Driver gets 10 years

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37823457

A lorry driver who hit and killed a mother and her three children while using his phone behind the wheel has been jailed for 10 years.

Tomasz Kroker, 30, collided with the victims’ car on the A34 in Newbury, Berkshire, on 10 August.

The 30-year-old, from Trajan Walk, Andover, Hampshire, pleaded guilty to four counts of causing death by dangerous driving on 10 October.

He was scrolling through music selections before the crash.

Out in 5.not enough in my opinion

I think his sentence should be longer, and I hope he is never allowed to drive hgv’s again.

Sadly though it’s no solace for those that died and their families…

That should be 10 years x4 = 40 year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet you still see them on their 'phones every day, nobody learns, until it’s too late.
Condolences to the family, may your loved ones rest in peace.

Not nearly long enough.

Because he pleaded guilty early is that why he had a lenient sentence? Shame that he was unscathed and not maimed for life .

Here’s an interesting bit to this from a drivers point of view. I’m an agency driver and I have to sign these declaration sheets, and they are there to protect only the company. I’m asked on nearly every job I go on for my number “in case we need to contact you” , as most companies now don’t have a cab phone to save money. In either event, they knowing you have signed that form won’t stop them calling you, even when they know your moving and can see that on a tracker. I wonder what the attitude will be once you’ve signed a form like that, then say don’t ring me while you know I’m driving . This driver has no excuse for what he did, but I wonder what the police attitude would have been if he’d had answered his phone to them prior to a crash of this magnitude .

roughyed:
Here’s an interesting bit to this from a drivers point of view. I’m an agency driver and I have to sign these declaration sheets, and they are there to protect only the company. I’m asked on nearly every job I go on for my number “in case we need to contact you” , as most companies now don’t have a cab phone to save money. In either event, they knowing you have signed that form won’t stop them calling you, even when they know your moving and can see that on a tracker. I wonder what the attitude will be once you’ve signed a form like that, then say don’t ring me while you know I’m driving . This driver has no excuse for what he did, but I wonder what the police attitude would have been if he’d had answered his phone to them prior to a crash of this magnitude .

Still the drivers fault for answering the phone. If they call, pull in, stop and then answer it. I bet after the second call they decide its not that important to keep phoning

Not enough prison time…

A whole family destroyed.

roughyed:
I’m asked on nearly every job I go on for my number “in case we need to contact you”

Whenever I was asked for my number I always said I didn’t have a mobile phone. There is nothing they can do.

My private number remains exactly that…private.

The-Snowman:

roughyed:

Still the drivers fault for answering the phone. If they call, pull in, stop and then answer it. I bet after the second call they decide its not that important to keep phoning

Yep, I’ve signed something to say I’m aware that I don’t have to answer it whilst driving. I’m expected to park up and call back.

roughyed:

I believe companies have been penailised for calling a driver knowing he was driving at the time.
10 years isn’t enough for wiping out a family and hopefully he is living with the guilt everyday. Two of my work colleagues know the family involved. Tragic.
I hope the truck driver sees those dead children every time he closes his eyes. Whilst I’m sure he didn’t intend to kill anyone that day, he did because the phone call or text message was more important than being a responsible driver. No sympathy.
18 years ago today, I killed a person with my coach and whilst the Coroner cleared me of any blame, I still feel guilty that someone was killed doing their job and, as it turns out, trying to stop me hitting a gatepost.

Extrucker you are being a bit hard on yourself. The coroner exonerated you,you cant see through metal any better than I can. We could all find ourselves in your shoes at any time.I used to answer the phone but I dont bother now.

Bluetooth…earpiece…job done…no need to use it unless your txting or otherwise passing the time…I wonder what kind of sentence all the sanctimonious holier than though brigade would wish upon themselves if they mess up…never judge a man till you’ve walked a mile in his shoes…every time someone drops a bollok,then the same ones start baying for blood and saying he got off lightly…

The driver, acording to reports, was selecting music on his phone, not answering or recieving a call.

Don’t get it with some on here who have this problem about drivers who wear bluetooth sets. :open_mouth: It’s not cool trying to drive with your elbows :unamused:

I vehicle hop all day long and working primarily in the utilities sector it’s essential.

10 years? Not nearly enough considering if he’s a good boy he’ll be out in 5 or something.

Lets hope the scum bag is being ‘spit roasted’ by Her Majestys finest. I’m guessing ■■■■ retention will be at the forefront of his mind.

dieseldog999:
Bluetooth…earpiece…job done…no need to use it unless your txting or otherwise passing the time…I wonder what kind of sentence all the sanctimonious holier than though brigade would wish upon themselves if they mess up…never judge a man till you’ve walked a mile in his shoes…every time someone drops a bollok,then the same ones start baying for blood and saying he got off lightly…

There’s a difference between dropping a bollock and driving like a ■■■. He was looking at his phone for, what, 20 seconds plus? A lot can happen on the road in that time. This was totally avoidable and should make EVERY driver, not just truckers, think before pratting with their gadgets.

One more thing, looks like most of the evidence against him was from the driver facing camera. Like it or not, looks like they’ll become rather popular from here on in.

Southern Daily Echo has some disturbing time lapse pics - showing speed etc, sorry not sure how to post link.

At the risk of upsetting folk, the flip flops seem far more obsessed with their phones than the British.

And we are bad enough.