MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

Thanks Dennis will give him a go… :wink: :slight_smile:

Various Atkinsons climbing Llandudno’s Great Orme

Bewick:
Why don’t you ESF’s stay of this sensible thread and go and spout your ■■■■■■■■ some Mickey Mouse thread where you belong ! Do us all a favour ! just for the record,you wally,by the time fast eddie got started in the late 70’s they had stopped building Atki’s and there is no way that ESL could have or did have anymore Atkis than an odd one or possibly two !! and secondly in the 70’s ( definitely ) and the 80’s ESL in no way “did most of the haulage in and out of ■■■■■■■■■■■ your going to come on the “Grown ups” site make sure you have your facts correct.Bewick.

Ironically he/she may be right Stobarts owned about 140 Atki’s then again the main Atki dealers were ESL!

Would I be correcting in saying that JW Graham of Bass Lake or Stampers Penrith would have the second largest fleet?

Bewick:
Look here you Berk, fast eddie was driving a JCB helping to put the finishing touches to the new M6 in 1972 at the tender age of 17 and they only moved into Carlisle at the end of the 70’s and I can tell you for a fact that during the '79 drivers strike they struggled to run the few motors they had and an old friend of mine A.D. Boyes (Alex snr.) helped the young fast eddie to keep running.Also at this time Robsons of Carlisle ( not ROBINS you stupid [zb]!) were still by far the largest hauliers in ■■■■■■■ and the main haulier out of MB Carlisle.It was only when Robsons were bought out by United Glass ( direct competitors of MB in packaging) in the early 80’s that the fast one started to weevil into MB and Robsons concentrated on Glass transport and I think their main centre of operation became Flitwick in Bedfordshire,incidentally I knew Robsons Distribution Services MD,Herbert Nettleship who was a UG man origionally. So it is quite definitely you that is talking ■■■■■■■■,not me !! Bewick.

Off topic Dennis, I was once told that during the '79 drivers strike Stobart were the only ■■■■■■■■ Haulier not on strike, is this correct and what was A.D. Boyes involvement?

You mention a 17 year old Edward driving a JCB on the M6, I believe that he was subcontracting for Fred Brown.

I also remember Herbert Nettleship.

georgeking:

Bewick:
Why don’t you ESF’s stay of this sensible thread and go and spout your ■■■■■■■■ some Mickey Mouse thread where you belong ! Do us all a favour ! just for the record,you wally,by the time fast eddie got started in the late 70’s they had stopped building Atki’s and there is no way that ESL could have or did have anymore Atkis than an odd one or possibly two !! and secondly in the 70’s ( definitely ) and the 80’s ESL in no way “did most of the haulage in and out of ■■■■■■■■■■■ your going to come on the “Grown ups” site make sure you have your facts correct.Bewick.

Ironically he/she may be right Stobarts owned about 140 Atki’s then again the main Atki dealers were ESL!

Would I be correcting in saying that JW Graham of Bass Lake or Stampers Penrith would have the second largest fleet?

Hiya “george”,I don’t know where your getting your info from but ESL never had 140 Atki’s,the last Atkinson was built in 1975 ! and as far as I recall Scotts of Penrith were always the Atki distributor in ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ they were when I was buying Atkinsons,I’d never heard of “fast eddie” at that time,so I must have been inhabiting a parallel universe I suppose !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

georgeking:

Bewick:

Hiya “george”,I don’t know where your getting your info from but ESL never had 140 Atki’s,the last Atkinson was built in 1975 ! and as far as I recall Scotts of Penrith were always the Atki distributor in ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ they were when I was buying Atkinsons,I’d never heard of “fast eddie” at that time,so I must have been inhabiting a parallel universe I suppose !! Cheers Dennis.

First Atki bought by ESL was a 401 around 1980, they then bought a few more of these along with some 301’s and then a huge amount of Stratos. In a truck magazine article around 1991 it said that the Atk dealers were ESL!

This is a Atki

This is a Sedatki, I dont think ESL ever had an Atki, & Scotts of Penrith were the Atki Dealers & thats a fact, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
This is a Sedatki, I dont think ESL ever had an Atki, & Scotts of Penrith were the Atki Dealers & thats a fact, Regards Larry0

Scoots were taken over by Blackwood Hodge a quoted company, Blackwood Hodge were eventually taken over by BM Group Plc and subsequently asset stripped, so there were a couple interim Atki dealers until ESL got the franchise.

georgeking:

Lawrence Dunbar:
This is a Sedatki, I dont think ESL ever had an Atki, & Scotts of Penrith were the Atki Dealers & thats a fact, Regards Larry0

Scoots were taken over by Blackwood Hodge a quoted company, Blackwood Hodge were eventually taken over by BM Group Plc and subsequently asset stripped, so there were a couple interim Atki dealers until ESL got the franchise.

Whatever “fast eddie” was involved in with regard to Sed/Atks was long after we’d kicked them ( Sed/Atks ) into touch but they (esl) definitely never ran any Atkinsons other than maybe his Dad in the early 70’s. I recall still dealing with Scotts of Penrith (unfortunately) around 1980 'ish. We did buy two brand new Sed/Atk’s in '84 but they weren’t from the “fast one” and IIRC we bought any spares ect. for our ERF’s and Sed/Atks from Eden Commercial Services of Carlisle,so if “the fast one” ever was a Sed/Atk dealer his marketing wasn’t up to much as what I’ve heard on the thread is news to me!! Doh ! Bewick.

Getting back on track to the Atkinson thread here are one or two from Bob Hobbs collection of photos on
transportphotos.com/road/photos
CX00690 Atki Borderer- Nuttalls.jpg
CX00949-19 Atkinson mk1-Dawsonfrieght.jpg
CX00952-09 Atkinson Mk2 Jones Transport.jpg
CX00966-03 Atki Mk2-Calor.jpg
CXc00953-07 Edwards Transport-Nuttalls Atki Borderer.jpg
CXc00981-10 Atkinson Borderer-Renwicks.jpg

Three more here. transportphotos.com/road/photos
RK00520-1Atki wagon & drag in Holt Lane Transport livery.jpg
RK00520-2 Atki belonging to Bexton & Smith.jpg
VS00477 Atki Belonging to United Biscuits-Mcvites livery.jpg

Stanfield:
Three more here. transportphotos.com/road/photos210

both 8 wheelers are ex holt lane and still survive. to mention holt lane on this atki discussion is a must as it was one of the best and most interesting fleets of the time.

This one is in their livery still
transportphotos.com/road/photos
RK00533-2 Holt Lane Transport Atki 8 wheeler.jpg

Bewick:

georgeking:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Whatever “fast eddie” was involved in with regard to Sed/Atks was long after we’d kicked them ( Sed/Atks ) into touch but they (esl) definitely never ran any Atkinsons other than maybe his Dad in the early 70’s. I recall still dealing with Scotts of Penrith (unfortunately) around 1980 'ish. We did buy two brand new Sed/Atk’s in '84 but they weren’t from the “fast one” and IIRC we bought any spares ect. for our ERF’s and Sed/Atks from Eden Commercial Services of Carlisle,so if “the fast one” ever was a Sed/Atk dealer his marketing wasn’t up to much as what I’ve heard on the thread is news to me!! Doh ! Bewick.

Right here goes

Around about 1984 Lawsons packed in being the Iveco dealers for ■■■■■■■ and South West Scotland, Blackwood Hodge the current Seddon Atkinson dealers subsequently got the Iveco franchise, after a while they gave up the Seddon Atkinson franchise. So Bendall’s of Carlisle took it on trading as Petteril Bridge Motors by around 1990-92 ESL took on the franchise. There were two truck magazine articles about Stobart one in 1990 and the other in 1992, these articles stated that they owned the dealership.

Right here goes

Around about 1984 Lawsons packed in being the Iveco dealers for ■■■■■■■ and South West Scotland, Blackwood Hodge the current Seddon Atkinson dealers subsequently got the Iveco franchise, after a while they gave up the Seddon Atkinson franchise. So Bendall’s of Carlisle took it on trading as Petteril Bridge Motors by around 1990-92 ESL took on the franchise. There were two truck magazine articles about Stobart one in 1990 and the other in 1992, these articles stated that they owned the dealership.
[/quote]
George you are getting confused as Atkinson and Seddon merged/taken over in the early 70s so it would have been a Seddon Atkinson dealer in the 90s not a Atkinson which produced the mark 1 & 11 Atkinsons as it was a completely different inferior product produced after the merger around 75/6
cheers Johnnie

I was just about to say that ESL and Seddon-Atkinson agencies (whoever owned them) have absolutely nothing to do with the original subject.

Yet another thread dragged off at a tangent…

marky:
I was just about to say that ESL and Seddon-Atkinson agencies (whoever owned them) have absolutely nothing to do with the original subject.

Yet another thread dragged off at a tangent…

Life sure must be a “beach” for you “marky” !! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

A recent purchase by a mate of mine:

Gardner 180 powered and with a David Brown 6 speed

Bewick:
We’ve got the ERF thread but how about one for Atkis which IMHO were superior to anything that came out of Sandbach! Ooh! I can just hear the Foden enthusiasts fireing up the Two Strokes!!! But sorry lads the Foden couldn’t hold a candle to the ERF never mind the Atkinson! Let hostilities comence!! Cheers Dennis.

Out of all the different makes of trucks you ran name the most reliable ? , the most economical ? , and the worst ? etc , etc .