Meal allowance/Night out pay what's the score?

TheYoungTrucker:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t hmrc say they were going to start taxing night out money? Possibly this was last year?

From what I’ve read on RHA it is looking that way…

Won’t be long automated trucks will be here anyways bud so to me this is just another nail towards mass unemployment.

Glad the lib dems got it covered though… [emoji38]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

TheYoungTrucker:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t hmrc say they were going to start taxing night out money? Possibly this was last year?

I’ll correct you - you are indeed mistaken. Night out money is already taxable unless the employer has an agreement notice to pay the standard £26.20 (or some other “bespoke agreement” to pay a different amount). Having such an agreement requires that the employer has in place a system of checking/sampling to ensure that drivers are actually incurring expenses. In the absence of such an agreement, night out money is indeed subject to Tax and NI. If there is such an agreement, night out money can be paid free of tax and NI. There would appear to be no plans to change this.

our lot did mention a while back it may come in that they need receipts but hasn’t materialised yet. Boss did say if they do need a receipt it doesn’t even have to be on the particular day of your night out, nothing to stop you submitting a Sunday 75/100 quid supermarket receipt for your food shop which is obviously for your nights out and not home :laughing:

We used to just get £26.42 tax free for n/o money, no questions asked / receipts provided etc. Then they upped it to £27, except only £26.20 is tax free, and £0.80 is taxable :exclamation: :question: but, we now need to provide some form of receipt, or else the whole £27 is taxable :imp: I normally just buy a coffee, or a Rustlers Burger from Asda, or a sandwich for the following days lunch, since i generally have a fridge & cupboard full of provisions - so i’m spending £1 or whatever on something I don’t really need, to save ~£9 on tax & N.I.

It’s just corporate ■■■■■■■■ tbh. There’s obv some back office tax fiddle going on :unamused:

I used to get £20 a night out uk, £25 for international…never had a meal allowance ( not what the boss knew about anyway ) a headlight bulb, a bung here and there paid for my meals anyway, not forgetting the Plus mesieur there were no parking fees back then, but reading some of the posts, why would drivers pay for parking from their own pocket…then wait till the end of the week to reclaim it…not my cup of tea tbh, anything to be spent on the truck, i want before i leave the yard…cash or via a pre pay…had a firm once refused to pay for oil i needed…so after sitting there for 5 hours, and them pulling their hair out, agreed to leave the money in an envelope with security…i accepted that…but only the once. years ago many companies would give a float, then after checking the receipts topped it up on a friday or monday…happy days.

we get 26.20 which is max u can get tax free will only paid to us so long as we are 30miles from base ur based at.we can park up in other depots and claim nights out.we no have to ring in every evening to get a number and put it on the expsences sheet.as one driver was parking up outside his house which was 6miles away from depot but saying he could not get back.we also get a meal allowance to.only repciets we have to provide is for paid parking.

thunder367:
we get 26.20 which is max u can get tax free will only paid to us so long as we are 30miles from base ur based at.we can park up in other depots and claim nights out.we no have to ring in every evening to get a number and put it on the expsences sheet.as one driver was parking up outside his house which was 6miles away from depot but saying he could not get back.we also get a meal allowance to.only repciets we have to provide is for paid parking.

You work for stobart then chap?

Benjie83:

thunder367:

no not a chance.my old man even asked why not work for them u get a good pension new motor every few years.i replied no thanks dont do rdc work at all.ok my job is not perfect but im not stuck in rdc waiting rooms and dont worry about my curtians being cut as im on flats and if they can left steel beams off then that be a surprise with out waking me

thunder367:

Benjie83:

thunder367:

no not a chance.my old man even asked why not work for them u get a good pension new motor every few years.i replied no thanks dont do rdc work at all.ok my job is not perfect but im not stuck in rdc waiting rooms and dont worry about my curtians being cut as im on flats and if they can left steel beams off then that be a surprise with out waking me

Aaah gotcha, no worries fella.

Lol yeah they got a mixed review, I don’t plan on being with em forever as I’ve a good commute involved before I start, but it seems it will be fairly straight forward work which as a zero experience new driver is, I hope, gonna be best way of getting confidence up for the future…