Night out money, new rules

Anybody know about the new rules supposed to be coming in regarding night out money, the 2 versions of the system, 1 - submitting receipts on the day of claim, parking, meals, showers,etc including taking pictures with date of the meal eaten and 2 - the company or individual applying to more or less stay with the same system as we are now but with a £26 limit as I’ve heard.
Why mess about with something that’s not broke, might need a small tweet here and there.
Any ideas or somebody winding me up…

The above statement doesn’t mean anything without evidence from HMRC… so linky please. Or is this just Chinese whisper on what we already know.

We (well, the lot I work for) reduced our night out money to £26.20 last year because of all the hoops we were having to jump through re receipts and the like. They just increased our hourly rate a tad to make up for it.

About 3 years ago I worked for a small manufacturing company delivering there goods to site …only 2 of us there driving.
Every Friday was given 25 cash in hand for every night out we had that week… after a year still got the 25 cash in hand.but they started asking for receipts . For.what we were spending it on .I was giving them recepits from Wetherspoons… Tesco’s when bought food while.out. reciepts for. A coffe. One for a pint of milk etc. They never questioned it…I did ask why they never really said…but I
.guessing was for tax reasons maybe.

the maoster:
We (well, the lot I work for) reduced our night out money to £26.20 last year because of all the hoops we were having to jump through re receipts and the like. They just increased our hourly rate a tad to make up for it.

Yes this ,I can’t be arsed with all the crap over night out money with the drivers ,the wife and hrmc so pd gives both drivers a credit card to use it where ever they want to eat or park or if no meal then get a good breakfast just bring me a vat receipt,if the driver chooses to sleep in a lay-by and eat in the cab then that’s up to them .

biggriffin:
The above statement doesn’t mean anything without evidence from HMRC… so linky please. Or is this just Chinese whisper on what we already know.

There have been no changes to the Employment Income Manual part 66205 and the existing regulations since 6 April 2019 remain in effect. The regulations already stipulate that employers must have a checking system in place to ensure employees are incurring expenses for meals and other subsistence costs while travelling, and that the payment remains a reasonable estimate of the costs usually incurred. HMRC can force the employer to provide evidence of this at any time they choose. The current overnight subsistence allowance is £34.90, however this is reduced by 25% to £26.20 for employees with access to a sleeper equipped cab.

Punchy Dan:

the maoster:

Yes this ,I can’t be arsed with all the crap over night out money with the drivers ,the wife and hrmc so pd gives both drivers a credit card to use it where ever they want to eat or park or if no meal then get a good breakfast just bring me a vat receipt,if the driver chooses to sleep in a lay-by and eat in the cab then that’s up to them .

Do you not pay them any untaxed fixed amount then? If the driver chooses to self-cater and sleep in the cab, he receives nothing from you? Am I understanding that correctly?

Mick Bracewell:

Punchy Dan:

the maoster:

Do you not pay them any untaxed fixed amount then? If the driver chooses to self-cater and sleep in the cab, he receives nothing from you? Am I understanding that correctly?

How I read Dan’s post is he pays the parking and any meals as long as a receipt is provided, if his driver parks in a lay by and self caters he still gets reimbursed for his meals but obviously no parking.

Receipts for n/o was only if you spent over the HMRC allowance for B&B Hotel etc this DOES NOT include any other out of pocket expense`s such as parking.
Many Companies paid n/o money plus a meal money but these days HMRC allowance would not be enough hence receipts are required.

pete smith:

Mick Bracewell:

Punchy Dan:

the maoster:

How I read Dan’s post is he pays the parking and any meals as long as a receipt is provided, if his driver parks in a lay by and self caters he still gets reimbursed for his meals but obviously no parking.

It’s quite simple,the credit card is mine for the driver to use when he wants ,there is no limit on money ,just bring me a vat receipt.no reimbursement as I pay to start with .

I understand the reasons for someone checking the night out allowance, with some of the strokes we have pulled over the years and booked 11 nights out a week. :laughing:

Dan, Does the driver not get any remuneration for doing a night out if you have paid for everything via the credit card?

peirre:
Dan, Does the driver not get any remuneration for doing a night out if you have paid for everything via the credit card?

What is ‘night out money’?

Now read your question again…

peirre:

No remuneration,its up to the driver to make the most of the situation I don’t push them ,if one wants to park at the red lion when he could get to Leicester that’s left with the driver .

I read these poa / break recording situations,I pay all hours from getting here to going home no quibble,I just think it’s easy to keep stuff simple .

shauntel:
Anybody know about the new rules supposed to be coming in regarding night out money, the 2 versions of the system, 1 - submitting receipts on the day of claim, parking, meals, showers,etc including taking pictures with date of the meal eaten and 2 - the company or individual applying to more or less stay with the same system as we are now but with a £26 limit as I’ve heard.
Why mess about with something that’s not broke, might need a small tweet here and there.
Any ideas or somebody winding me up…

There isn’t a new or old system there’s just the system which has been the same as always, its just now HMRC are wanting to cut down on abuse so are actually wanting proof. HMRC are now wanting proof of a night out taking place. For those claiming meal allowances without a night out, which it is actually possible to do in our job due to the hours we work, they’re wanting proof of those meals so it’s receipt time. However it’s mainly your bosses problem so just do what they ask.

They don’t need to be submitted on the day of the claim.

If you want anyone to thank for this then thank all the people who abused it and put night out claims and meal claims through without taking them, not just in lorry driving but people in other sectors too such as sales reps.