night out money

was on holiday last week so forgot to let company know how many nights out i had ,long story short i was not paid my nights out,asked where my money was to be told as i did not tell them how many nights out i had, i would have 2 options,wait a month or get some of the money owed to me as they have said that i have now to pay tax on night out monies and they need to work out the tax owed,i thought they had scrapped that idea of taxing night out money.

haggis eater:
was on holiday last week so forgot to let company know how many nights out i had ,long story short i was not paid my nights out,asked where my money was to be told as i did not tell them how many nights out i had, i would have 2 options,wait a month or get some of the money owed to me as they have said that i have now to pay tax on night out monies and they need to work out the tax owed,i thought they had scrapped that idea of taxing night out money.

re update,had 13 nights out ,£26 night out + £2 meal allowance =£364,checked bank account and have been payed £300 so looks like were paying tax on night out money now.

Theyre puling a fast one methinks…night out money is only taxed on over £26.32 or something similar…and should show receipts for what you have spent…log into RHA website they negotiated the deal and should tell you more.

The only reason they can have for taxing that amount is whether you had the night out close to your depot (within 25 miles I think).

I thought it was law that night out money is tax free ?

Pat Hasler:
I thought it was law that night out money is tax free ?

Only if the company can prove that the night out was essential, and outside a certain radius.

HMRC have been all over this recently. I believe the RHA is sending a delegation to Parliament next week to try and thrash something out with regard to this, as well as the lack of suitable parking, but I wouldn’t hold your breath…

this old chestnut. night out money is tax free as long as it is£26.34 or less, and you sign to say you’ve recived said money.

EG

John Smith night out Lincoln date sign £25.00
John Smith night out Newark date sign £25.00

As long as the company can prove who its gone to, and what for, hmrc are happy,

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66130

I don’t do tramping and I get 75% of what you get for sleeping in a box a day for lunch money

I get night out money in cash, upfront.

The £2 meal allowance on top of the £26 night out money takes what you get for subsistence allowance per day above the upper limit HMRC allow to be tax free so the whole lot is taxed. So for an extra £2 it actually loses you roughly £7.80 in tax and NI.

You would be better off by £5 a night if you didn’t get the £2 meal allowance and you’d get £26 instead of £20. Unfortunately trying to explain maths, personal tax and personal finance to fellow truck drivers where you are is likely to fall on deaf ears because most are too stupid to work it out and just see them losing the £2.

Born Idle:

That’s the way it should be

biggriffin:
this old chestnut. night out money is tax free as long as it is£26.34 or less, and you sign to say you’ve recived said money.

Yep we’ve just taken a 14p cut in our night out money to keep us under the threshold.

Born Idle:

That’s the way…

It should be.

My understanding is, if they know you’re going away for the night, they must offer the cash up-front by law.

They don’t because large firms would have to carry thousands in cash on the premises.

yourhavingalarf:

Born Idle:

That’s the way…

It should be.

My understanding is, if they know you’re going away for the night, they must offer the cash up-front by law.

They don’t because large firms would have to carry thousands in cash on the premises.

Do Sports Direct employ drivers? If so Mike Ashley could just dip into his pocket to fund their nights out couldn`t he? More cash than Securicor!

Conor:
The £2 meal allowance on top of the £26 night out money takes what you get for subsistence allowance per day above the upper limit HMRC allow to be tax free so the whole lot is taxed. So for an extra £2 it actually loses you roughly £7.80 in tax and NI.

You would be better off by £5 a night if you didn’t get the £2 meal allowance and you’d get £26 instead of £20. Unfortunately trying to explain maths, personal tax and personal finance to fellow truck drivers where you are is likely to fall on deaf ears because most are too stupid to work it out and just see them losing the £2.

Wrong! How come we get £26.20 a night out a £2 a day meal allowance and we ain’t taxed then■■?