My C+E training diary

Evil8Beezle:

simcor:

Evil8Beezle:
Plenty more will be lurking mate, they’re just shy…

Good that it’s going well and you’re feeling confident, just don’t get over confident and take your eye off the ball!
Best of luck! :smiley:

Yep I know what you mean pal, believe me I will most likely be a fair bit nervous on test day so I doubt I will be over confident, I hate tests always have done as the nerves really set in lol

I little bit of nerves can be good, just as long as it’s accompanied with plenty of belief…

A little bit of nerves yes, I tend to be a bit more than a little though. I have the belief I can do it, Nick has drummed that into me from day one. I reckon for him to say after my first day out I should be able to pass a test there and then he genuinely mean’t it, not that I am the best driver in the world but I am easily good enough to be able to pass the test, at the end of the day that’s what training is teaching you how to pass a test.

youtube.com/watch?v=ph7oZnBH05s
I will be keeping the faith.
Lol

simcor:

F-reds:

simcor:
Well it seems there is only 3 of us interested in my training diary.

I thought i would have had more comments on it even if just to say it’s a load of crap lol

While only a few people have commented, it has been viewed nearly 350 times, so don’t feel too bad about it.

Keep up the good work, and good luck on Monday.

I don’t feel bad about it pal, just would be nice to get some feedback from others if it us useful/helpful or not.

Note to self stop putting Lol on everything for god’s sake man!!!

330 of them views are probably me :grimacing:

I am 1 of the views :slight_smile: its an interesting read. Thanks and good luck!

Well day 4 is here, seems like it is over far too quickly plus I have the whole weekend to think about everything. It’s another horrible early start, did I say yet I hate mornings :imp:

In fact I had the kindest drivers in the world all week, even nick couldn’t believe my luck, the sheer amount of vehicles that stopped and flashed me through even when it was their right of way has been amazing. He says normally a vehicle with L plates attracts the worst drivers 99% of the time. Although I did have one silly cow when I was overtaking cars, I was already out and overtaking when she decided it was a good idea to drive straight at me causing me to have to slow right down and almost stop. She obviously could not see a 44ton Orange truck with L plates on it lol should have gone to specsavers me thinks.

I even had another truck driver hang back whilst I was waiting to turn right at a set of lights, rather than squeeze down the side of me or use the pavement to get round me.

Thank you to all those lovely lovely people.

Simcor I have been reading your thread from the start as I have my training with PSTT in a few weeks.
I’m looking forward to hearing you have passed then I hopefully will be able to replicate the result.
I really don’t know how you can remember that much to turn it into an articulate diary- when I did my class C my head was all over the place (I think partly because they were not good trainers)
Good luck mate I’m rooting for you.

Sure you will fly it mate you looked comfortable up there! I got to be honest if you have a tidy examiner that will put you at ease with nerves. The one I had yesterday was really approachable and quite chatty willing to speak about anything like your in the cab with your instructor.

good training diary, good luck on Monday

I did my C+E test last week at the same place, in the same truck. I couldn’t fault anything while i was there. The only advice i could give you regarding your test is don’t over think anything & and try and enjoy the drive. I have enjoyed reading your diary and plan on reading the rest of it. good luck with your test i’m sure you’ll pass no problem!!!

Nice diary, am down there on Monday aswell so will keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck.

Day 4.

Time for today’s write up. Where do I start?

Plonker Rodney you, rearrange into a suitable sentence!!!

Ok it’s an early start again not my strongest point I will admit, I am just not a morning person OK!!!

Onto the grid and the engines are fired up, raring to go waiting for a green light (Test centre not the BTCC grid :grimacing: ), get the thumbs up from Nick to start the reverse, fine and dandy no bother 1 minor mark as I touched the yellow line, even though I can do it without doing so. Never mind no one is perfect. Lines myself up in the right place, engine off and door shut (important bit that every time you get out of the truck engine off door shut) walk to the back, back end is across the line, perfect that’s a pass says Nick.

Could you please drop the trailer and parallel park next to it? says Nick. Drop trailer and do everything right and park next to trailer excellent!

OK could you please pick up the trailer like it is one you have never seen before? Says Nick.

Off I go and reverse up to the trailer as central as I can with an equal amount of trailer in view in both mirrors, with a safe distance between the unit and trailer, engine off and door shut again.

OK here we go, walks to the trailer and do the trailer checks, bang on the side rails a couple of times to make sure they are secure, bang the spray suppression arches and check the tyres and wheel nuts and check the height of the 5th Wheel all good so far! Round the other side to do the same. Get back in truck and reverse to engage the Kingpin into the 5th wheel, clunk, double tug forward to make sure. Get out of cab engine off door shut. Put the clip in for the 5th wheel release, raise the legs, connect the airlines and suzies and parking brake off!

Feeling smug thinking that was pretty decent to be greeted with “I am sorry to tell you that you have failed!” By this time you could have picked my jaw up off the floor literally, I was gobsmacked I am sure I did it all right, didn’t I?

What I forgot to do was check the park brake before I did my checks and before I reversed under the trailer, how could I make such a daft mistake? Every other time near enough I did a trailer drop I have checked it not once but twice, once before I start the trailer check and once after coming back round the other side. This time I did not and that would have been a fail. Some very wise words from Nick “Don’t beat yourself up about it, I would rather you make that stupid mistake now rather than Monday on your test, just don’t do it again” Sage counsel indeed and noted a simple lapse of concentration and that can be it.

So back out onto the road again for the last day again lots of the same pretty much, round test routes, down Sookholme lane (max 30 mph along here even though it is a 50mph speed limit, watch for cars behind you as they do overtake you in a desperate attempt to get past a slow moving truck. Come to the really tight bend, speed right down coming up to it, maybe 10mph as you reach the bend, hook the cab left onto the gravel drive on the corner to get a good look round the corner and give me the room I need to get round it, all good off we go. What a fun lane that is not!!

Revisit to the corner of doom at the traffic lights where I got the front wheel up the kerb, round it no problem although I did just graze the kerb with the rear tyres, not mounting the kerb but that is OK.

A couple of poor decisions along the way today, a little hesitation at one set of lights or too much speed approaching the light laters and had to stop a little quicker than is ideal.

We have a generally good day and have a stop off for a cob and cuppa half way round so the day slowly gets better, again Nick says to me just slow it down a bit at times, ease off a bit if the lights have been green for a long time as they will likely change, just be careful. Everything else again pretty much spot on according to Nick, absolutely no reason why I should not be able to pass on Monday.

So back to the centre and park the unit and trailer onto the hard standing next to the Red MAN, pulls it round and forward and backs it into place no bother, bit of right and left hand down as required and there she is, parked up. Next time I see her and drive her will be Monday test day, or as I prefer to call it D day lol

So yeah not the best of days, but time to reflect on what could have been had it been test day, what not to do and go through it all in my head as much as I can this weekend, apart form watching the BTCC on Sunday. I am going to do my damnedest to get it all so stuck into my brain I will be reciting everything word for word in my sleep Sunday night.

So now it is down to me, only I can make sure it is a pass equally I can ensure it is a fail if I do not concentrate and make sure I don’t rush things.

Nick has done all he can with me, there is little else he could do other than take the test for me lol

So tune in Monday for another exciting instalment of “MY C+E training diary” when I get round to updating it.

Thanks to all the viewers, thanks to all the well wishers, thanks to Nick and PSTT, Thanks to the decent driver all week letting me through and lastly thanks to the Big Jaffa, I am going to actually miss it once I have done in it on Monday.

One last note until Monday, If the worst should happen on test then I am not going to beat myself up for it and just re-book a test with an hour beforehand. People pass people fail that is life, it does not really matter if you pass with clean sheet or 14 minors they are both still passes, we would all like a clean sheet anyone saying otherwise would be a liar but what matters is putting it all into practise and getting that pass.

Nick’s last parting words to me, “In the nicest possible way I hope I don’t see you again after Monday, you can do it you are more than capable”

The line of the week “you are more than capable”

I promise no more additions until after test day to this thread, well unless I really think of something else to add that is :grimacing:

On the traffic lights, I was told to treat the green light as your enemy. So many times on Tuesday I was coming into them too fast and bang it changes caught me out a few times.

Just wishing you all the best for monday Simcor.

I had an hours drive booked before my c+e retest with Nick. Wasnt my best drive to be fair,made a few silly mistakes,just test day nerves though i think.

Nick gave me some sound advice just before my test and i passed with 2 minors,so not too bad at all.

Ill be looking forward to seeing your result on Monday but looks to me like youve nothing to worry about.

simcor:
make sure I don’t rush things.

Probably the most important words of your post!!! - It’s not a race, and you won’t get extra marks for being quick!!!

Safe, steady and controlled is what it’s all about…
It sounds like you have everything nailed and know you should pass, I told you not to take your eye off the ball! :wink:

Best of luck Monday pal! :smiley:

Thanks guys I appreciate the votes of confidence, hopefully I will hold it all together and get it all right on the day.

simcor:
Thanks guys I appreciate the votes of confidence, hopefully I will hold it all together and get it all right on the day.

And not post any more Billy Joel links! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts…well informative.

It sounds like you have covered everything and all seems fine, on the test be calm and not get flustered as it certainly got me on my coupling…I have a repeat in a few weeks time!!

Good luck on Monday and I am sure you will do absolutely fine.

Evil8Beezle:

simcor:

And not post any more Billy Joel links! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I will post some more just for you EB lol

Have a great weekend and all the best for Monday.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: