Lorry driver given four year sentence after fatal

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:
One thing that always confuses me is why holding a phone to your ear can cause an accident?

ffs jake youre just provoking argument … are you that bored, give it a rest :unamused:

Nope, not bored at all. Sitting in a bar having a few beers and having an occasional glance at my favourite forum. :laughing:

Mmmm classic Billy no mates sitting in a bar on the phone obviously no one interested in the world according to Jake, Quelle surprise!!!

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:
it’s the phone call itself so holding the phone or being hands free makes no difference imo.

This is ridiculous. It’s no different to having a conversation with a passenger (still legal) or listening to BBC R4 and screaming at the person talking (like I do) :blush:

It’s the idiots texting and reading who take their attention off the road. You will notice the big craze against phones started about the time when “smart” phones came in and rightly so. Before there were hands-free things too and it wasn’t an issue. Before handheld phones there used to be car manufacturer installed phones in cars, remember?

ACtually talking to a live person in the car is worse because you have to look at them from time to time

Mazzer2:

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:
One thing that always confuses me is why holding a phone to your ear can cause an accident?

ffs jake youre just provoking argument … are you that bored, give it a rest :unamused:

Nope, not bored at all. Sitting in a bar having a few beers and having an occasional glance at my favourite forum. :laughing:

Mmmm classic Billy no mates sitting in a bar on the phone obviously no one interested in the world according to Jake, Quelle surprise!!!

If that’s what you think that keeps me happy. :wink:

ETS:

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:
it’s the phone call itself so holding the phone or being hands free makes no difference imo.

This is ridiculous. It’s no different to having a conversation with a passenger (still legal) or listening to BBC R4 and screaming at the person talking (like I do) :blush:

It’s the idiots texting and reading who take their attention off the road. You will notice the big craze against phones started about the time when “smart” phones came in and rightly so. Before there were hands-free things too and it wasn’t an issue. Before handheld phones there used to be car manufacturer installed phones in cars, remember?

ACtually talking to a live person in the car is worse because you have to look at them from time to time

You have a lot to learn son. :wink:

jakethesnake:

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:

I actually agree with this.
It’s not holding the phone to your ear that causes the crash by distraction, it’s the phone call itself so holding the phone or being hands free makes no difference imo.

Yep, you have cracked it I reckon but we will always get the ones that think they are capable.
Of course some are more capable than others but can anyone afford to take the chance?

Hands free will be banned soon.

‘‘Autopilot mode’’ in a truck is a technique that comes with experience imo.
You invariably get the situation where you need to take some sort of evasive action whilst in that mode, and manage to do so, but at the same time you have passed 2 or more MSAs for instance, but have no recollection of doing so…not necessarily on a phone either.
After saying that though, that guy was 69 years old, with presumably vast experience, but effed up…, so as you say it’s an individual thing it seems.

No doubt the blanket /baby with bathwater ban situation will come about, as true to form in the UK. :unamused: , despite the problem not justifying it…I mean it’s one or two cases in last few years, not exactly epidemic problem proportions is it. :unamused:

jakethesnake:

ETS:

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:

You have a lot to learn son. :wink:

Don’t agree Jake.,
For once. Mr ETS isn’t being the big ‘I am’ and talking through his rectal orifice, and shock horror :open_mouth: guess what?
…I agree with him :open_mouth:
, and I certainly ain’t got ‘a lot to learn’ .

peterm:
Why only four years. This prick should have got the maximum jail time and banned for life. He’s killed an innocent woman and he’ll be out in next to no time. I hope this is appealed and increased.

Hand on heart have you ever used a blue tooth ear piece or a hands free phone while driving? Most of us have. I thought when I read the story was the ■■■■■■■■ has wrecked the dead womans families life then I remembered, I got to see if my bluetooth headset have finished charging, which means I no better than him so I can hardly judge him.

Your prerogative Rob. Plenty like your self that have had their minds changed suddenly but hey ho.

elsa Lad:

peterm:
Why only four years. This prick should have got the maximum jail time and banned for life. He’s killed an innocent woman and he’ll be out in next to no time. I hope this is appealed and increased.

Hand on heart have you ever used a blue tooth ear piece or a hands free phone while driving? Most of us have. I thought when I read the story was the [zb] has wrecked the dead womans families life then I remembered, I got to see if my bluetooth headset have finished charging, which means I no better than him so I can hardly judge him.

Like your style elsa lad… Honest.

ETS:
69 year old lorry driver? You’re kidding. He probably has the reflexes of a dead mouse. Was he one of them “Oh I’ve been driving these things for 40 years - never had an accident, I can handle a phone and a steering wheel at the s…OH CRAP!!”

That is ageist,no need for it.

that section of A12 always has queuing traffic being local hed have known that. most everyone eases off in the mile or so before you get to even see the queue length which can vary from a 1/4 mile or only a 100 yards . theres allus slow moving queue in all lanes you can see from way back its not like theres a sharp bend , no matter which lane you are in visibilty is good . From what i read he never braked once.

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:

Nope, not bored at all. Sitting in a bar having a few beers and having an occasional glance at my favourite forum. [emoji38]

You must be a bundle fun in the pub

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jimcab:

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

jakethesnake:

Nope, not bored at all. Sitting in a bar having a few beers and having an occasional glance at my favourite forum. [emoji38]

You must be a bundle fun in the pub

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah been a great night so far pal and still going strong. Bar open till two. Have a great day at work tomorrow. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[/quote]
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
there has to be absolutely no way that post can possibly be genuine.
obviously it can be imagined without too much imagination that you are sitting as billy no mates alone in a world of solitude and self abuse,but theres no way its in a pub as if your 1 % in reality as you try to be in here,then you would instantly be glassed and enroute to 6 hours of major surgery.
keep it real when your posting pish and make it even slightly believable? :unamused:

elsa Lad:

peterm:

Hand on heart have you ever used a blue tooth ear piece or a hands free phone while driving? Most of us have. I thought when I read the story was the [zb] has wrecked the dead womans families life then I remembered, I got to see if my bluetooth headset have finished charging, which means I no better than him so I can hardly judge him.

Hand on heart, yes I have. That was to receive a call because the old banger I was driving was bloody noisy and had no a/c. When I heard a call, I stopped before calling back on the bosses phone.

muckles:

jakethesnake:

Well that would depend on how much you believe the research is relivent to real World situation, I’ve read the TRL research paper much of the headlines were based on.

They used a car simulator and asked those taking part to drive various routes, then measured speed, accuracy and reaction times, of them while driving without distractions, while using hands free, while using a hand held mobile and while just drunk enough to fail a breath test.

So far so good,

But they didn’t get them to have a chat with a mate, instead thrh were asked to do mental arithmetic problems, repeat complex sentences and surprise, surprise, it appears its quite difficult to do.

I would have liked to see another group tested generally talking [zb] with a mate, apparently this wasn’t done as you can’t quantify the results, but surely as a comparison against the others tests it could have been quantified.

In this case although the driver had been talking for 20 minutes, just before the collision he was dialing a number, which no doubt had taken both his eyes and attention from the road ahead.

As for mobile phone use while driving generally, well it seems to be an epidemic, driving a LHD truck I see them on their phone checking social media, etc, as I pass them because they’ve slowed down so much while doing it.

Chatting with a mate about your weekend plans, cruising on a boring m-way is one thing.
Office calling to change delivery address when you’re in a town centre is summat else.
Driving in dense fog on a strange road, when your missus calls to say she’s run off with the milkman is different again.

robroy:

jakethesnake:

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:

I actually agree with this.
It’s not holding the phone to your ear that causes the crash by distraction, it’s the phone call itself so holding the phone or being hands free makes no difference imo.

Yep, you have cracked it I reckon but we will always get the ones that think they are capable.
Of course some are more capable than others but can anyone afford to take the chance?

Hands free will be banned soon.

‘‘Autopilot mode’’ in a truck is a technique that comes with experience imo.
You invariably get the situation where you need to take some sort of evasive action whilst in that mode, and manage to do so, but at the same time you have passed 2 or more MSAs for instance, but have no recollection of doing so…not necessarily on a phone either.
After saying that though, that guy was 69 years old, with presumably vast experience, but effed up…, so as you say it’s an individual thing it seems.

No doubt the blanket /baby with bathwater ban situation will come about, as true to form in the UK. :unamused: , despite the problem not justifying it…I mean it’s one or two cases in last few years, not exactly epidemic problem proportions is it. :unamused:

Definitely more than one or two cases a year. The problem is there are many drivers like yourself that think they are perfectly capable to maintain full concentration whilst having a conversation.
Of course a lot depends on the driver and the conversation however I am fairly certain the guy that has been jailed thought he was capable probably making and taking calls everyday.Never had a problem till now.
That’s my point, it can all go wrong very quickly for anyone having their concentration disturbed. It only needs to happen once and in this case the poor driver will regret it for the rest of his life no doubt.
It’s just not worth it to me but I understand it has now become part of the job nowadays.(sadly)

jakethesnake:
Definitely more than one or two cases a year. The problem is there are many drivers like yourself that think they are perfectly capable to maintain full concentration whilst having a conversation.
Of course a lot depends on the driver and the conversation however I am fairly certain the guy that has been jailed thought he was capable probably making and taking calls everyday.Never had a problem till now.
That’s my point, it can all go wrong very quickly for anyone having their concentration disturbed. It only needs to happen once and in this case the poor driver will regret it for the rest of his life no doubt.
It’s just not worth it to me but I understand it has now become part of the job nowadays.(sadly)

What distracted this driver? Was it the 20 minute phone call, which was completed before he was involved in the colision or was it taking his eyes and attention from the road to dial a number just before the colision?

jakethesnake:

More than 1 or 2 a year?..really?
They always tend to be rightly so high profile when fatalities occur in those phone related situations, so unless you are confusing your last ‘‘utter carnage’’ theory on here with reality, I don’t see where you are coming from on this tbh. :neutral_face:
Furthermore…there you go again with your Jakey generalising/sweeping statements. :unamused:
I ain’t saying I am better than anybody else, what I am saying is that I’m not some inept buffoon who has to sit there like a robot whilst driving, concentrating 101% and ignoring everything else around me…the same with 1000s of others in fact.
Individuals vary in their multi tasking abilities from person to person, as somebody said, we ALL used hand held phones at first, the adept managed, the inept did not.
So pleaseJake you know nothing about me (as I’ ve told you many times on here before) so don’t tell me what I am and am not able to do…Cheers.
As for things maybe or likely going wrong…that’s life in anything, accidents happen.
By your standards and theories, If I had an accident whilst picking my nose or scratching my arse, would that be also called for a blanket ban?

Franglais:

muckles:

jakethesnake:

Well that would depend on how much you believe the research is relivent to real World situation, I’ve read the TRL research paper much of the headlines were based on.

They used a car simulator and asked those taking part to drive various routes, then measured speed, accuracy and reaction times, of them while driving without distractions, while using hands free, while using a hand held mobile and while just drunk enough to fail a breath test.

So far so good,

But they didn’t get them to have a chat with a mate, instead thrh were asked to do mental arithmetic problems, repeat complex sentences and surprise, surprise, it appears its quite difficult to do.

I would have liked to see another group tested generally talking [zb] with a mate, apparently this wasn’t done as you can’t quantify the results, but surely as a comparison against the others tests it could have been quantified.

In this case although the driver had been talking for 20 minutes, just before the collision he was dialing a number, which no doubt had taken both his eyes and attention from the road ahead.

As for mobile phone use while driving generally, well it seems to be an epidemic, driving a LHD truck I see them on their phone checking social media, etc, as I pass them because they’ve slowed down so much while doing it.

Chatting with a mate about your weekend plans, cruising on a boring m-way is one thing.
Office calling to change delivery address when you’re in a town centre is summat else.
Driving in dense fog on a strange road, when your missus calls to say she’s run off with the milkman is different again.

It was part of my point and how the research seemed to constructed to find the answer they wanted and then how the media and pressure groups take the results that suit their agenda to create the headlines without providing any critical feedback. Not only in this but many other things, recently had the one about eating red and processed meat increasing cancer risks, the headlines were made it out to be a great risk, but a group looking at the same research through a staticians eye has quantified the risk, too much criticism from groups with there own agenda who leapt on the original research headlines to back their cause.

Those examples you give could also apply without a phone call, I’ve seen people so engrossed in conversation with their passengers that they had no knowledge of what was going on around them, plenty of people get into vehicle and drive having heard bad news, (or good, unless you feel sorry for the milkman :laughing:) many years ago I was involved in a full scale business meeting in a car driven by my then boss, who whilst driving flat out up the A1 kept turning round to get my opinion, we were trying to save our biggest contract and were going to a crunch meeting with Yorkshire Water, I gave some very quick answers.