LOST IN FRANCE

Take your trunk’s.It’s going to be very wet today.I have CACES 1,3 and 5.I used to have 10 in the UK but no need for it here.
Enjoy your Hobbit hole.
Owen

Maybe your “Maire” are hoping you’ll dig your own grave ? !!

Tim85:
No points only a fine :slight_smile: or prison if you kill someone :wink: got cases tomorrow cat 1 minipelle cat 2 pelle greater than 6 tonnes and cat 10 lowloader in a quarry have you seen the forecast for tomorrow :open_mouth:

Nice one Tim, that’s a lot of money’s worth of training right there :sunglasses:

Craig 111:

Tim85:
No points only a fine :slight_smile: or prison if you kill someone :wink: got cases tomorrow cat 1 minipelle cat 2 pelle greater than 6 tonnes and cat 10 lowloader in a quarry have you seen the forecast for tomorrow :open_mouth:

Nice one Tim, that’s a lot of money’s worth of training right there :sunglasses:

How did you get on with your CASES? In these uncertain times grab any qualifications available! Friday, I visited the quarry I used to work, it is owned by CHASSE (VINCI), they have got rid of all their drivers and are now asking for voluntary redundancies. They have also set up a rival distribution company 2 kilometres down the road - I’ve seen this many times :wink: I bet they close the quarry, get rid of all the staff and have it taken over by the new setup, trimming off all the unprofitable parts. I think this will happen soon :cry: This way they can write off the loss and take grants etc, whilst employing the ex staff at lower wages with no bonuses! Clever people :smiling_imp: They don’t take into account peoples’ lives, hopes and futures.
Tell me, whatever happened to Fontenay rugby club? In my younger days I played some hard matches against them, lost sometimes - today they seem to be lower than low! They were particularly good during the years that they built the motorway down to Niort as they recruited a lot of the “Navvies”.

daidog:

Craig 111:

Tim85:

How did you get on with your CASES? In these uncertain times grab any qualifications available! Friday, I visited the quarry I used to work, it is owned by CHASSE (VINCI), they have got rid of all their drivers and are now asking for voluntary redundancies. They have also set up a rival distribution company 2 kilometres down the road - I’ve seen this many times :wink: I bet they close the quarry, get rid of all the staff and have it taken over by the new setup, trimming off all the unprofitable parts. I think this will happen soon :cry: This way they can write off the loss and take grants etc, whilst employing the ex staff at lower wages with no bonuses! Clever people :smiling_imp: They don’t take into account peoples’ lives, hopes and futures.
Tell me, whatever happened to Fontenay rugby club? In my younger days I played some hard matches against them, lost sometimes - today they seem to be lower than low! They were particularly good during the years that they built the motorway down to Niort as they recruited a lot of the “Navvies”.

The weather was atrocious! the claypit/quarry is just a big hole in the ground in a big field, no shelter or facilities of any sort! As far as training went it was a bit of a joke, There were too many of us (9) I thought some parts of the practical training was seriously lacking! and with so many of us not enough time doing the practical bit hands on. I have got the ticket for CAT 1 and Cat 2 to go with the CAT 4 I have already.

I didn’t do the low loader, the trainer decided that with the weather conditions and the lowloader ‘trop juste’ for the excavator, everything covered in mud and I had never loaded the digger before, he decided it was too dangerous. My boss is not very happy apparently!

Fontenay rugby, I’m not much into sport but they are still a respected group, they have joined up with Luçon now, my daugter played in their girls team for a while.

Off to UK next Sunday for a week, so it is my turn to have a few pints :wink: Finish up for the Christmas holidays on Friday and don’t go back until the 12th January

Tim85:
As far as training went it was a bit of a joke, There were too many of us (9) I thought some parts of the practical training was seriously lacking! and with so many of us not enough time doing the practical bit hands on. I have got the ticket for CAT 1 and Cat 2 to go with the CAT 4 I have already.

Sounds like when I did my Hiab ticket back in the UK 18 months ago. Had about 10 mins hands-on experience and then it was certified. Shame it’s not recognised in France :angry:

Tim85:
Off to UK next Sunday for a week, so it is my turn to have a few pints :wink: Finish up for the Christmas holidays on Friday and don’t go back until the 12th January

Very nice Tim, you heading back by road or plane? We’re off to Cornwall later today as the firm gave me two weeks off so the RTT hours are reset to zero. Filled up our VW camper diesel tank at Intermarché for just 1.10 a litre … it’s going to hurt paying nearly 50% more in the UK when the fuel tank runs dry!

By road, up to Le Havre for late afternoon sailing to Portsmouth. It gets in about 9.30 in the evening then couple of hours up to Chippenham, ASDA and Sainsbury lorries permitting :slight_smile: Just going for the week as leaving Mrs Tim on her own looking after the dogs. Have a good trip,

Tim85:
By road, up to Le Havre for late afternoon sailing to Portsmouth. It gets in about 9.30 in the evening then couple of hours up to Chippenham, ASDA and Sainsbury lorries permitting :slight_smile: Just going for the week as leaving Mrs Tim on her own looking after the dogs. Have a good trip,

Have nice time both! Should you have the time, stop by for a beer. I am 5 minutes off the 137, 15 mins after Nantes direction Rennes :smiley: 4 to 4 1/2 hours to Havre, Cherbourg 3 1/2 to Caen driving tidy! Keep your elbows in!

daidog:

Tim85:

Have nice time both! Should you have the time, stop by for a beer. I am 5 minutes off the 137, 15 mins after Nantes direction Rennes :smiley: 4 to 4 1/2 hours to Havre, Cherbourg 3 1/2 to Caen driving tidy! Keep your elbows in!

Thanks Dave. I chose the direct way north, via Bergerac, up to Limoges and then Vierzon on to Rouen, and eventually Calais. It’s the cheapest route with a high roof camper van.

Bonne semaine les gars :wink:

Well off we go. Delivered refuge dog to Avranches. Now set sail for pompy . It is rough mid channel :frowning: I am
not a good sailor hand a pint of beer :slight_smile: hope i don’t see it twice :frowning:

Tim85:
Well off we go. Delivered refuge dog to Avranches. Now set sail for pompy . It is rough mid channel :frowning: I am
not a good sailor hand a pint of beer :slight_smile: hope i don’t see it twice :frowning:

Over the years I have taken ferries from anywhere to everywhere, trust me when I tell you that ; There is only one cure for seasickness - Sit under a tree for 1/2 a hour :smiley:
Have a nice holiday, merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :exclamation:
Dave

They said it would be rough. Wasn’t that bad been on a few trips where most of the duty free was on the floor :open_mouth:

Well, where did that week go! I arrived, then all of a sudden it was Christmas day then it was time to go home! It was nice to see my mum though, hope you guys have had a good festive season all the best for 2015

Happy New year everyone.
Time flies, enjoy it while you can!
This year is my 41 st. year of driving 38 in HGV (officially). I have driven old trucks, new trucks, 4 wheelers, 6 wheelers, 8 wheelers, loads of wheelers and one where the some wheels fell off making it a 15 wheeler :confused: I have even driven a 3 wheeled truck (united dairies) I have driven for good bosses, myself, bad bosses, crooks, smugglers, liars and thieves, French, German, Spanish, Irish, English, Swiss, Welsh and Jewish bosses (The best). I have travelled to every country in mainland Europe and quite a few outside Europe :slight_smile: Fire tenders, Tippers, tilts, tauts, flats, tankers, fridges, convoi X and just about anything else that rolls. I have never had an accident, even someone else’s fault :laughing: I have also never “paid” a fine!
I have met some lovely and horrible people, mostly nice people :wink:
Some things I have never managed:
I have never picked up a stunning blonde and had her beg me for ■■■, I must be unlucky as a lot of “Routiers” I meet get this everyday :smiley: I did once pick up an Australian girl somewhere in Germany late at night in the middle of a thunderstorm (I didn’t even realise that it was a her) and I think I could have had my wicked way with her, but she was the ugliest bint I had ever seen (I don’t know what a kanga’s a*rse looks like, probably just like her face) so I played the gentleman and didn’t ask :exclamation: Anyway, she slept in the trailer for the weekend on Frankfurt airport. :imp: I stayed with my Frankfurt girlfriend.
I have always said YES to my boss’ and then did as I liked.
I have always respected the law :wink: (Mostly from a distance) and almost never filed disks out of the window.
I never liked driving, but I could have chosen many careers more boring. I feel a bit sorry for young drivers today - they will never know the pleasure of driving with no heater, no windows, no mirrors, bald tyres, faulty brakes, defective lights, overweight, no time, bribes. They, on the other hand, will know - cabs decked out like a Spanish brothel, spies in and out of the cab (even in the sky), synchro gearboxes, automatic brakes and clutches, GPS, TV, radio, etc. The only thing missing today is a good living wage! The job has become one run by those that have never done it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
Anyway, before I overwhelm myself with nostalgie let me wish you all, once again, a Happy and Prosperous New Year and as the French always tag on at the end “Good Health” :smiley:

I love your post Dai I have not been driving as long as you but I seem to have managed to squeeze most of the things you mentioned in my small career :slight_smile: you are lucky you never found that pretty blond!, I did once but had to take strong antibiotics after :wink: hope her in doors don’t see this !! I have never had a serious accident! but did have to call my boss to tell him I had broken my right hand side rear view mirror (15000 euros to get the lorry out of the ditch !!) oops, he was really nice about it though!!

Was thinking going up to the ports last week dai, you can’t be too far from the proposed new Nantes airport?? will that affect you ?

voila, Happy new year to you and yours and of course everyone on this little French thread

I suppose I sound a bit cynical when I look back, but I spent a fair amount of time on strike to create and gain a decent wage for decent work and decent working conditions. The wages, post strike circa 1983, were calculated on the SMIC so, Co-ef 150 was 1 1/2 times the minimum wage. Co-ef 138 was linked to TP hours. Delivery drivers had special hours which ensure that they didn’t have to work 200+ hours a month, easy as a routier! Retirement at 55 (57 today, but I think I am the last to get this?). Nights out paid, before the '83 strikes this was not the case! Fines paid by the boss, only given in April 2013! I believe that it is now not allowed to drive without heating or even a radio! This would have been a dream (We were lucky to have windows), but tomorrow, should bosses decide, the youngsters today would lose all this! Today they strike for Diesel prices and employers tax breaks. I would never strike to improve the bosses lot, but I left a lot of time on picket lines to make this job a real job. Don’t get me going on this. . . (By the way, I am centre left, what we call today “Old Labour”. I believe in clause four).
To Notre Dame de Landes - I actually own land which touches on NDL. When picking up supplies from the Co-OP I often pop in for a beer in the one café. Local people are really fed up with the situation! Apart from one or two, the locals just want the project to go ahead and help the unemployment situation, which hovers around the 110%. Local companies are going bust at the speed of light, suicides and desperation are / is rife! There is nothing at NDL - want to start a farm? There are 100s of Ha’s going begging, the land is crap! The ecologists are against everything, even farms (1000 cows, OGM, pesticides, herbicides, septic tanks, etc) they just want to sht on their two carrots and call it “BIO”. They don’t want the TGV to Turin, reservoirs, supermarkets, recycling projects, or anything that creates work! Above all they don’t want anything that might make them do a days work, just keep the RMI coming!!! They don’t want cars, but hitch-hike everywhere and drive, and live in, mobile, polluting dustbins. They make local people pay to get home, they have barricades and man them 24/24 anyone driving a 4 X4 or unwilling to pay gets beaten up! There are no police, they are not allowed in the ZAD. Locally, just about every Saturday, they smash up the centre of Nantes and attack the police, in the name of peace and progress. In short we are being held to hostage by 50/100 new age travelers and have a government without the blls to implement the laws which have been voted. So, what do I think about NDL? I think that when the project finally starts my farm will be worth over a million quid, what do you think I think? Ecologist = Retardist Think about it - have you ever met a tee-total, vegetarian or ecologist who is fun to be around? :smiley: All this plays into the hands of Marine!
Happy New Year!
When you take the 'plane from NDL park your car in my place and I’ll run you there, or you can walk!
I wonder how Craig is?

daidog:
I wonder how Craig is?

Craig is very well thanks Dave; just got out of bed after working through the New Year. If only the rest of France wasn’t so keen on food we fridge drivers could have a day or two off! At least it was well paid - yes, those jobs do still exist - part of the advantage when the firm one works for belongs in part to the employees.

And on the subject of how badly we’re treated here, I’m not moaning about how we’re looked after in Agen: How many transport firms put on a Christmas do for the families of the employees, with a 40 euro cheque cadeau for every child and a magic show for all, plus another New Year’s dinner-dance for the employees and spouses in a three star chateau restaurant? They also organise at least two all-paid family outings with decent grub and day-long activities where you treated like an equal by the bosses (no ‘vous’ nonsense), and organise your working pattern when necessary around your domestic situation. Certainly we have to work unsociable hours, but that’s fridge work, yet there’s never any pressure put on the drivers to break the law, and the kit, if unspectacular, is relatively tidy for a French outfit. In 29 years of driving I’ve worked for much, much worse firms, and even though I too can look back fondly to a younger self waking up in a day cab Merc in a snow covered layby somewhere in Blighty, or tearing up the A30 in the early morning with the tacho needle past the 6 o’clock position, I wouldn’t go back to those days, even if I miss driving a Fuller clutchless and not having to have a ‘ticket’ for every single task where commonsense and skill were the more important attributes.

Time to go out for a ride on me bike … life isn’t just about work :wink:

Bonne année et bonne santé les gars :sunglasses:

Ahh there he is, thought you might still be lost in england! :slight_smile: You certainly wouldn’t want to go for a bike ride in the Vendee today! it is yuk outside. I have to go to town in a minute to get some bits for Xmas dinner no. 2 Daughter and Son in law are coming from Nantes, they were both working over Christmas so dinner was delayed, it is Mrs Tims birthday too so two birds with one stone! Still got another weeks holiday, well, a couple of days CP and the rest RTT

Happy New Year Craig

Whilst, nowadays, I have a good opinion of TFE they were not always nice people.
I think you may be a bit confused over who invited you for the Christmas bash - It was not the company! It was your CE! All companies with over 20 (?) employees are obliged by law to create a CE. For this they get obligatory tax breaks and pretend that it is a form of largess to treat their employees nicely. I think you have a good CE! I wonder if Tim got Champagne? I have worked for companies where the CE is completely in the hands of the bosses (Antoine) and others where the employees take control, (LOVEFRANCE). Generally speaking the better the “bash” the better the management of the CE. Experience has taught me that the CFTD tends to be the best at running the affair. When working for Alcatel, some years ago, the CE was controlled by the CGT and I often saw envelopes changing hands, I was reliably informed that the contents of each envelope averaged 700 Francs! The union reps would often go on weekends away in one of the several chateaux owned by the CGT. Representatives on the CE also get, I think?, 3 days per month off to conduct union/CE business. I once worked for a Jew in Paris and he gave presents almost everyday to his drivers.
On the other hand - most companies being small affairs the employees have no CE, no “Mutuel” no advantages in nature of any kind and a large number of employers create a new company when they expand as this is cheaper than having to treat their employees humanly. Here in Heric I know of a man that has over 20 companies with less than 20 employees (His wife is English).
Of course, I am on the side of the underdog and have fought for fairness all my life.
I have always believed that anyone doing the same job - Black, white, yellow, man, woman, homo, lesbian, handicapped, toothless, wimp, should be treated the same. Some years ago I worked for a company, as staff, where only staff were allowed to eat in the canteen - I never ate in the canteen! Pollono in Thouaré is the only company I have ever known that does not allow drivers to eat in the “vestiaire” it being reserved for office “wallers”, at lunchtime!!!
By the way, I once parked my truck up for the weekend, somewhere where I shouldn’t have been! It froze solid to the ground - it took me 2 days to get out without ripping the tread off the tyres! (MAT Transport circa 1983). The lie machine worked overtime for the two days.

Tim85:
Ahh there he is, thought you might still be lost in england! :slight_smile: You certainly wouldn’t want to go for a bike ride in the Vendee today! it is yuk outside.

England; ah yes, I went throught there on the way back from Kernow! (that’s Cornwall for you English chaps, Dave excepted!) The weather here isn’t all that great today either but it’s just a case of wrapping up and pedalling.

BTW Dave, I’m fully aware of the activities of our CE, but the company itself also arranges certain events, such as last year when we celebrated 10 years of our new depot with an all day party, kids activities, a traiteur preparing top class grub, etc, all done aside from the CE. The CE does a great job, but the Direction is also very proactive, not perfect, but very good.

And I do know TFE from the other side, so to speak. I worked for one of their UK subbies through TFE Euroventure a couple of decades back. As some others on here will attest, you’re not paid to hang about in routiers all day on that job :wink: