libdems - Party of Brexit - NOT making any kind of meaningful comeback in this election.”

Whilst that sounds a bit elaborate - what happened seems to fit the facts, caught the bookies out, and suggests that the 2017 election was the first “Social Media” election, in a similar mannner to the 2016 one for Trump in America.

Hard-core Politics - is in full swing around the world.
Meanwhile, Showman Trump - has made “Public Scrutiny” the greatest show on Earth! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Yernow what Winseer, i’m beginning to see why May has played it like she has now.

Had she openly declared that the EUReich were impossible to deal with…they are, then a committment to leaving without a deal would have been the only alternative.
However that would have given a clear signal to the traitors within the commons to join forces to defeat the govt anf force a complete betrayal.

So i’m beginning to see this to-ing and fro-ing across the Channel, Chequers, the impossible deal she came up with, all of it has been one long winded muddying of the waters, but it’s kept the traitors on tenderhooks where they weren’t quite sure would we accept the non-deal, wouldn’t we, could she get enough concessions to keep us in the free market or wouldn’t she, and because it’s been so confusing the traitors haven’t been able to force a direct defeat through.

Meanwhile March 29th is approaching, and if she can just bluster for another few weeks, pretending to beg for crumbs from those who think they rule from their ivory EU tower, when they ain’t as ■■■■■■ as a parrot, then the day will arrive with still no bugger having the foggiest idea what’s happening and lo and behold the law kicks in and we leave without any deal…just as we voted for.

There’s a reason for all of this of course, and it’s nothing to do with May being a closet Brexiteer, i’ve come to the conclusion that Tory Central put May in as PM and encouraged her to have the most hopeless bunch of liberal lefties backstabbers and traitors around her precisely top keep this total farce running.

It’s been done like this solely to save the Tory party’s arse, because if they fail to deliver Brexit, the Tory party ceases to exist at the next General Election, and that my friend is the only reason we have Brexit…boy Cameron was stupid enough to allow us a referendum because he thought we could be frightened into voting as told to, and that set this chain of events in motion, personally i reckon he was told to sod off by Tory Central for losing the vote and he buggered off with his posh tail between his legs, and they found the perfect droid in May who could follow the script yet make it look convincingly like she was really doing her best, when what has happened had to be done this way to stop the traitors from destroying the Tory party completely.

I reckon quite a few of the genuine Brexiteers are in on this wheeze too, hence her vote of confidence, making all the right noises to keep the traitors confused, unable to halt the inevitable.

Juddian:
Yernow what Winseer, i’m beginning to see why May has played it like she has now.

Had she openly declared that the EUReich were impossible to deal with…they are, then a committment to leaving without a deal would have been the only alternative.
However that would have given a clear signal to the traitors within the commons to join forces to defeat the govt anf force a complete betrayal.

So i’m beginning to see this to-ing and fro-ing across the Channel, Chequers, the impossible deal she came up with, all of it has been one long winded muddying of the waters, but it’s kept the traitors on tenderhooks where they weren’t quite sure would we accept the non-deal, wouldn’t we, could she get enough concessions to keep us in the free market or wouldn’t she, and because it’s been so confusing the traitors haven’t been able to force a direct defeat through.

Meanwhile March 29th is approaching, and if she can just bluster for another few weeks, pretending to beg for crumbs from those who think they rule from their ivory EU tower, when they ain’t as ■■■■■■ as a parrot, then the day will arrive with still no bugger having the foggiest idea what’s happening and lo and behold the law kicks in and we leave without any deal…just as we voted for.

There’s a reason for all of this of course, and it’s nothing to do with May being a closet Brexiteer, i’ve come to the conclusion that Tory Central put May in as PM and encouraged her to have the most hopeless bunch of liberal lefties backstabbers and traitors around her precisely top keep this total farce running.

It’s been done like this solely to save the Tory party’s arse, because if they fail to deliver Brexit, the Tory party ceases to exist at the next General Election, and that my friend is the only reason we have Brexit…boy Cameron was stupid enough to allow us a referendum because he thought we could be frightened into voting as told to, and that set this chain of events in motion, personally i reckon he was told to sod off by Tory Central for losing the vote and he buggered off with his posh tail between his legs, and they found the perfect droid in May who could follow the script yet make it look convincingly like she was really doing her best, when what has happened had to be done this way to stop the traitors from destroying the Tory party completely.

I reckon quite a few of the genuine Brexiteers are in on this wheeze too, hence her vote of confidence, making all the right noises to keep the traitors confused, unable to halt the inevitable.

It’s just as and much more likely that the plan is the total opposite in keeping the Leave side confused and on the back foot until the Cons and Labour suddenly reach an all too predictable convenient ‘agreement’ at the last minute and lumber us with BRINO.Thereby removing the UKIP MEP nuisance in the EU parliament while keeping us tied to the EU’s strings.Which is what they all intended from the start.

Bearing in mind that it doesn’t matter to the majority remainers among the Cons if they wreck the Tory party doing it because EU Federalism is obviously far more important to them than the fortunes of the Conservative Party as we know it and who’s mission obviously becomes obsolete anyway in a new order which is all about European ‘Unionism’ not UK.If that wasn’t the case Powell would have taken over the job of Con leader instead of Thatcher and Shore and Benn would have won out over Healey and Callaghan and the rest would have been history of us being top dog in a Europe of sovereign nations by now.Not Germany leading the charge to a Federal European 4 th reich superstate formed in its own image as of 1871.With the UK’s subservience to that having long been established as of 1973 by Heath and then Thatcher followed by Major.On that note if those three’s treachery against this country didn’t smash the Cons why do you think that May’s would in making a dodgy deal with an obvious Starmer led agenda on the Labour side just as Thatcher cooperated with people like Callaghan in 1975.All that sealed by the head of state and her forces obviously being onside with that handover of the country leaving the 17 million patriots powerless.