Life as a French truck driver

What’s life like as a French truck driver? And compared to a UK trucker?

I’m French/British so I can either be a british trucker based in the UK and try and do as much European work as possible (I know that’s fairly tricky), or become a french trucker and be based in the country I want to be driving in.
What’s the quality of life and the bureaucracy side of things like? What’s it like on the road, is there more respect, less of a “rough” side (more civilised)? I know from growing up on the road that stop-off areas are a LOT nicer!

Any info whatsoever on the subject would be greatly appreciated. It’s a big decision to make!

Cheers.

As you know the aire de repos are much better and they provide picnic tables, the area they place them are in natural beauty, and a long way from the noise of the road so you sleep well.In a forest or wooded area.
The Uk government has stopped plans to be build free pull off rest areas, these are good for safety, for a tired driver to have 40 winks. On a UK motorway the distances are too far and dangerous.
You have free truck parking in Europe, the UK is £30 per night,that is at Clacket Lane on the M25, some firms ban the drivers parking there.
You have more respect for a driver over in Euroland, no Nimbies moaning at you for going over weight limits and bridges.
Bettter food too, with a waiter or waitress to serve you while you sit down at tables with clean white table cloths, they wear uniform, and a drivers menu for 10 to 20 euros, 6 or 5 courses.
In the Uk you see road side tea vans or old caravans, they are not fit for a dog to dine in there, if the cook wants to use the portaloo, and there is no soap or water in there to wash your hands, do not eat there, or risk food poisoning.

think i would prefer to be a french trucker :smiley:

madmanjay:
think i would prefer to be a french trucker :smiley:

on a French pension! :sunglasses: retired very early :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: viva l’ angleterre :laughing:

toby1234abc:
As you know the aire de repos are much better and they provide picnic tables, the area they place them are in natural beauty, and a long way from the noise of the road so you sleep well.In a forest or wooded area.
The Uk government has stopped plans to be build free pull off rest areas, these are good for safety, for a tired driver to have 40 winks. On a UK motorway the distances are too far and dangerous.
You have free truck parking in Europe, the UK is £30 per night,that is at Clacket Lane on the M25, some firms ban the drivers parking there.
You have more respect for a driver over in Euroland, no Nimbies moaning at you for going over weight limits and bridges.
Bettter food too, with a waiter or waitress to serve you while you sit down at tables with clean white table cloths, they wear uniform, and a drivers menu for 10 to 20 euros, 6 or 5 courses.
In the Uk you see road side tea vans or old caravans, they are not fit for a dog to dine in there, if the cook wants to use the portaloo, and there is no soap or water in there to wash your hands, do not eat there, or risk food poisoning.

Looks like you’ve summed it all up very nicely there to be honest! That’s helped enormously put everything in perspective for me!!! Seems like a no brainer to stay in France, my home country.