EU fines

Apologies if it’s already been mentioned on here but I’ve just spotted something on Yahoo about the EU slapping 3bn euros worth of fines on 5 of europes biggest truck makers for colluding on emissions practicalities. It mentions Daimler (merc) DAF, MAN Iveco & Volvo/Renault, MAN got off without a fine as they tipped off the EU about it.
Wish I knew how to post the link but my techy abilities are very limited.

A link like these:

ft.com/cms/s/2/eba2818c-23f8 … z4ErkkYre1
(From May 2016)

bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832521
(Current with fine decided)

(You only need to copy and paste the web URL mate)

commercialmotor.com/news/fiv … uck-cartel

Carryfast:
It would probably be cheaper and easier for all those countries to leave the EU and join EFTA with us. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

It’s not the Countries being fined, it’s the Manufactures.

Carryfast:
It would probably be cheaper and easier for all those countries to leave the EU and join EFTA with us. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Off subject like many of your recent comments on threads, you have the in or out thread use that to continue to make your point rather than spamming others.

The list of institutions who feel they are above the law seems to grow daily.
MP’s expenses,
VW,
FIFA,
Bankers fixing rates.
Drug testing cover up’s
Now European Truck Manufactures.
the list seems to go on

It’s no wonder the general public believe all those in any sort of position of power treat us with total contempt, while filling their boot at our expense.

muckles:
It’s no wonder the general public believe all those in any sort of position of power treat us with total contempt, while filling their boot at our expense.

The manufacturers co operate to pass on the costs of EU imposed emissions regs.The EU fines them for co operating.In which case operators/customers have either now got the costs of the fines to be passed on and the costs of meeting the emissions regs or the manufacturers take the hit on either or both.Leading to job losses possibly involving Brit workers in addition to others.How is that a good thing.

Message to Rikki this is in no way meant as a Brexit topic connection.

I wonder who Scania haven’t chosen to settle? :confused:

Carryfast:
The manufacturers co operate to pass on the costs of EU imposed emissions regs.The EU fines them for co operating.In which case operators/customers have either now got the costs of the fines to be passed on and the costs of meeting the emissions regs or the manufacturers take the hit on either or both.Leading to job losses possibly involving Brit workers in addition to others.How is that a good thing.

I believe the idea is that they each independently innovate to the long term benefit of everyone…

Carryfast:

muckles:

Message to Rikki this is in no way meant as a Brexit topic connection.

Well I suppose you could call collusion co-operation.

Evil8Beezle:

Carryfast:

I believe the idea is that they each independently innovate to the long term benefit of everyone…

The fines aren’t about independent innovation.They are about co operation between the manufacturers in passing on the respective costs to the customer.Which the EU obviously doesn’t like because that has wider political implications than just hitting the industry with those costs by them not passing them on.

Again with the disclaimer that has nothing specifically to do with Brexit only the topic.

But EU government as part of the topic.Yes.

muckles:
The list of institutions who feel they are above the law seems to grow daily.
MP’s expenses,
VW,
FIFA,
Bankers fixing rates.
Drug testing cover up’s
Now European Truck Manufactures.
the list seems to go on

And if they can lie about things like this, it makes you wonder what else they’re lying about!!
Aliens are here people, THERE ALREADY HERE!!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Carryfast:

Evil8Beezle:

Carryfast:

The fines aren’t about independent innovation.They are about co operation between the manufacturers in passing on the respective costs to the customer.Which the EU obviously doesn’t like because that has wider political implications than just hitting the industry with those costs by them not passing them on.

Again with the disclaimer that has nothing specifically to do with Brexit only the topic.

But EU government as part of the topic.Yes.

I don’t think there is a problem with companies co-operating on innovation, provided they compete with each other when they sell the vehicle. Many manufactures share components or even models, think Renault, Vauxhall and Nissan vans or the companies that shared cab designs many years ago.

The problem is the Major European truck Manufactures got together to agree the Factory Gate prices, which is anti competitive.

I don’t think co-operation is an issue either, it just mean that everyone skins the cat the same way…

muckles:
The problem is the Major European truck Manufactures got together to agree the Factory Gate prices, which is anti competitive.

Or got together to make sure that all the costs of EU imposed emissions regs were passed on in full to the customer.Not absorbed by any or all of the manufacturers in question.Which helps no one but at worse just leads to job losses because of the effects on the balance sheet,of trying to absorb artificially imposed costs,to remain ‘competitive’.

Carryfast:

muckles:

Or got together to make sure that all the costs of EU imposed emissions regs were passed on in full to the customer.Not absorbed by any or all of the manufacturers in question.Which helps no one but at worse just leads to job losses because of the effects on the balance sheet.

So what do you suggest, no emission regs?

muckles:
So what do you suggest, no emission regs?

At least regs which allow manufacturers to make sure that the costs are borne by the customer and end user not the manufacturer.

Evil8Beezle:
I wonder why Scania haven’t chosen to settle? :confused:

They’re owned by VW I believe, so maybe they’re just broke after the US settlement for the emissions nonsense. VW also owns MAN so that’s a lucky break for them too…

Evil8Beezle:
A link like these:

ft.com/cms/s/2/eba2818c-23f8 … z4ErkkYre1
(From May 2016)

bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832521
(Current with fine decided)

(You only need to copy and paste the web URL mate)

Thanks, but my knowledge is that limited I don’t even know exactly what a URL is (although I have heard the term), let alone how to copy one!