MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

Did anyone go to the slide show at carnforth truck haven on Saturday night ? I know Tom Riding was there,when’s the next one ?

Kenny wrote: MK1 Atkinsons did not exsist untill 1968, when they built the new bigger cab witch people ( not Atkinsons ) start to dub the MK11.
when they first built the fibreglass cab they did not know there would be a MK11. If you look at the invoice on page 38 Atkinsons just give the cab type as deluxe not MK1.

Unfortunately this nomenclature to describe the two different cabs is now part of Atkinson heritage whether they had any part in it or not, all articles, books etc quote Mk I or Mk II when referring to the fibreglass cabs. I think the problem people have is knowing which was which, in reality they should be termed Mk I to Mk III as there are three distinct differences from 1958 until the end of production hence the three Ridings pics. Ridings themselves didn’t refer to the later named range as the Borderer and the fleet was termed either Mk I or Mk II’s. Cheers Franky.

here’s a b+w of my Mk2 (ex atkins findern) , loading a prototype mobile home , jump leads to the winch , control cable over the front corner to stop the wires coming out. that job was always a challenge with ONU, no power steering and never enough lock to get that 45 foot trailer round.

This is a DEC '72 shot of the third new Borderer into the fleet seen here at the paper Mill at Beetham having just arrived back from Tilbury with it’s first load of pulp.

I’ve seen a seddon Atki and a mk2 borderer today by m1 j39 on a farm by Denby Dale .

Frankydobo:
Kenny wrote: MK1 Atkinsons did not exsist untill 1968, when they built the new bigger cab witch people ( not Atkinsons ) start to dub the MK11.
when they first built the fibreglass cab they did not know there would be a MK11. If you look at the invoice on page 38 Atkinsons just give the cab type as deluxe not MK1.

Unfortunately this nomenclature to describe the two different cabs is now part of Atkinson heritage whether they had any part in it or not, all articles, books etc quote Mk I or Mk II when referring to the fibreglass cabs. I think the problem people have is knowing which was which, in reality they should be termed Mk I to Mk III as there are three distinct differences from 1958 until the end of production hence the three Ridings pics. Ridings themselves didn’t refer to the later named range as the Borderer and the fleet was termed either Mk I or Mk II’s. Cheers Franky.

I’ve just seen an Atkinson advert for the 8-wheeler with single headlight f/glass cab referred to as the “Weightlifter”. Spotted on Facebook/British Transport Nostalgia.

Yes ROF they brought out a range in the early 60’s with reduced unladen weights and lower powered engines to try and attract users of low weight goods but it wasn’t too successful so the Weightmaster range didn’t last long only between 63 to 64. Cheers Franky.

Probably akin the to the Guy “Light” model- good for weight but not much else!

R%2520Durham%2520&%2520Sons%25202-thumb-448x332-124050[1].jpg

Retired Old ■■■■:
Probably akin the to the Guy “Light” model- good for weight but not much else!

Your right there ROF, the Guy Invincible Light 8 was probably the lightest 8 wheeler on the market at the time. It’s spec was an AEC 7:7 engine, Turner 5 speed box, Eaton 2 speed drive axle and a Primrose trailing axle. The conversion work was carried out by Primrose Engineering and marketed by their sister co. TGB Motors of Clitheroe. There was a “one vehicle” haulier in Kendal owned by a chap called Jim Tolfrey who traded as Furness Road Services, I knew his driver Ernie Edwards and he told me he could get a 17 ton payload on their Light8 at 24 ton GVW, their traffic was out of Barrow Steel. They packed up in late 1966 and the motor was just parked up in Natland village nr, Kendal where Ernie lived and it stood there for a few years before being scrapped. Frank may have more info on this motor/driver. Cheers Dennis.

Foden built a similar eight wheeler lightweight truck (the K Series) originally with the S20 coachbuilt cab but later the fibreglass S21 which was lighter still, three axle lightweight brakes, only a four speed gearbox and two stroke engine but again it wasn’t popular. Probably OK for light but bulky loads though but then why would you need a lighter kerb weight? I suppose when one manufacturer starts the ball rolling with something ‘different’ their competitors jump on the band wagon hoping to also get a share of the same market…and all sink or swim exactly the same! :laughing:

Pete.

Thanks, Pete & Dennis. &.& in an 8-wheeler, eh? And I thought I had it hard with a 150 Gardner!

a beast .

First time on this forum…Yep totally agree, Old Atkis had "character " still love them, even though its 40 years or so since I drove one …last one was 220 Rolls Eagle with Fuller 10 speed …

Good evening chaps. It has been some time since I was last on this page but here is a photo update on my Australian cabbed Atki project. Took it for a run around the yard and all is looking good. Still lots of jobs to be done yet tho.

32995617215_8b81023c25_o.jpg

Atkinson (GUV381N) - Fairground motor:

South West Wales River Board - (MTH666):
(Already put on the South Wales thread. Hope you don’t mind the duplication).