Breif history of Astran please

On a lot of these posts Astran looked to have been one of the main Middle East hauliers of the day but can you tell me do they still exist as a concern ?
The only reason I ask is about 18 months ago I was overtaken by a Scania (I think) on the M62 with the Astran livery and I think Hull written on it and just thought it might have been a nostalgic driver running with ‘famous old colours’. Today I saw a Volvo reg: V666 DEV parked up with the Astran livery and Middle Eastern writing on the front grille. I didnt see the trailer so dont know how that was liveried but it was definately still a working truck.
Can you give me a brief history on this ?
There are too many pages on other posts for me to trawl through to find out for myself. Cheers.

It says ERF not RAF:
On a lot of these posts Astran looked to have been one of the main Middle East hauliers of the day but can you tell me do they still exist as a concern ?
The only reason I ask is about 18 months ago I was overtaken by a Scania (I think) on the M62 with the Astran livery and I think Hull written on it and just thought it might have been a nostalgic driver running with ‘famous old colours’. Today I saw a Volvo reg: V666 DEV parked up with the Astran livery and Middle Eastern writing on the front grille. I didnt see the trailer so dont know how that was liveried but it was definately still a working truck.
Can you give me a brief history on this ?
There are too many pages on other posts for me to trawl through to find out for myself. Cheers.

As far as ime aware didnt Seymour Transport (spelling)take over Astran. Think they originated from Maidstone ?
Saw what looked very much like an O/D in Astrans colours pulling a box on the A419 recentley (Fh )

yes atrans are still going, i do 2-3 loads a month but the trucks are sellers i.e trucks and trailers bought from europe sold down in doha. not many round trippers doing it now its not worth it unless you have back load.

cheers graham :smiley: :smiley:

It says ERF not RAF:
On a lot of these posts Astran looked to have been one of the main Middle East hauliers of the day but can you tell me do they still exist as a concern ? There are too many pages on other posts for me to trawl through to find out for myself. Cheers.

Yes, as Graham says, Astran are still in business. As far as I know there is only one truck which has the Astran name in the headboard and the ‘A’ logo on the side of the cab. The reg is W 666 DEV but I’m not sure who runs it (Graham can you help?).
One of the longest serving drivers (Barrie Barnes who was an owner driver/sub contractor for many years) has just left UK this week on “yet another” trip to Doha with a “seller”. Astran will give him a load which he will tip on the way down and then continue to his destination to sell the truck and trailer, then fly home.

Contrary to popular beleif: Astran was never sold to Seymour Transport! It was sold to the two joint owners of Seymour’s who bought Astran between them.
The connection - and this is where people think it is Seymour’s - (me included) is the 2 companies share the same yard and there are 1 or 2 Seymour trailers running round with the Astran livery on the sides. That is purely “free” advertising for Astran and they are run as seperate companies.

All this info will be elaborated on when the book which I’m writing about Astran is published, hopefully late this year. or early next spring. More updates and info on that in due course. Still got a bit of work to do on it…but we are getting there as they say! :unamused: :smiley:

ive got a feeling it could be gary loyns ill give him a ring later and find out hes been doing a few sellers for me but hes on est at the moment yes barry loaded spain yesterday [friday] one of mine loaded thursday out of the same place for doha

graham :smiley: :smiley:

For more info on Astran, take a look at :- astran-cargo.com/

I deliver just round the corner from Astrans place every Friday 7.00 am, i’ll get some pic if anyone want to see it.

I was coming up from folkstone M20 a few weeks ago and a german truck came past me, the company on the trailer was spelt “AStrans” and they had the cheek to the “r” trade mark after it !!!
regards from Nicholas.

There was a couple of german subbys on for astran about 3 years ago their names were carl and alex but they only done 4 or 5 trips and packed in.but they didnt have astrans on there trailers.

Cheers,
Graham :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I too have heard most of the runs now are done as sellers, has Chris Hooper also switched to selling, or is he still running the ex-Dutch Scanny Topline he was featured in Trucking International with earlier this year?

You will learn alot about Astran from a video called “Destination DOHA”. You should be able to find a copy if not I’ll find my DVD and copy it for you. Brilliant video diary of a complete trip to Doha including a 4 truck hard bar train to pull out a sand bogged Scanny! Great 70’s nostalgia including Londra Camp, Tankshein and a Leland Marathon!

I’ve just checked out eBay. Just search ‘Destination Doha’. Might be worth a look, thanks.

The german lad Alex went skint very fast on Astrans , came and did a couple of drive downs for me to Bazargan,went to Australia fo a bit i think and is now working for ronnie mcnaultys son .

I really can’t wait for your book Ash :slight_smile:

coffers88:
I really can’t wait for your book Ash :slight_smile:

Put your name on the list shall I?
Almost there mate…had meeting with publisher today. I got to hand everything in by end of Aug then book will be published early spring nex yr (Feb/March time).
Looking forward to seeing it all done myself. Will give more updates as time goes on.

yeah hurry up ash!!!

the volvo used to belong to someone i know, i saw i the other week, not seen it in a long time

Have you ever come across a driver called Michael (Mick) Fabian? A hard drinking man from Farningham in Kent who drove for Astrans and others.

Cockney Mark:
Have you ever come across a driver called Michael (Mick) Fabian? A hard drinking man from Farningham in Kent who drove for Astrans and others.

Have you any idea when Mick Fabian worked there? I’ve never heard of him, or heard his name mentioned by anyone connected with Astran. Was he a subbie perhaps?

truckerash:

Cockney Mark:

Have you any idea when Mick Fabian worked there? I’ve never heard of him, or heard his name mentioned by anyone connected with Astran. Was he a subbie perhaps?

Ash, I have heard the name and I think he was short lived on Astran , but if anyone knows of him it has to be Barry Barnes

I have just found my copy of “Destination DOHA”. I haven’t got a DVD writer but if anyone is really keen on getting a copy I’ll try and get it copied. It is a great hours viewing!