MODEL TRUCKS

newmercman:
You’re a brave man Andrew, after Ashley’s LB76 build, I think I would only be disappointed with anything I could do. Although, I’m pretty confident I could get the paint to dry lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha-I won’t be making mine with the door open like Ashley did with his J&H transport Lb76-it’s bloody brilliant ! I’m not that brave!

Have a look at the You Tube links for the build…

Jeff…

youtube.com/watch?v=LRazg4wfdfs
youtube.com/watch?v=j5oBHfGEVLs
youtube.com/watch?v=GamSjzbhPas

DSCF6026.jpg

Jelliot:
Jeff…
youtube.com/watch?v=LRazg4wfdfs
youtube.com/watch?v=j5oBHfGEVLs
youtube.com/watch?v=GamSjzbhPas

Superb Jeff-love it

Thanks Andrew… First time with a diorama, good fun but a bit messy…fairly happy with it…do better the next time…

Jeff…

The YouTube vids are a great idea to show the progress pics

Cracking model Jeff, looks great.

Thanks Tony, good fun to build…

Jeff…

Anyone know how many amber reflectors were on a 60’s 70’s flat trailer chassis please …pallets are 45 cm long

Amber side reflectors were not fitted to trailers in the 60’s/70’s, only front clear lights, centre split lights clear facing forward red facing rear and rear lights, Stop, Tail and Indicator even the rear marker boards didn’t get fitted until Nov 1st 1971, is your question for a model or refurbed full scale trailer?

Frankydobo:
Amber side reflectors were not fitted to trailers in the 60’s/70’s, only front clear lights, centre split lights clear facing forward red facing rear and rear lights, Stop, Tail and Indicator even the rear marker boards didn’t get fitted until Nov 1st 1971, is your question for a model or refurbed full scale trailer?

It is for a model trailer, I remember in the early seventies looking at amber reflectors on the chassis whilst winding trailer legs up. I think there was one near the legs, one just ahead of the axles and one near the back, I worked for a big company with an up to date fleet, maybe they retro fitted the reflectors, they were the oblong ones with white surround and screwed to the chassis.
You can see one on this trailer in the photo, it’s an early seventies Carriwell built in Horwich Lancs
I also remember our 1970’s Crane Fru 40ft box trailers had reflectors near the middle marker lamps

Landowner, I can’t find any info on when side reflectors were first fitted by regulation to trailers, it could well have came in the same time as the rear marker boards Nov 71 or when the 73 regs came into use but I’m sure it was two. Just checked the Annual Testers Manual and it states Trailers first used before 1 Oct 1985 require two side amber reflectors, one in the centre and one at the rear no more than a metre from the trailer rear. Trailers first used after the date above then have to have reflectors fitted at measured distances. Although two reflectors were the min requirement sometimes (usually because of doubt about legal requirement) company workshops fitted one or two more but certainly trailers didn’t need them all during the 60’s. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Landowner, I can’t find any info on when side reflectors were first fitted by regulation to trailers, it could well have came in the same time as the rear marker boards Nov 71 or when the 73 regs came into use but I’m sure it was two. Just checked the Annual Testers Manual and it states Trailers first used before 1 Oct 1985 require two side amber reflectors, one in the centre and one at the rear no more than a metre from the trailer rear. Trailers first used after the date above then have to have reflectors fitted at measured distances. Although two reflectors were the min requirement sometimes (usually because of doubt about legal requirement) company workshops fitted one or two more but certainly trailers didn’t need them all during the 60’s. Franky.

Thank you for taking the time to find that information.
The trailer began as a 60’s model but I rather fancied the look of long vehicle plates on it. Could be an old trailer with plates fitted later but you know what people are like at transport shows they are prone to finding fault. I’m showing it weekend of the 1st June so trying to get all the bits and bobs finished off. I’ll go for two reflectors each side and see how we go.

Not sure if I sent this photo to you before Landowner ?

I had this batch of Merriworth 40’ platform trailers built in 1973 - you can see two side pendant type reflectors on this. I had them fitted on the chassis side from that date onwards.

Hope this might help with positioning.

Well done on your efforts for authenticity and, yes, the “ know all’s “ can be very picky and critical.

Hope you do well at show after all your work

Scan Merriworth 1.jpeg

Thank you, forgot about those plastic reflectors, if I can find my reflective tape I’ll make some for next weekend, not looking like it though, tomorrow busy and have to be there Thursday to get a god spot with caravan. Interested to see peoples reactions, loading trailer with 4 chunky Land Rover wheels (for sale) and some small pallets plus two wrapped up sheets and some reel chocks.

Nearly ready for the show, don’t think I’ll bother sheeting it

That trailer looks great!
I can’t quite get my head round the size( the towing board on the back has thrown me!!)
It must be about 1/5th scale!!
I thought it was a full size trailer in the first pics you posted-very nice

andrew.s:
That trailer looks great!
I can’t quite get my head round the size( the towing board on the back has thrown me!!)
It must be about 1/5th scale!!
I thought it was a full size trailer in the first pics you posted-very nice

Thanks, it’s just a little bigger than one third scale governed by the wheels and hubs available, the light board is cut down so as the number plate just fits between the lights, looked silly with too much hanging over the sides, the trailer lights all work but triangles and number plate too small so thought best be legal and use light board. Rides lovely on mobility scooter coilovers

Well the trailer performed beautifully, towed at sixty miles an hour straight as a die, lights and indicators all worked a treat and she looked great.
Small problem when the rose joints I used to centralise the axles broke under the strain, they were way too small so I’m replacing them with track rod ends in the middle of the axle, that will still allow up and down and twisting which the axle needs to do as well as holding the axles in line

My first attempt at 1/24 scale, some of the panels on the cab were a bit out of shape and chassis was twisted but with a bit of heat managed to straighten them , it’s been a labour of love.

The scania looks great-not the easiest of kits to build either
Nice job