Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

Yes nice photo’s thanks.Mike.

Lawrence Dunbar:
This Daf was an ex Spillers Tanker, from their Trafford Park Depot & converted to a tipper by its present owners G.Lowdon Ltd Seaton Burn, it was down by David Lowdon, & I hand painted the tipper body for him, Regards Larry.

Think this one ended up with RANK HOVIS after they bought spillers before they had to sell some mills thats how it ended up at Trafford park.We had R124 VJF from Avonmouth after ADM Milling which bought some spillers mills bought us at Healings of Tewkesbury as part of the Allied mills sale.cheers flourpower.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Frankydobo:
This Foden S21 Spaceship-cabbed lorry was probably an FG,but it still could be one of the other models.

Don’t you mean ‘Sputnik’ instead of Spaceship, the S21 got this nickname before becoming more commonly known as the ‘Mickey Mouse’ cab, due to the release date being around the same time as the Russian Sputnik space rocket launch.

You are quite correct ther F/D, they were refered to as the Sputnick, But then of course Mickey Mouse became the famous name for the S21, which I think was the better choice, Regards Larry.

Actually,gentlemen,you are both wrong:-

THE FODEN STORY,Pat Kennett,published in 1978,page 153. S21 SPACESHIP and S21 SPUTNIK.

FODEN TRUCKS IN CAMERA,E.L.Cornwell,published in 1981,page 50. S21 SPACESHIP and S21 SPUTNIK.

FODEN SPECIAL VEHICLES,Wobbe Reitsma,published in 2012,page 206.S21 SPACESHIP and S21 SPUTNIK.

All of the above three books all document both the SPUTNIK and SPACESHIP names for the Foden S21 Cab,on the respective pages listed above…and the first two books do not even mention the un-stylish and
derogatory “Mickey Mouse” nickname - which is usually used to describe third rate,rubbishy and derogatory things in the first place! Whats more,from what I have gathered on the BIGLORRYBLOG Website,some of the Foden Old Guard,who were steeped in traditional coachbuilding,re metal and wood construction cabs,looked down on the newfangled GRP S21 Spaceship Cab and started calling it a “Mickey Mouse” cab. They thought that it’s GRP construction was cheap and nasty.
The Foden S21 Sputnik and Spaceship names have also been mentioned in various commercial vehicle and lorry magazines over the years,WIKIPEDIA also documents these names - and the Sabrina name for the S39,S36,S34 and S24 Cabs (no relation to the ERF Sabrina) - in the Foden history.
Some lorry enthusiasts use the Sputnik name,others use the Spaceship same,while other enthusiasts use the Spaceship Sputnik names together. Both names are very appropriate for the flamboyant,beautiful and
futuristic Foden S21 Cab -futuristic? It was in 1958,at the start of the present day space age when this cab was introduced,and they are the reasons why discerning and perceptive commercial vehicle journalists christened the Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik Cab with the classy and stylish Spaceship and Sputnik names :smiley:

VALKYRIE.

Lawrence Dunbar:
This Daf was an ex Spillers Tanker, from their Trafford Park Depot & converted to a tipper by its present owners G.Lowdon Ltd Seaton Burn, it was down by David Lowdon, & I hand painted the tipper body for him, Regards Larry.

As it was in Rank Hovis livery

Flour Milling 109.jpg

Another wagon and drag for LB76 to drool over.

Hovis in the 1920s.jpg

Lovely photo Graham, thanks, what year would you put on that ?

A bit more about Hovis and the above photo, which dates from the early 1930s. At that date there were probably about 300 individual flour mills in Great Britain, many of them being family owned businesses. There were four big groups, Ranks, Spillers, Hovis, and CWS (Co-operative Wholesale Society). Allied Mills was created later by Garfield Weston, and McDougalls also started acquring mills in the '30s. Hovis was definitely a quirky group with regards to its transport operations, running several rare makes and models as we shall see in due course. The Armstrong Saurer above definitely falls into the rarity class. By the mid-1950s many smaller mills had closed by virtue of their goodwill having been bought by the bigger groups, and the large output mills were beginning to be the industry standard. Allied Mills was the growing force and within the other groups Hovis and McDougalls merged in about 1957. A few years later (1962ish) Ranks and Hovis McDougall merged to form Rank Hovis McDougall (RHM). All the groups had been created by takeovers and mergers as well as by opening new mills of their own. For example, Spillers grew by mergers with Vernons, Bakers, and Pauls, all of which operated more than one mill. In the late 1960s further mergers and rationalisation took place. CWS supplied mainly its own bakeries and local co-op societies and was losing market share, so J.W. French, who had three mills, took over the remaining CWS mills, and shortly after that Spillers merged with French to form Spillers French milling, which in turn soon reverted to just Spillers, then Spillers itself was later acquired by Dalgety. All the milling companies also had big animal feeds divisions. Hope you don’t mind the history lesson gents, but it might clarify things about the thread as it develops. Just another bit of info., until about 1980 Ranks / RHM operated a separate transport company called British Isles Transport, usually abbreviated to B.I. Transport

Another Hovis rarity. This time a mid-1930s bonneted AEC Matador (the original 4x2 model, not the famous wartime 4x4 Mat.)

Matador and Trailer.jpg

A mid-1930s Foden masquerading as a loaf of bread. Daren was a brand of bread made from proprietary Daren wheatgerm flour similar to the original Hovis flour and bread made from it. (Nowadays the Hovis bread brand covers many varieties of bread). Daren flour was milled at Dartford and the business was acquired by Ranks when Daren went into receivership in about 1930. After RHM was formed the more popular Hovis brand was promoted and Daren faded away.

Flour Milling 043.jpg

A Rank’s 1930s Foden DG, the rear view showing off the robust bodywork fitted to these flour miller’s lorries. Exquisite sign-writing advertising Daren bread and Blue Cross animal feeds, a massive business, complimentary to flour milling, for Ranks.

Daren Bread Advertising.jpg

Not to forget Spillers!

Here’s my contribution for the day, Graham, complete with thumb prints and scratches. Taken by Roger Kenney on Standedge.

I will also look at Arthur’s negs and the files he has on the flour companies.

Robin

A magnificent photo Robin, thank you. Plenty of atmosphere there. This was could have been either based at Ranks (Greenwoods) Mill at Trafford Park, Manchester, or at Ranks Rotherham Mill. When Ranks acquired the Hovis Mill at Trafford Park most of the heavy fleet there was Leyland based.

As CWS eventually came into the Spillers empire their vehicles have to be shown here.

retriever:

Here’s my contribution for the day, Graham, complete with thumb prints and scratches. Taken by Roger Kenney on Standedge.

Robin

A great photo. Looks like a harold Wood AEC MK5 Mammoth Major in the distance. :sunglasses:

I do not know the location of this image, but it took ages in photoshop to get a half decent picture from the negative. The range of films that Roger Kenney used varied massively from Gratispool to Ilford and more. The speed of the films varied also.

Chris Webb:

retriever:

Robin

A great photo. Looks like a harold Wood AEC MK5 Mammoth Major in the distance. :sunglasses:

Yes, I have a neg of that also fortunately.

Something a bit more recent for any younger visitors to this thread.
A Spillers Cambridge Mill-based Leyland Constructor blowing into the silos at Spillers packing plant at West Drayton. This was a load of Homepride flour for packing into 1.5 Kg bags for home baking. Surprisingly for a large output mill Cambridge did not have small bag packing facilities, (at the time of this photo, but a new warehouse with packer was eventually built), so a couple of tankers were double shifted between Cambridge and West Drayton.

And leaving the site.

And something of similar vintage from RHM

Flour Milling 112.jpg

gingerfold:

What a great period photo Graham ,this must have been an early Mammoth Major ,is that the air cleaner on the n/s of the cab?