M.J.M. freight services

edtheshark:
I was the rep…

:laughing: :laughing:

Guess thats were the user name comes from then!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to Trucknet.

Thankyou for that:

This might be of interest (or maybe not!!)

"Two Redditch businessmen whose haulage business failed with nearly £1/2 million pounds of debt have undertaken not to hold directorships for 13 years.

Paul Marriott and Jason Lediard, gave an undertaking in respect of conduct as directors of Britspan Limited.

Britspan went into voluntary liquidation on 11th January 2001 with estimated debts of £474,000.

The Insolvency Service investigated the conduct of both directors. Both did not dispute that they had failed to ensure the company maintained adequate accounts or complied with statutory duties relating to PAYE, NIC and VAT.

The company was insolvent by Feb 2000 , but the directors kept the business trading until 31st May 2000, knowing thar Britspan was unable to pay debts and liquidation was inevitable.

Marriott was also a director of another company, Blessglod Limited, which went into liquidation in February 1999. Both companies had traded under the name MJM Freight Services"…

courtesy: Worcester News.

Paul is currently working in Birmingham for a charity. He did work for Alleleys Limted, the heavy hauliers, for a while, as did some of the workshop staff from MJM. There was always a close tie-in between Allelys and MJM.

montana man:
Anybody remember them ■■?
Based in Redditch , Blue and White tag Scannys & Tilts
Belly tanks , cherry and trip money…Happy days !!!

The MANs were P & R regs. I’m trying to place you - were you a mate of Dippers that we called Flat Top??

They knocked the belly tanks on the head a couple of 3 years earlier when Astro got caught at Hendaye. Good times and a good core of lads.

Roger actually went on to be an owner driver up to his death (In fact Frankie drove for him for a while). Unfortunately though the rumours are wrong. He did not have a apartment in Spain - he died in his truck of a heart attack but wasn’t found for 42 hours. Bad time for his family.

Stick, Adey & Ghenghis still at Allelys, as is Jason who is in the office. Hey tonyb let us know who thought they were a shower. A lot of the guys were with MJM for a very long time - there was a real core of grafters and nice blokes and then there was just the drifters who were nothing but trouble. Still the best craic I’ve had - we should reform and show these youngsters how it should really be done. Anyone got any pics?

edtheshark:
Thankyou for that:

This might be of interest (or maybe not!!)

"Two Redditch businessmen whose haulage business failed with nearly £1/2 million pounds of debt have undertaken not to hold directorships for 13 years.

Paul Marriott and Jason Lediard, gave an undertaking in respect of conduct as directors of Britspan Limited.

Britspan went into voluntary liquidation on 11th January 2001 with estimated debts of £474,000.

The Insolvency Service investigated the conduct of both directors. Both did not dispute that they had failed to ensure the company maintained adequate accounts or complied with statutory duties relating to PAYE, NIC and VAT.

The company was insolvent by Feb 2000 , but the directors kept the business trading until 31st May 2000, knowing thar Britspan was unable to pay debts and liquidation was inevitable.

Marriott was also a director of another company, Blessglod Limited, which went into liquidation in February 1999. Both companies had traded under the name MJM Freight Services"…

courtesy: Worcester News.

Paul is currently working in Birmingham for a charity. He did work for Alleleys Limted, the heavy hauliers, for a while, as did some of the workshop staff from MJM. There was always a close tie-in between Allelys and MJM.

SHARK BY NAME, SHARK BY NATURE MR P!!Full of inaccuracies; Paul is not working for a charity - he works for a company selling safety products last time I spoke to him. I still keep in touch. Should him your thread - load a lies. He made the undertaking not to act as a director as he couldn’t afford the legal battle!

Oh, and btw - all the trucks were in the UK and available for collection by the finance company and not a single one was left over the water!! What a crap memory you have!! Any neither was the comapny paying weekly for the trucks - another error I believe. You need to move on mate!

Steady on Mr. MJM, that was getting pretty close to a personal attack, The Shark was quoting from a newspaper in good faith and, apart from his footnote about the charity work, was not expressing a personal opinion. D.

bullitt:

edtheshark:
I was the rep…

:laughing: :laughing:

Guess thats were the user name comes from then!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to Trucknet.

Hey Bullitt are you the guy who used to work at MJM that they called ‘Bullet’?

No sorry, not me.

Mr MJM
Send a pm to Montanamaman , he was on for Roger Marriot for several years.

gotta be honest, bumped into some of the mjm lads, when i first started going abroad, and pretty much found them too be a good bunch, with some helpful advice on routes etc.
the only fella’s name i can remember, was dave, think he had part of his ear missing, was a nice bloke.
ran with him for a bit, from bordeaux, towards irun, then split, and i carried on with a lad from GODWIN, blue and yellow motors, guy from their was called kevin, another top fella.

Yes,Dave lives in Bordeaux, I first knew him when he was driving a grey and red F88 for Lambert Brothers,and the other 2 I knew really well were Ronnie and Sid.

Hi MrMJM, I spent many an evening with MJM drivers in France (mostly @ Clauds) and various places in Spain. On one trip I had a night at St Genis and was talking to an MJM driver in a new MAN, he was heading to Barcelona to watch the car GP.

I parked up at St Boi truck park Sunday morning and who came over? the same MJM driver who’d decided not to bother with the Catalunia GP. We went to the beach at El Prat de Lobregat for the afternoon, then on to an evenings entertainment at St Boi. (if you know what I mean■■?)

A few of the MJM drivers where more like UK jockeys and kept themselves to themselves which is just fine, but most of them were only too keen to help another driver in distress which is more typical of the continental breed.

So by and large I found them to be a good bunch of blokes & now I’ve got my scanner up & running I’ll post a couple of pics and let’s see if any of the 80’s + 90’s Spannish regulars remember my old trucks.

Ross.

so dave lives in bordeaux eh. wonder if he comes on here, he could start his own little truckstop.

bigr250. be interested too see your pics.
when i started going abroad, which was early too mid nineties, there was a firm, i’m sure they were from liverpool, running too spain alot. think they had slightly older model trucks for the time, but if i remember correctly, alot of them were custom painted, i remember 1 with a dragons theme, think it was a globetrotter.
anything too do with you■■?

kerbut:
Yes,Dave lives in Bordeaux, I first knew him when he was driving a grey and red F88 for Lambert Brothers,and the other 2 I knew really well were Ronnie and Sid.

Dave actually now lives in Torrevieja with his latest ‘woman’ - has done so for a few years. He has his only Iveco Daily which he does a bit with to and from the UK. Ronnie & Sid left quite a few years ago. Last I heard Sid is working for S Walker Transport (red & white Scanias) with walking floor trailers doing the waste paper extra around Uk & Belgioum (In fact I think they recently lost the Belgium contract to Mr Stobbart) Last I heard of Ronnie he was working for Birds but lost his licence for ill health

bigr250:
Hi MrMJM, I spent many an evening with MJM drivers in France (mostly @ Clauds) and various places in Spain. On one trip I had a night at St Genis and was talking to an MJM driver in a new MAN, he was heading to Barcelona to watch the car GP.

I parked up at St Boi truck park Sunday morning and who came over? the same MJM driver who’d decided not to bother with the Catalunia GP. We went to the beach at El Prat de Lobregat for the afternoon, then on to an evenings entertainment at St Boi. (if you know what I mean■■?)

A few of the MJM drivers where more like UK jockeys and kept themselves to themselves which is just fine, but most of them were only too keen to help another driver in distress which is more typical of the continental breed.

So by and large I found them to be a good bunch of blokes & now I’ve got my scanner up & running I’ll post a couple of pics and let’s see if any of the 80’s + 90’s Spannish regulars remember my old trucks.

Ross.

Ahhh - Claudes - the den of eniquity!! In the latter years there were a few ‘UK jockeys’ who weren’t really cut out for the job. The old school lads did it for the lifestyle as much as anything - just one regular party with the odd days work thrown in!! Only joking. I guess its a sign of the changing times. The job’s not what it used to be and there certainly aren’t the same characters about. Time was when every one knew everybody on the job, and an entertaining night could be had recounting a few tales. Nowadays most don’t even want a night out let alone be away for a week or two… O bring back the good old days!!

Look forward to seeing some pics of the boys on tour…

Good morning to you all,

Thankyou for the response to my last post, it was surprising to see the reply from some!!

All I will say is that the company I worked for supported both the original company , Blessgold and the re-incarnation,Britspan. In fact we novated the vehicles from the first company into the second for both our benefit (we would keep getting paid) and for the new company’s benefit, to allow then to trade.

With regard to paying weekly, I WILL confirm that each Friday when they were going into difficulties, I would come to Kings Coughton and collect cash/cheques as payment for rentals, and put them into the bank.

From websearches, here is some information re; Paul

Paul Marriott (37)
Mr. Marriott has worked his entire career in the road transport industry. He
joined Safe Europe Plc in 2001 as Operations Director. Prior to this he started
and operated a general international haulage business, Britspan Ltd, as Managing
Director from 1999 to 2001. From 1993 to 1999 he worked in his family’s
international haulage business, MJM Freight Services, initially in an operations
role and became a Director in 1994. From 1988 to1993 he worked in a UK regional
accountancy practice specializing in the transport sector.

As an aside, does anyone remember Transgo International, pulling fridge trailers into France/Spain, they were based in Ashby de la Zouch I think.?

We had an MGM Group here in Southampton!!

Regards Pat

were those headlights standard ?,they look like the type off an earlier model

Hi Curnock

Sorry I don’t know anything about them just a pic that I had! All I know is that it was a company run by a Mr Malcolm J Millard who still has a tractor unit running.

Back in the 80s he had a load of vehicle that I believe he rented to would be owner drivers.

Later had a problem I believe with VAT .

Regards Pat