Looking for old photo's of Forest of Dean firms

As I’ve commented more than once, if I’d known then what I know now, I’d have made a camera as important as my flask over the last 50 years.
The only photos I know of in the public domain are of the vehicles I was driving into Carter’s. A couple of them appeared in a publication called “Trucking Down Memory Lane”, but I’m sure there must be others in existence if only we knew where to look. I used to have a small collection of photos from the 30s up to the mid 60s but due to a fit of pique by a former Mrs ■■■■ after being given her marching orders, they “disappeared” along with other cherished belongings!

We don’t realise these thing’s till it’s way too late…

Tell me about it!

Hi Retired Old ■■■■ there are some old photos of Forest of Dean Transport on Scrapbook Memories put on by Deaneer, here’s what we are driving now

Strensham last year after we had delivered to the NEC

I drove this for Severn Valley Woodworks ex Cecils

Severn Valley Woodworks again

Forest of Dean Transport

All the best Ade

A49 near Dorrington Shropshire,last month.

Dave the Renegade:

Hi Dave thats one of ours, i’m surprised hes moving this is his last lorry

Cheers Ade

Dave the Renegade:

He must have been feeling workish that day Ade. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Dave the Renegade:

He must have been feeling workish that day Ade. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Probably home time :smiley:

wideboybob:
e coombs0lets wet your whistle again…

I used to do quite a bit of low loader work for Eddie before he got his own vehicles. It wasn’t a bad job, but he always wanted his machines moved in the evening or on a Sunday, after they had got a full day’s hire in!
I picked up a dozer one snowy Sunday morning in Blakeney to take to somewhere near Coleford. The machine was complete with blade of about 12 feet wide! Young George said, “It’ll be alright, just keep her tight to the nearside and put the headlights on”.
Managed to complete the job without hitting anything or killing anyone, then met George in The Lamb at Mitcheldean to collect the “bonus” he had promised me, rather than pay me double time for the Sunday morning. He nipped into the general stores next door- which he owned- and returned with half an ounce of Old Holborn!

He was a lovely bloke, but not known for generosity!

Wm. Parry & Sons from St. Briavels, sold their 2 DAF 6 wheeler cattle wagons in the Spring of 2012.
Former driver Robin Harris is photographed here , standing alongside W 402 SRH, in June last year , - for old times sake. :smiley: Robin was the driver of this DAF for a couple of years, before graduating` to a newer and higher-powered model.

Photograph taken in Ross - on - Wye Auction Mart, June 2012.

Happy retirement Robin.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Glad you ressurected this thread, cwm- unfortunately I still haven’t discovered any more photos. Even if I knew how to post them!

any photos on free foresters the blue mercs andrew edwards maybe… didnt like the man much myself mind but nice kit…

Didn’t Free Foresters take over Merrin End when BRS left?

remember them there… they took over Tim Price Pontypool for a few years then a bit of a joint venture with John Bevan Hereford… that fell apart . wasnt long then that foresters and tim price ran and then it all went bust still no photos though…

Forgive me for only just finding this thread.What memories for me :slight_smile: Bob Dowell at George Reads,John Mathews Rusty,s son.I worked on all those trucks at John James,ps; No 6 wheeeler Scammell there.I have cine film of David jumping out of one of the Scammells.ROF,Heres one for you.When Ranks had just started making photo copiers someone had printed a pound note or two.We fitters screwed it up and left it on the floor of the garage toilets.Young flog went in and came out with a big smile on his face.We could not stop laughing at him :smiling_imp: It is/was Clive Turley at Parkend caravans.

leylandlover:
Forgive me for only just finding this thread.What memories for me :slight_smile: Bob Dowell at George Reads,John Mathews Rusty,s son.I worked on all those trucks at John James,ps; No 6 wheeeler Scammell there.I have cine film of David jumping out of one of the Scammells.ROF,Heres one for you.When Ranks had just started making photo copiers someone had printed a pound note or two.We fitters screwed it up and left it on the floor of the garage toilets.Young flog went in and came out with a big smile on his face.We could not stop laughing at him :smiling_imp: It is/was Clive Turley at Parkend caravans.

well ,well, leyland lover…i must know you…i used to live on the corner on the road to joys green. my old man was bill jones.worked for edwards ,then jumped ship to mike prosser.we had the old J4 van with all the lights on! i also worked for glos brs for 13 years then after a spell with wincanton on the St ivel contract, then cyril knowles out of llanwern, i went to barry phelps who had bob dowle as transport manager, they had just been taken over by george allinson transport. left there to start my own buisness up just before bob dowle passed away.he was not to everyones liking but he was fair. oh happy days…

Well here is one i posted in a other post but will post it here and dose any one else have any other pics from this Firm

wideboybob:

leylandlover:

well ,well, leyland lover…i must know you…i used to live on the corner on the road to joys green. my old man was bill jones.worked for edwards ,then jumped ship to mike prosser.we had the old J4 van with all the lights on! i also worked for glos brs for 13 years then after a spell with wincanton on the St ivel contract, then cyril knowles out of llanwern, i went to barry phelps who had bob dowle as transport manager, they had just been taken over by george allinson transport. left there to start my own buisness up just before bob dowle passed away.he was not to everyones liking but he was fair. oh happy days…0

And I dare say leylandlover will remember Bob at Richard Reads? He was there when he got himself onto the Magistrates Bench. There was almost a queue at Longhope waiting to take the p*ss!
I suppose it was a bit like Young George famously being an “Independent” local and County councillor when he had a three feet by two feet blown up photo of Maggie Thatcher over his desk.

Nice to see this thread back on the front page.

No ROF I dont recall Bob at RR,s.Roy Elton was transport when I worked there.Seems strange when I worked at John James because he worked there! and later Johns son David worked for Richard! There was a lot of poaching about then :slight_smile: There were at least 3 ex RR drivers at John James.Ernie Gaines,Pump top Bayliss and another artic driver ex RR.And another ex RR driver lost his life driving Johns Big J.Guy.

Bob was after Roy as I recall. He was at BFI if you remember, as well. Moved around quite a bit in his time. I remember Ernie vaguely. Were you at RR when Don Smith was there? He drove the LAD-cabbed Reiver mostly on steel out of Whiteheads.