MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

TROOPER 8011:
Atkinson (GUV381N) - Fairground motor:

South West Wales River Board - (MTH666):
(Already put on the South Wales thread. Hope you don’t mind the duplication).

GUV 381N was new to Pickford’s as a 75T tractor, and was one of the last Atkinsons they bought. I believe it still exists.

MTH has lost that livery now, and carries the colours of John Mould of Reading

Got to keep this fine thread going now Atky’s are flavour of the month ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Not with me, pal! :wink:

Going through some old photos and found these, taken at a show in 1992, the last two are of a Borderer that was ‘mine’ at Prestons of Potto in the late 70’s, I took the photos when I went back to work for them part-time in 2011, I was a bit surprised to see it still existed.

DSCF0372.JPG

DSCF0312.JPG

KED 505P is still taxed,according to the DVLA site :slight_smile:

carryfast-yeti:

A bit over blinged for my liking though!

David

Can’t understand why some drivers/owners try to turn a British motor into something that has come out of the USA, 5th Wheel is right its too over the top. Has this bonneted model a BT3266 tractor been discussed on the site, I can’t recall seeing another pic on here, this photo comes from the Peter Davies book British Lorries of the Sixties and he states it has single outer wheels on the rear axle as well as on the trailer and as we can see run by Pickfords. Anyone know anymore about this model? Franky.

Frankydobo:
Can’t understand why some drivers/owners try to turn a British motor into something that has come out of the USA, 5th Wheel is right its too over the top. Has this bonneted model a BT3266 tractor been discussed on the site, I can’t recall seeing another pic on here, this photo comes from the Peter Davies book British Lorries of the Sixties and he states it has single outer wheels on the rear axle as well as on the trailer and as we can see run by Pickfords. Anyone know anymore about this model? Franky.

I know there’s one similar restored in Pickfords colours on the vintage rally scene

It’s the very same wagon.

mizzo:
Going through some old photos and found these, taken at a show in 1992, the last two are of a Borderer that was ‘mine’ at Prestons of Potto in the late 70’s, I took the photos when I went back to work for them part-time in 2011, I was a bit surprised to see it still existed.

I remember that day very well - and the sunburn!

Frankydobo:

This is an SBT model - ‘semi bonneted tractor’, built for Pickford’s as a Highwayman alternative

As Marky says, it still exists, although not in its original form:

Atkinson 6x4 ALR176B & Trailer Frank Hilton IMG_9241_ by frank hilton, on Flickr

4x2 sister vehicle:

Pickfords Atkinson ALR177B. by alan farrow, on Flickr
ALR177B - 1964 Atkinson Semi Bonneted Tractor (SBT) - Ballast Tractor - Pickfords by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

jgroom_897gyx_welland_27july2014_4c by Jim Groom, on Flickr

carryfast-yeti:

It’s been through lots of hands since then:

KED 505P by Tommy, on Flickr

Customised Borderer by Martyn Hearson, on Flickr

PJH 33D by Peter, on Flickr

Atkinson Borderer Lift Axle Inglenorth Contractors KED505P Frank Hilton. IMG_3491_ by frank hilton, on Flickr

Atkinson Mk.2… Australian-style!

Aussie Atkinson by Stuart Birkin, on Flickr

Parker Transport Ltd of Bolton operated this Atkinson Borderer which came to grief after losing it’s load
of steel sections in Platt Bridge near Wigan.

Another Atkinson roll-over this time at the long gone Island Cafe at Lowton on the A580 East Lancs Road.
Bet he was popular wiping out the fuel island with his load of timber.

Atkinson Mk II Reg No RET 106H was operated by Northern LP Gas.
It is pictured here traveling towards Birmingham along Harborne High Street in 1979,
Photograph courtesy of Geoff Dowling.

Took this at Kirby Stephen at Easter.

Now then i am going to test you all with this one.

Many years ago i went with my dad to look at a Atki 180 tractor unit. It was in a Village in North Nottinghamshire. When we got there it turned out they bought old atki’s and rebuilt them. New cabs fabricated and Chassis all done the lot. But the Guy would only supply with a Percy 180. Nothing else.

Can anyone shed any light on this company ?. I am sure the guy was called Russ or Russell. Big old place it was as well from memory it was like an old petrol station with a large yard and large workshop with a glass frontage onto the forecourt. This would have been around 1971-1973 as i would have been around 8-10 year old at the time.

Sorry if i put this on before but wish i could drive it now.