Mitsubishi motors investigated for illegal cheat devices

Blimey another dieselgate. :open_mouth:

“The authorities are looking at Mitsubishi’s 1.6-liter and 2.2-liter 4-cylinder Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesel engines and are asking drivers who acquired cars with the engines since 2014 to contact police.”

“Police and prosecutors on Tuesday raided 10 sites across Germany. Premises have been searched in Frankfurt, Hanover and Regensburg in Germany as part of the probe, the Frankfurt prosecutor’s office said.”
europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … at-devices

lancpudn:

“The authorities are looking at Mitsubishi’s 1.6-liter and 2.2-liter 4-cylinder Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesel engines and are asking drivers who acquired cars with the engines since 2014 to contact police.”

“Police and prosecutors on Tuesday raided 10 sites across Germany. Premises have been searched in Frankfurt, Hanover and Regensburg in Germany as part of the probe, the Frankfurt prosecutor’s office said.”

Just German vehicles it seems?
Or just German ones…So far…?

The krauts invent the dirty diesel engine.Then the Americans catch them trying to pretend that they are cleaner than they are.Then the Krauts hit their Jap allies in return just to show no hard feelings. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubish … t_cover-up

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubish … my_scandal

So the only thing that the Brit motor manufacturing industry was guilty of was playing by the rules. :unamused:

Franglais:

lancpudn:

They don’t meet Euro type approval so that means all of em sold in Euroland.So much for the Jap free trade plan and the German Jap axis.Hirohito’s successor will be on the hotline to Merkel right now to bury the case. :laughing:

Let me get…

This right. If you’re a huge multi-national company with literaly billions of dollars in the bank, you can rip your customers off with almost complete impunity. The fines handed out to VW didn’t hurt them at all. VW are actively fighting the class action law suits against them, despite VW being guilty as hell.

If I knick a tube of Smarties from the local sweetshop, I’d be in more trouble than a large car maker.

As usual, the whole things stinks of corruption, cronyism and downright dishonesty.

I swear to…

God, everything outside my front door is crooked.

On a different tack,
doesn’t matter if (As CF says,* our diesels are clean) they will be taxed to extinction in the US, with high import tariffs, because we might tax IT companies for profits they make in the UK…
I’ll bite my tongue there.
Without looking though, what diesels are designed/made in the UK now?
Is that 3.0 litre V6 (Lion?) still made here?
Wasn’t that a PSA design?
On other news, Jag/L-R slimming production down. Voluntary reduncies and possible lay-offs.
Happy New Year, all.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

lancpudn:

They don’t meet Euro type approval so that means all of em sold in Euroland.So much for the Jap free trade plan and the German Jap axis.Hirohito’s successor will be on the hotline to Merkel right now to bury the case. [emoji38]

I read it that a German company is involved. So although you are correct in saying that it appears those vehicles don’t conform to EU regs, does that apply to all Mitsubishis? Or only those who passed through the hands of this German company?
It doesn’t seem that clear to me, but I’ll listen to any inputs.

Franglais:
On a different tack,
doesn’t matter if (As CF says,* our diesels are clean) they will be taxed to extinction in the US, with high import tariffs, because we might tax IT companies for profits they make in the UK…
On other news, Jag/L-R slimming production down. Voluntary reduncies and possible lay-offs.
Happy New Year, all.

Why would we want to apply any sort of tariffs to US trade unless ‘someone’ wanted to create ‘trouble’ with a partner with which we have trade surplus.IE ‘Why’ would anyone want to sabotage UK/US trade.You also seem a bit selective in your moaning about the IT sector when previously you’ve said hitting US automotive imports is a good thing.

As for diesel car exports the US market generally rightly hates diesel cars and very rarely buys them.Probably because they’ve got more sense in knowing that even the fuel figures don’t add up below around 20,000 miles per year let alone after piling on the costs of buying and maintaining all the smog junk.While stupid Brit buyers just look at the mpg figures and nothing else.

I wasn’t referring to ‘diesels’ per se I was referring to all the other documented dodgy goings on with the Japs like covering up brake defects for example.No such cover ups when the press were crucifying BL,over non issues,to make the foreign imports,which the bankers here had bet on,look good.

As for Jag slimming down in a hostile anti car use LibDem in all but name regime which is dedicated to removing the type of products,which Jaguar’s core market bought,off the roads.Who would have thought it.In addition to Jaguar’s sales department deciding that Jaguar buyers all want an ugly,auto transmission,diesel engined,heap.While also pricing its petrol options out of reach or removing them altogether.Now going one better by deciding that we all want an EV with a Jag badge on it rather than hydrogen fuelled ICE.That’ll work.Would rather take the bus and save the money.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
They don’t meet Euro type approval so that means all of em sold in Euroland.So much for the Jap free trade plan and the German Jap axis.Hirohito’s successor will be on the hotline to Merkel right now to bury the case. [emoji38]

I read it that a German company is involved. So although you are correct in saying that it appears those vehicles don’t conform to EU regs, does that apply to all Mitsubishis? Or only those who passed through the hands of this German company?
It doesn’t seem that clear to me, but I’ll listen to any inputs.

It seems obvious that they didn’t just build a small batch of non compliant dodgy motors only destined for Germany.It’s just that ze Germans are just as good at enforcing control freakery as their Californian counterparts.But somehow hit the Japs in a friendly fire incident. :laughing:

Who cares diesels are the devils work and have no place in a car.

yourhavingalarf:
Let me get…

This right. If you’re a huge multi-national company with literaly billions of dollars in the bank, you can rip your customers off with almost complete impunity. The fines handed out to VW didn’t hurt them at all. VW are actively fighting the class action law suits against them, despite VW being guilty as hell.

If I knick a tube of Smarties from the local sweetshop, I’d be in more trouble than a large car maker.

As usual, the whole things stinks of corruption, cronyism and downright dishonesty.

As the old story goes:
Owe your bank a tenner, and they’ll take you to court.
Owe your bank ten million, they’ll take you to dinner.

I wish everyone would stop acting like shocked nuns finding themselves in a brothel about this so called cheating.

Car makers have been sailing as close to the wind as they could for years to try and get all possible advantage over their rivals, and along the way they employed some wide boys who massaged the accepted rules, they took the ■■■■ and got caught and have been sacrificed to the wolves, if they hadn’t got caught they had rosy futures as feted high flyers so long as the lolly kept rolling in.

It’s only a media fuss because there’s some big money to be made here, the vast profits these companies made as people bought each new cloned heap is now ripe for apparently lawful plunder, and the army of climate change/emergency/catastrophe/disaster politicos apparatchiks celeb hypocrits and various lackeys who live in a different world to the rest of us smell a huge power grab in the air to put massive taxes on a now demonised Diesel, which 5 minutes ago was the saviour of the atmosphere, and are using this to attack the very notion of personal transport.

Or rather they want personal transport to be as it once was, for the elite, ie them, and us proles can do our best to mince around the latest stabbing victim dying on the pavements of our capital city and towns up and down the breadth of the country, hoping we arn’t next.

Carryfast:

Franglais:
On a different tack,
Happy New Year, all.

Why would we want to apply any sort of tariffs to US trade unless ‘someone’ wanted to create ‘trouble’ with a partner with which we have trade surplus.IE ‘Why’ would anyone want to sabotage UK/US trade.You also seem a bit selective in your moaning about the IT sector when previously you’ve said hitting US automotive imports is a good thing.
li

theguardian.com/business/20 … id-insists

Juddian:
I wish everyone would stop acting like shocked nuns finding themselves in a brothel about this so called cheating.

Car makers have been sailing as close to the wind as they could for years to try and get all possible advantage over their rivals

Agreed, along with corrupt financial services sector that crashed the Worlds economy and got bailed out by the people who suffered most while they got more bonuses and only had the very minimum of regulations placed upon them.
Corrupt sporting organisations, taking bribes to get events hosted in certain countries, rigged betting,
corrupt, expenses fiddling, bribe taking politicians
corrupt and immoral film and TV stars, Epstein committed suicide “apparently” :open_mouth: and nobody knew about Harvey Weinstein’s extra curricular activities “honestly” :unamused:

The whole establishment is up to their necks in greed and corruption, every so often one of their own is sacrificed to cover up a greater scandal and then it back to business as usual, meanwhile the rest of us have to abide by ever more stringent rules and regulations and have to work ever harder just to pay the ever increasing bills that lines these leaches pockets.

Franglais:
theguardian.com/business/20 … id-insists

You do know that Javid is a documented remainer in a cabinet stuffed full of remainers.He wants to wreck any UK/US trade agreement as part of that.Who would have thought it.