Fun and games with low bridges

Looks on my truck atlas and my delivery point on the B4060 (Wickraw to Kingswood in Glos) is in between two bridges. One is labelled at 15’ the other isn’t labelled at all. So puts it into my truck nav and its sending me in via Kingswood which on the map looks fine. Gets to Kingswood and am greeted by a 12’ 3" bridge warning sign 2 miles ahead. So stops and a local comes out of his house and confidently informs me the nursery is before the low bridge. I reason that it’s the second bridge that’s 12’ 3" and I can go under the first bridge. Gets going and then finally approach the first bridge with no nursery my side and it’s 12’ 3". Have to back up about a mile until I can get turned round. Then stops at a safe point as I’m now on 4h 35 driving and puts it on break. Rings up the nursery, and am told that the other bridge is also low but not as low as it says and I should get under and they’ll stop the traffic and guide me under. With a lot of foreboding I agree and do a 6 mile loop round and park up before the other bridge which is signed not at 15’ as in my atlas but 12’ 10". True to their word they guided me in and out under the arch bridge. I was running at 14’ 2" and got under with the suspension lowered. All in all a good fun day.

Braver man than me.

I was told in a previous job that going under a bridge that you were sign posted as to tall for was still an offence.

Is this true?

went to Oban the other day, loked at my map, that was a s clear as mud with loads of low bridges marked, but couldn’t see which roads they were on, so asked for directions form transport and they assured me my chosen route was good. Turned onto the run in to Ob an and warning sign indicating low bridge at Connel and my satnav was saying don’t go that way low bridge. So stop and phoned transport again (Spoke to someone who had regularly driven the route) and they stated I was on the right road and not to worry. So tried it and the bridge was marked 2" higher than me so fitted through no problem. Satnav had the bridge at 2" lower than me and had been trying to send me on 100 mile detour.

One of our lads was going to peel ports at Moore near Warrington, the bridge just outside the place is 15 foot, he was 15’4 he had a reach truck on the back, so he drove the reach truck off under the bridge then followed it and reloaded, got to site and unloaded again but the mast was too high and wouldn’t go under their doors, he then had to repeat the whole rigmarole again to get back the depot :laughing:

alicks77:
Braver man than me.

I was told in a previous job that going under a bridge that you were sign posted as to tall for was still an offence.

Is this true?

It’s a triangle so a warning, not mandatory. As far as I understand it. :bulb:

Wouldn’t fancy doing it again tbh because I was completely reliant of the man pointing which way to steer. Yet had I hit the bridge I’d have been entirely responsible.

You got shafted by a random member of the public telling you porkies - or telling what they thought was the truth, but just getting it plain wrong. Could have turned out nasty, but you worked around their bull.

Can Society get past people like the bystander you mentioned - I wonder? :frowning: