Middlesbrough hauliers

I think it probably was. I always knew Chrome was yellow but when you see the liquor it shows how yellow it was, like Colman’s mustard [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawrence Dunbar:

Wheel Nut:
I had a regular job loading from Urlay ■■■■ and got to know a lot of Freighthire drivers, not many pictures but a lovely job, it was two ton a minute to load and they had an alarm clock on the loading spout. 11 minutes, 22 tonne on an F7.

Hi “Wheel Nut”, I used to deliver bagged stuff from the I C I Winnington Works Norwich into a firm called Associated Crome Chemicals at Urlay ■■■■ in the 60s, Could this be the same firm I wonder :question: :question: Regards Larry.

I used to tip styrene at a firm called Britsh Visqueen on Yarm Road Stockton.Urlay ■■■■ was just just up the road.

mizzo:

backsplice:

jshepguiscksplice:

backsplice:
Anyone got any Crossleys pics ■■?

Hi backsplice

I take it you mean the Crossleys that were the builders merchants? I don’t have any photo’s of Crossleys own lorries but a picture came up on Paul Gee’s thread awhile back of a Crossley liveried SA400 which i think is actually a Teesside Carriers lorry under contract.

Thanks for that jshepguis… I was hoping for something a bit earlier but thats a good one …I believe they were incorporated with teeside carriers somewhere along the line ■■? anyway thanks again

Here’s an old Crossleys photo, it’s not mine and to honest I can’t remember where I found it! They did become Teesside Carriers when Crossleys packed up as a builders merchant (I think)

Thanks Mizzo I ,m just looking for a mate of mine who is a Boro Lad

Chris Webb:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Wheel Nut:
I had a regular job loading from Urlay ■■■■ and got to know a lot of Freighthire drivers, not many pictures but a lovely job, it was two ton a minute to load and they had an alarm clock on the loading spout. 11 minutes, 22 tonne on an F7.

Hi “Wheel Nut”, I used to deliver bagged stuff from the I C I Winnington Works Norwich into a firm called Associated Crome Chemicals at Urlay ■■■■ in the 60s, Could this be the same firm I wonder :question: :question: Regards Larry.

I used to tip styrene at a firm called Britsh Visqueen on Yarm Road Stockton.Urlay ■■■■ was just just up the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris. Visqueen was my very first job after passing my class 1.
Picked a powder tanker up from Immingham and tipped it on a Saturday morning, it was supposed to reload out of Wilton but nobody told me

I think British Visqueen used to be ICI Nylons.
Their factory used to be 100 yards from the depot of F.and F.Robinson whose trunkers I used to see when I was a teen living in Newark.The only company I can remember operating half cab Fodens.I also recall an 8 wheel foden with a single axle trailer tagged onto a coupling on its tail end.In those days before the Newark by pass there was a cafe on Castlegate and another 24 hr.cafe at Long Benington owned by my mate’s dad.
I knew Gil Carlisle when I was an o/o out of Teesside.My son used to work for him as a trainee fitter.
Happy days!

F &F Were IIRC The main haulier doing Visqueens stuff, I used to get a few loads from them when I was in the Teeside area, Heysham was one of the drops at a fertilizer plant, The into Preston & load Eggs fro a firm at Chester le Street, Named Gouldie Fuchard :laughing: , , Regards Larry.

Gidders:
I think British Visqueen used to be ICI Nylons.
Their factory used to be 100 yards from the depot of F.and F.Robinson whose trunkers I used to see when I was a teen living in Newark.The only company I can remember operating half cab Fodens.I also recall an 8 wheel foden with a single axle trailer tagged onto a coupling on its tail end.In those days before the Newark by pass there was a cafe on Castlegate and another 24 hr.cafe at Long Benington owned by my mate’s dad.
I knew Gil Carlisle when I was an o/o out of Teesside.My son used to work for him as a trainee fitter.
Happy days!

Gidders.You are right about Visqueen being part of ICI empire,I was told that when I was tipping there.
That Foden 8-legger with single axle trailer sounds like a “Twin load”,one or two companies ran them including Langley Forge,theirs was a regular sight in Sheffield.
I well remember the trunkers changing over in Newark early 60s,Turners was one as I used to get lifts with them when in RAF.

backsplice:
“jshepguiscksplice” “backsplice” Anyone got any Crossleys pics ■■?

Hi backsplice

I take it you mean the Crossleys that were the builders merchants? I don’t have any photo’s of Crossleys own lorries but a picture came up on Paul Gee’s thread awhile back of a Crossley liveried SA400 which i think is actually a Teesside Carriers lorry under contract.

Thanks for that jshepguis… I was hoping for something a bit earlier but thats a good one …I believe they were incorporated with teeside carriers somewhere along the line ■■? anyway thanks again

Crossleys. :wink:

A04013p.JPG

A04014p.JPG

With the what used to be the vast petrochemical plants around Teesside there was plenty of hauliers that had base’s in Middlesbrough,here are a few from the NA3T Website once again so NMP.

Bertschi from Switzerland.

JLC00307-21.jpg

Isotank

JLC00226-04.jpg

Cleveland Tankers. IIRC ran out of John Formans yard so i think were part of the TDG group, stand to be corrected though!

JLC00354-19.jpg

Dennis Dixon

JLC00544-20.jpg

jshepguis:
With the what used to be the vast petrochemical plants around Teesside there was plenty of hauliers that had base’s in Middlesbrough,here are a few from the NA3T Website once again so NMP.

Bertschi from Switzerland.

Isotank

Cleveland Tankers. IIRC ran out of John Formans yard so i think were part of the TDG group, stand to be corrected though!

Dennis Dixon

Nice photos of companies I remember well when on tanker work. John Foreman was absorbed into the P and O Group so maybe Cleveland Tankers were the same? I believe Cleveland was a company set up by ex I C I transport managers.

Hi Chris yes you’re right it was P&O not TDG that absorbed John Foremans. From what i can recall Dennis Dixon was also ex ICI employee who set up,speaking of ICI here is one of their AEC’s which would have probably run out of Wilton or Billingham.

From the NA3T website.

CX00966-08.jpg

IMG_1218.PNG.jpg
Calor operated out of Port Clarence, South Bank and also Seal Sands 24/7, at peak over 80 drivers, 20 maintenance staff.

jshepguis:
Hi Chris yes you’re right it was P&O not TDG that absorbed John Foremans. From what i can recall Dennis Dixon was also ex ICI employee who set up,speaking of ICI here is one of their AEC’s which would have probably run out of Wilton or Billingham.

From the NA3T website.

Do you remember the ICI Sed Atki 400s with “ZF Transmatic” on front?
This photo may bring back some memories,it was known as Seal Sands Storage then but is Vopak now.

vopak.jpg

iirc;John Forman were on Skippers Lane and were absorbed into the P.and O Group.
Cleveland Tankers were on the Trunk Road and were part of the TDG Group.They used to be called Rankin Tankers and had another depot in Felling.An old boss of Rankins was Alec Fox whose son operated as David Fox out of Grangetown.
Dennis Dixon used to work for ICI at Wilton before branching out on his own.My aunt Sybil used to manage transport movements at Wilton.
At one time I worked for both Forman and Cleveland Tankers.I also tried Prestons but I only lasted 3 weeks what with every load being 3 sheets and a fly sheet out of South Area Stores.And I was young and fit in those days!

All your info is correct Gidders,David Fox is still operating as is Dennis Dixon, I also worked for Prestons of Potto, sometimes twice a day putting 3 sheets and a drip sheet on a load, happy days, young and fit. Mr Webb, Vopak is now I believe Navigator Terminals, when it was Tees Storage and the early years of Vopak it was a great place to load, unlike the hell-hole next door, Simon Storage. However, the last time I went into Vopak, ('2015) all I can say is, I knew it was time to retire!

mizzo:
All your info is correct Gidders,David Fox is still operating as is Dennis Dixon, I also worked for Prestons of Potto, sometimes twice a day putting 3 sheets and a drip sheet on a load, happy days, young and fit. Mr Webb, Vopak is now I believe Navigator Terminals, when it was Tees Storage and the early years of Vopak it was a great place to load, unlike the hell-hole next door, Simon Storage. However, the last time I went into Vopak, ('2015) all I can say is, I knew it was time to retire!

The last time I was in Seal Sands Storage was April 1994,we used to load crude benzene for Llanwern there,loading on a weighbridge to get max weight,and quick loading too. Imperial Tankers had priority however so they could jump the queue,I never found out why. :frowning:
I see Prestons every day when on A19 as I live in Thirsk,not many sheeted loads though.

Notice to Chris Webb! There were no tautliners in the 1970s!

Gidders:
Notice to Chris Webb! There were no tautliners in the 1970s!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
No I know,I meant I don’t see any of Prestons with sheeted loads nowadays.

Chris Webb,
Hi Chris, re: tautliners in the seventies. When I worked for John Raymond back then we had a curtainsider which was used mainly on a job they had with L’Oréal cosmetics at Pontycylun. Can’t remember what make it was but it was definItaly a curtainsider and I used it myself quite often on a run to L’oreal’s place at Ashton Gate in Bristol.
Regards, Allan