Middle East - Not Astran!

F89

robthedog:
F89

Cracking pic Rob.

Heres some more F89’s.

There’s a new gallery of pics (Swiss-Iran) on Toprun this month. A right old feast for F88/9 lovers! Here’s the link:

toprun.ch/truck/2020-06/Marcel_Comte/

Nmp. PLT pulling for Orient. Possibly Syria or eastern Turkey.

sandway:

Looks vaguely reminiscent of Kici, a Turkish village at the top of the pass going south after Belen just before it drops very steeply down to Reyhanli where you pick up the final stretch to the border at Cilvegozu / Bab al Hawa (Syria).

ERF-NGC-European:

sandway:

Looks vaguely reminiscent of Kici, a Turkish village at the top of the pass going south after Belen just before it drops very steeply down to Reyhanli where you pick up the final stretch to the border at Cilvegozu / Bab al Hawa (Syria).

I suspect someone has climbed the hill shown in this photo, taken by me in January 1976, where John Hallibone in the yellow Daf, Andy West in the Micon 110 (probably his camera) and myself stopped for tea before heading on to Silver Gazoo, and taken a photo looking down on that lay-by.

Brother Andy has asked me to post these two photos, as he thinks John looks on here. The first is labelled:
‘John Yorkston Paxton sawing wood to put between broken spring and chassis. Nis, Yugoslavia 03/03/84.’

The second is labelled:
‘Broken spring with block in place. Nis, Yugoslavia 03/03/84.’

I’m guessing from the date and knowing that Andy was in Dammam, heading home, on 20th of Feb that year, that this would be his next outbound journey, so that block of wood would have some work to do over the coming weeks!
Happy Days!

Hi Everybody
Looking for any EX C.M. Burke drivers and what has happened to them.

Bryan Dutthorn (GermanJock).

John West:

ERF-NGC-European:

sandway:

I suspect someone has climbed the hill shown in this photo, taken by me in January 1976, where John Hallibone in the yellow Daf, Andy West in the Micon 110 (probably his camera) and myself stopped for tea before heading on to Silver Gazoo, and taken a photo looking down on that lay-by.

John do you know what the initials on the two trailers stand for?

David

5thwheel:

John West:

ERF-NGC-European:

sandway:

John do you know what the initials on the two trailers stand for?

David

Finally got to see brother Andy. (Socially distanced of course!) We both have the same memory that the trailers were hired from a company in Manchester. I think it’s AFS. My trailer was from the same place I think, mine said SKI on the side. Whether either logo stood for anything, neither of us remember. A model maker from Carlisle who Andy called Uncle Malcolm made a model of Andy’s 110 and was going to do the AFS trailer, but sadly died before he got to it.

John

With the Govt announcement of Kent’s very own Kapikule I’m thinking of setting up an agency for drivers.

First choice of name is ‘Young [zb]’ anyone fancy joining me as a shareholder - you will need cousins & relatives in HMRC/Border Force/HM Kent Old Bill etc…

Happy Days for many - in First Out First -:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Well I have just trauled through all 22 pages and no mention of Redcliffe Roadways, so here’s one of me and Malc Watson parked at the top of the long pull out of Iskenderun befor the steep winding road down towards Kirikhan and then the Syrian border at Cilvegazu. 1977

Steve

Birdie4x4:
Well I have just trauled through all 22 pages and no mention of Redcliffe Roadways, so here’s one of me and Malc Watson parked at the top of the long pull out of Iskenderun befor the steep winding road down towards Kirikhan and then the Syrian border at Cilvegazu. 1977

Steve

Couple of Redcliffe’s.

me redcliffe man.jpg

This Marathon on M/E work made it to Oman, if the board is anything to go by. Considering the number of Marathons that did Middle East they can’t all have been unreliable! Though quite why anyone would drive a day-cabbed one down there beats me.

Rowena

sandway:

That looks like the top of Belen to me, I parked there a few times after the pull up from Iskenderun. Not the best of pics.

Birdie4x4:

sandway:

That looks like the top of Belen to me, I parked there a few times after the pull up from Iskenderun. Not the best of pics.

The village was called Kici and there was an excellent little restaurant / truckstop on the right heading south, that overlooked that view.

rowena

Just been sent these two pics (so NMPs) of an ERF B-series on the Middle-East run that apparently started life as a day-cabbed unit for Guiness but eventually gained a Jennings sleeper conversion with a high roof (like the factory version). I’m told that Guiness only ran ERFs with Rolls or Gardner engines in them so take your pick! Probably either a RR 265 (or 290) or an 8LXB then. The location looks like the the Jordan / Saudi border but I may be wrong.

Rowena

40.pngMalc Watsons F89 loaded on the train from Koln to Munchen I was loaded in front of him.

NMP

Hi Ro,heres RFX with an earlier owner,obviously not my pic.Cheers Bubbs, :wink: