Low bridge on A85 towards Oban

Fair old mix of bikes there! One of the things I love about biking is the mix of machines and riders but everybody rubs along well.

Harley-Davidsons excepted :grimacing:

[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
overwieght
overpriced
and
over here. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
overwieght
overpriced
and
over here. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
A bloke once said to me “a HD is the best way to convert petrol to noise without producing any horsepower by-products” :laughing:

The Davidson of Harley-davidson fame was a Scot, he hailed from Brechin. Good picture of the P.S.Waverley. I cycled up Rest and be Thankful many times ,there is a side road at the top called Hells Glen it would be fun on a motor cycle as well.

Xtreme0964:
Hey all, I have been given a trip for monday heading to oban from glasgow. Ive been told by four drivers at my place of work that the 14ft bridge near Achnacloich is ok for a 14ft 2 trailer?
Has anyone been under it with a higher trailer or should i save the embarrassment of the risk and go the long way round?
Must Edit** the trailer is 4.3m which is 4ft 1 and according to traffic scotland the bridge is 4.26m, think it will be a drop air thing

I know the bridge well and go under it often. DO NOT go under it if over 14 foot. It is an arched rail bridge and we have two types of low trailers. Our 4.3m will not fit but our special HJ trailers go through.

The interesting thing about this bridge is that the road sign and sat navs all report it as 13 feet 9 in but it is actually 14 feet. This causes my Aguri sat nav to have apoplexy and it tries to send me everywhere but loose until I have gone under it!

A more interesting scenario is the Connel bridge linking Oban and Fort William. Here I do dump the suspension even with an HJ trailer. You don’t want to be like this muppet.

obantimes.co.uk/2017/12/20/ … el-bridge/

I’ve been thinking about it over the weekend and a few have said they been through with higher, had five lads at my work all said they have been through with a 4.3m trailer no problems which leaves me tempted to just go for it and drop the air and take it slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let us know if you make it or not :slight_smile:

I’m reliably informed that although the bridge is marked at 14’, 15’ trailers go under it. And withour lowering the suspension!!

So go for it.

Xtreme0964:
Hey all, I have been given a trip for monday heading to oban from glasgow. Ive been told by four drivers at my place of work that the 14ft bridge near Achnacloich is ok for a 14ft 2 trailer?
Has anyone been under it with a higher trailer or should i save the embarrassment of the risk and go the long way round?
Must Edit** the trailer is 4.3m which is 4ft 1 and according to traffic scotland the bridge is 4.26m, think it will be a drop air thing

Been under this bridge dozens if not hundreds of times and several of these times have been well over 14ft.
Most recently before i came of the road was a waste baler, running height of 14’8’’ also witnesed high cube containers going through and once followed a local with a double deck cattle wagon squeeze under.
So I think at 14’1’’ you will be fine.

Give yourself a bit of extra knowledge. Measure the actual height that you’re running at. It’s not unusual for trailers to be marked up to show a little taller than they really are. You might well find that when you use a height stick, you are really at 14’0”.