Mercedes-benz NG and SK's Trucks

Barcelona

DWP can’t beat an extra bumper and a few lights

Some history with this crowd, From Beresford’s to Salvatori

Fret Francais.jpg

Brand new 1991 J reg 1735, popped home to pick some kit up. That Merc cab was perfectly proportioned for living in alone with the top bunk for storage.

Heavy

I thought I’d start another thread. There doesn’t seem to be much talk of them . Are there any on the show scene ? There sems to be loads of Scania’s Volvo’s and MAN etc.Also any good stories and do you remember the size of the steering wheels ! It supposed to be like that if the power steering packed up you could still drive them . Well thats enough of me going on . Hope too see some good pictures and stories on the forgotten Mercs. Tony

There are a few threads with SK pictures. Diesel Dave loves them as much as the vicar treasures his Morris 1000.

Try looking through the Scrapbook or Ashleys 1980’s thread

We had three at Maltby,underpowered slugs,glad I was shunting full-time and didn’t have to drive one,used to get reports off drivers about them.This is the only photo I’ve got,G764 KYB was called “Ginger” in the Wincanton fashion at that time.
It was called other names as well… :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

There are a few threads with SK pictures. Diesel Dave loves them as much as the vicar treasures his Morris 1000.

Try looking through the Scrapbook or Ashleys 1980’s thread

Ok thanks wheel nut does any one show any old mercs ?

There was a mint LS1418 by the front door at the CV show last month in Mertrux Derby livery, I don’t know if they take it to any other shows. A 1971 J plate, I think, so it would be one of the first with the raised cab roof and the UK only up-rated 192bhp engine, so they could still plate at 32tons, after the 6bhp/ton rule came in that meant new Gardner 180s where only plated at 30ton.

There used to be that blue minter from Lancashire on the show circuit, was it Ray Leigh or was it somebody Ray from Leigh or something?

WISH THEY DID THEY WHERE SMART TRUCKS

You got to a love an 80’s Benz.
Fingers crossed we will have our mint ex MB museum 1628S out and about soon, this is her in the yard waiting for a final clean and some proper pictures to be taken.

The 28s were gutless but a good cab to live in all week, and nice to drive apart from the lack of power, I had years of them and they never let me down, I was never sat on the side of the road unless it was a blowout. I have some photos I will try and dig out.

altitude:
The 28s were gutless but a good cab to live in all week, and nice to drive apart from the lack of power, I had years of them and they never let me down, I was never sat on the side of the road unless it was a blowout. I have some photos I will try and dig out.

100% in agreement there.

Trubrit:

altitude:

100% in agreement there.

hi john,
totally agree with you.the 35’s and 38’s went well.the 1748 for me at that time,was another level.a class almost of its own :laughing: ,for me one thing all v8 sk’s had was bombproof reliability in my experience.
regards andrew.

Posted these before, but anything to build on a decent thread. That sound of the clattery V8 will stay with me for ever! That museum piece is some find. I was looking on the AutoNet website & there’s a Bulgarian registererd 1633 up for about E4000. Shame its a left ■■■■■■ or would make a great resto project…

pete 359:

Trubrit:

altitude:

100% in agreement there.

hi john,
totally agree with you.the 35’s and 38’s went well.the 1748 for me at that time,was another level.a class almost of its own :laughing: ,for me one thing all v8 sk’s had was bombproof reliability in my experience.
regards andrew.

They drove me around the bend at times Andrew on a long day, but years later looking back on them, they never let me down I would say the most relliable truck I have ever driven.
cheers
John

Slater & Son:
Posted these before, but anything to build on a decent thread. That sound of the clattery V8 will stay with me for ever! That museum piece is some find. I was looking on the AutoNet website & there’s a Bulgarian registererd 1633 up for about E4000. Shame its a left ■■■■■■ or would make a great resto project…

Whats the address for autonet, can’t seem to find it.

This one has .