Golden Oldies - Still in Service

F10 WOOL 2.jpg
10 & DRAG STRAW.jpgHeres our classic F10 still working hard. Dan

Very nice photos Dan, Keep them rolling, Regards Larry.

I saw this today on the M18.

That’s some hill!

Some hill I agree but the old Foden would cope with that I dare say, With a gear for every hill Eh, Ha Ha, Regards Larry.

davepenn54:
JM Haulage, now thats a name that has shook up the the old memory chip :wink: wwwww
I haven’t seen any of their motors for a while but if they are still around I would agree that they would be working out of the container base in Trafford Park.
As far as I can remember JM Hlg; ran about six tractor units, all Mercs; on for OCL & ACT, spot work and daily contract stuff. All the units were in the standard Merc greeny/tourquoise factory colours of the middle eighties, not sure about them having a 1924 though, at the time I worked out of there on ACT, Furness Withey/OOCL & the occasional spot job for OCL, the only flat fronted Merc they had was a 1418 and was driven by an old hand who was in his 70’s and covered the never ending Freightliner shuttles and all the relatively local stuff, about 40mls; radius. The rest of the fleet were second hand “New Generation” 1625/26/28’s and I remember when gross weights changed and JM got the unit with the small wheeled second axle. I think it came from “Foley’s” after a period of contract hire with a tanker company in Liverpool that shipped vegetable oils, “Pura Foods”, between Liverpool, Manchester & Hull and IIRC they were one of the first to put a tri-axle unit onto the job.
There were quite a few owner drivers running out of there who had been in from the opening of the containerbase and I’m sure this is how JM started out and he just kept his fleet small. BTW JM was usually in there everyday whether he was driving or sorting work out for his motors, he always seemed like a good bloke to work for and seemed to let his lads just

get on with the job and as long as you did what was asked things were OK :wink: :wink: No cheap mobile phones in
them days.
It definetly wasn’t a job with a high turnover of drivers, I was in there for about 3yrs before moving onto the ACL/Cunard/Incotrans contract out of Seaforth/Felixstowe but the occasional time I saw the JM motors the same lads were always behind the wheel. I might be wrong on some of the details but it does seem a long time ago :astonished: :laughing:
BTW If anyone worked out of the container base in the eighties and remembers any of the Co’s; that worked out of there and maybe have some pics it would be great to catch up, also the container base had a brilliant subsidised canteen think I put on 3 stone when I was there. :laughing: :laughing: Soon lost it when I changed contracts. :laughing: :wink:
Just some of the companies I can think of at the moment, Oswald Inghams (orange/red/white), Tommy Brierley’s (red/white & blue/white contract ACT colours) Bensons (think they were red/brown) Stanians (red/blue) still going & Bergens (blue/white) still going, I know there where/are a lot more anyone got any memories?

Hi mate., I remember jm haulage, they were based in woodhouses failsworth a lovely place and as a kid I used to watch them being worked on in the workshop next door to the dog and partridge pub.

My all time fav operator from Trafford park was HELMARK: owned and operated by Bruce bates from littlemoss droylsden near where I’m from. He Ran a ford transconti black with a gold band round it and a merc like the jm one again black with a gold band around it, knock out livery if you ask me!

Sadly I haven’t got any pics of helmarks trucks. I worked in bredbury a few years ago and was amazed to see a jm merc on the m60 most mornings chugging away pulling 40ft boxes! Often see it parked up at the containerbase too until fairly recently.

I do like the old mercs, sound pretty awesome too. The old jm one pictured on here has or had a front bumper mounted exhaust, I took a pic of it from my car one morning, I recognised the bloke driving it, used to see him in woodhouses modifying or mending the old girl, he must be in his seventies easily?

Thanks, harryvr6.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Some hill I agree but the old Foden would cope with that I dare say, With a gear for every hill Eh, Ha Ha, Regards Larry.

Sorry I don’t know why it’s put it on that way up.

My neck’s set in that position, now!

Claims4U.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Claims4U.

Turn you screen on its side. :laughing:
Case dismissed. :wink:

Dave the Renegade:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Claims4U.

Turn you screen on its side. :laughing:
Case dismissed. :wink:

Thank you .

harryvr6:

davepenn54:
JM Haulage, now thats a name that has shook up the the old memory chip :wink: wwwww
I haven’t seen any of their motors for a while but if they are still around I would agree that they would be working out of the container base in Trafford Park.
As far as I can remember JM Hlg; ran about six tractor units, all Mercs; on for OCL & ACT, spot work and daily contract stuff. All the units were in the standard Merc greeny/tourquoise factory colours of the middle eighties, not sure about them having a 1924 though, at the time I worked out of there on ACT, Furness Withey/OOCL & the occasional spot job for OCL, the only flat fronted Merc they had was a 1418 and was driven by an old hand who was in his 70’s and covered the never ending Freightliner shuttles and all the relatively local stuff, about 40mls; radius. The rest of the fleet were second hand “New Generation” 1625/26/28’s and I remember when gross weights changed and JM got the unit with the small wheeled second axle. I think it came from “Foley’s” after a period of contract hire with a tanker company in Liverpool that shipped vegetable oils, “Pura Foods”, between Liverpool, Manchester & Hull and IIRC they were one of the first to put a tri-axle unit onto the job.
There were quite a few owner drivers running out of there who had been in from the opening of the containerbase and I’m sure this is how JM started out and he just kept his fleet small. BTW JM was usually in there everyday whether he was driving or sorting work out for his motors, he always seemed like a good bloke to work for and seemed to let his lads just

get on with the job and as long as you did what was asked things were OK :wink: :wink: No cheap mobile phones in
them days.
It definetly wasn’t a job with a high turnover of drivers, I was in there for about 3yrs before moving onto the ACL/Cunard/Incotrans contract out of Seaforth/Felixstowe but the occasional time I saw the JM motors the same lads were always behind the wheel. I might be wrong on some of the details but it does seem a long time ago :astonished: :laughing:
BTW If anyone worked out of the container base in the eighties and remembers any of the Co’s; that worked out of there and maybe have some pics it would be great to catch up, also the container base had a brilliant subsidised canteen think I put on 3 stone when I was there. :laughing: :laughing: Soon lost it when I changed contracts. :laughing: :wink:
Just some of the companies I can think of at the moment, Oswald Inghams (orange/red/white), Tommy Brierley’s (red/white & blue/white contract ACT colours) Bensons (think they were red/brown) Stanians (red/blue) still going & Bergens (blue/white) still going, I know there where/are a lot more anyone got any memories?

Hi mate., I remember jm haulage, they were based in woodhouses failsworth a lovely place and as a kid I used to watch them being worked on in the workshop next door to the dog and partridge pub.

My all time fav operator from Trafford park was HELMARK: owned and operated by Bruce bates from littlemoss droylsden near where I’m from. He Ran a ford transconti black with a gold band round it and a merc like the jm one again black with a gold band around it, knock out livery if you ask me!

Sadly I haven’t got any pics of helmarks trucks. I worked in bredbury a few years ago and was amazed to see a jm merc on the m60 most mornings chugging away pulling 40ft boxes! Often see it parked up at the containerbase too until fairly recently.

I do like the old mercs, sound pretty awesome too. The old jm one pictured on here has or had a front bumper mounted exhaust, I took a pic of it from my car one morning, I recognised the bloke driving it, used to see him in woodhouses modifying or mending the old girl, he must be in his seventies easily?

Thanks, harryvr6.

hi there me and my dad use to work for j m haulage in woodhouses maintaining the old 1626&1418 from they 80s till 2005 a great time of my life and in the early days they had 1 ford transcon till it was stolen i have some photos i will post.

Spittman: hi there, wow can’t believe you worked for jm! It’s a great little place wood houses, I used to spend a fair amount of time watching the old mercs of jm, one of my all time favourite trucks the NG Mercs. Ive sid this a few times on here but I’m currently building a model of helmarks old NG merc with a container trailer, just too busy with the kids to finish it!

I’d love to see some of your pictures of the jm trucks, are they still operating? I haven’t seen the old guy in the merc for a while now, always great to see it though such a great site compared to a news Scalia or a euro box man!

Didn’t know about the transcontinental, did you guys at jm have any dealings with Bruce at helmark or his son mark?

I was chatting on here late last year to tony smith from audenshaw who ran the lovely old 141, along with the barry hogan Volvo f12’s and the helmark trucks the jm Mercs and Tony’s scanny we had some good looking trucks around our way back in the 80’s.

Thanks, harryvr6.

Around 1988 89 I used to see the jm turquoise trucks around trafford park whilst travelling with my dad,
,I remember the transcontinental,and they had at least 2 LP cabbed mercs and the rest were sk,s. They all looked well worked.

I got a couple of photos but I was such a saddo and pleased at seeing LP cabbed mercs that the were blurred!

I last saw the s reg merc on the m65 around 5/6 yrs ago,whatever happened to it? I woulld love an old merc to show.

Hopefully someone will know the answer.

The LDoY finals at Cranfield used to have a display of preserved vehicles over the weekend. Visiting once sometime around 1980 I remember seeing a red Foden DG 8 wheel tipper (built in about 1944?) which was in everyday use. I think the vehicle and its owner were featured in Truck magazine at some time.

Does anyone have any more details or better still a picture?

yes we had 6 sks 4 full sleeper cabs, and 2 quarter cabs witch i remeber collecting from foleys and we had 5 lp 1418 and 1 transcon

when we put the 1st tri-axle on we had stack pipe as you can imagin these were very noisey

cav551:
Hopefully someone will know the answer.

The LDoY finals at Cranfield used to have a display of preserved vehicles over the weekend. Visiting once sometime around 1980 I remember seeing a red Foden DG 8 wheel tipper (built in about 1944?) which was in everyday use. I think the vehicle and its owner were featured in Truck magazine at some time.

Does anyone have any more details or better still a picture?

Possibly Edgar Waine and his Foden FG?

FPT483 by mwsmith20, on Flickr
In use until 1992 - when the owner was 70

It’s still about but sadly neglected by its new owners…

What about this?

A Scammell S26 refueller – seen today at Strensham

fryske:
What about this?

A Scammell S26 refueller – seen today at Strensham

Air Ambulance base by the looks of it Steve.
Cheers Dave.