Looking for old photo's of Forest of Dean firms

Geoff had this all sprayed up for me! one of my favorite lorrys ive drove ever! there wasnt much that would catch her either :}

Me.Paul.101:
Bob, I’ve already got one of those Allinson AEC’s. But I did like those of Mike Prosser and Ward’s. It just surprises me that people take photo’s of old trucks that are laid up, and to think that today’s trucks will undoubtedly end up the same way. I wonder if you’ve seen these…

Shows how long it is since I’ve been around- the Maguire brothers were running 3600 DAFs when I saw them last. And Dave Prout had a steam tractor that looked in better condition than that Scammell!
Forest of Dean Caravans had a couple of secondhand ERF A-series four-wheelers with beaver tales. I believe the guvnor there at the time was called Tirley or Turley?

TIDDERSON:
A few taken at the BRS depot in the mid 60’s

I wouldn’t swear to it, but I reckon the Guy Big J4T is my brand new lorry (the first new vehicle I’d ever had). The fleet number was GP109 and it was fitted with ■■■■■■■ 205, AEC six-speed overdrive box with an inertia brake (air operated) which actually worked. After I discovered how it worked, I spent the next month explaining it to the other chaps.
Quite a small cab but such a great wagon to drive as all the controls were in exactly the right place. Plus, of course, at last I had something which would leave the 11.3 Mandators standing!

haylorry:
My Dad and me did a few loads for Geoff Harris Transport when our work was quite, Nice people and i liked the Flatbed loads always something different , We use to go shoping at Alan Sparrow Truck breakers ,go there and get a lorry part and also have a nose around the scrap lorries for bits ,lights,cab bits etc… Also Rothdean use to run lorries on bulk as well making trailers

One night, when things went a bit quiet, I did a trip with an Atki MK1 for Rothdean. It was only a changeover at Oxford, so I didn’t have to rush. However, I found that the motor seemed to be going quite well and couldn’t resist finding out just how fast it went. Along the top of the Cotswolds towards Witney the speedo needle (no tachos!) was firmly against the stop. I started getting a bit nervous and eased the power off a bit.
When I got back I enquired as to whatever sort of engine was in the beast. “Just a 220 ■■■■■■■ & Turner Gearbox” John told me. “But it goes like sh*t” says I. Ah, well, it’s been worked on by our Lionel" I was told. They reckoned the old Atki would get up to about 80mph if you were brave enough.

Bryan1969:
Geoff Harris give me my first ever job after i passed my class 2! rang him, went down to see him! he said theres your lorry! take it home to clean it and put your kit in it! happy days!!! great boss!

Drove that1995 when is was turned into a flatbed

Me.Paul.101:
You’ll be telling me next that I ought to include this new acquisition in the Read garage…

Good grief but I’m feeling old! Last time I saw Phil Read, he was just a whippersnapper. Now your telling me HIS son’s got a lorry.

Just sitting here, waiting for God to collect me…

There used to be a good friend of me and the Crow working from the forest of Dean.His name is Alan Kendall a small operator from that area,I haven’t seen him for years now.He was/is a real tough cookie, he unfortunately got testitcular cancer and lost 1 of his crown jewels,then he went and lost some toes from frostbite, but that didn’t stop him,he just carried on as usual,always cheerful,nothing seemed to get him down,he was a real British Bulldog.His nephew Vinnie and another diver called Bernie used to work for him.Bernie had such bad smelling feet,he didn’t need to lock his cab door at night,he just left his boots outside on guard.Alan used to give them 3 letters before they left on a trip.If they did anything wrong they had to open the 1st letter,it was a first warning,the 2nd was a more severe warning and if they had to open the 3rd,they were fired.Sorry I haven’t any photos,but maybe someone from that area remembers him.

Me.Paul.101:
Yers a good un…

I remember when this was new. Those air horns could blast you out of your cab. Real deep and VERY loud!

Tony Alan Kendall is a Londoner who went to live in Tintern so does nt really qualify as forest of dean he used to say he was the biggest International Haulier in Tintern, he would be he was the only one. His shiftless knephew Vinny worked for us for a while after being sacked by Alan,he was one lazy git and did nt last long with us

jimmys boy:

ec14:
i used to know a chap from the forest called jim allen, not seen or heard of him for about 10 years.

hi mate jim is my dad i’ve got load of photos will have to scan them and get them on here.He now runs a mixer out of stowfield quarry.

Jim & I go back a long way.I used to go out with his cousin who lived next door to him back in 1962 or thereabouts. Worked with Jim when he was a subbie for Young George (see other threads) about fifteen years later. He ran a Seddon Atki then if I’m not mistaken, later buying a four-wheeler.
Last time I heard of Jim was when he and Trevor Probert were considering going into the mixer business. Guess he must be due for retirement anytime soon?

Me.Paul.101:
I remember Harry Thorne and the yard he had on station road. I think he had a Mack truck at one time. Just wondered what ever happened to Sam? I remember he used to sleep at the yard and he also had that ‘A’ series transit, wish I still had all my photo’s…

it’s O.K. chaps- just busy catching up.

I passed my HGV test with Sam Thorne, must have been sometime in the '70s, six months after a traffic commissioner had decided that I wasn’t a “fit person” and relieved me of my previous licence. We were at the old Gloucestershire Transport Training outfit at Staverton airport and I remember it was a hot, glorious summer, just right for riding around the county with nothing to haul! Only downside was the trucks they were using- if memory serves they were Leyland Boxers with single-axle trailers.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Me.Paul.101:
I remember Harry Thorne and the yard he had on station road. I think he had a Mack truck at one time. Just wondered what ever happened to Sam? I remember he used to sleep at the yard and he also had that ‘A’ series transit, wish I still had all my photo’s…

it’s O.K. chaps- just busy catching up.

I passed my HGV test with Sam Thorne, must have been sometime in the '70s, six months after a traffic commissioner had decided that I wasn’t a “fit person” and relieved me of my previous licence. We were at the old Gloucestershire Transport Training outfit at Staverton airport and I remember it was a hot, glorious summer, just right for riding around the county with nothing to haul! Only downside was the trucks they were using- if memory serves they were Leyland Boxers with single-axle trailers.

Used to haul tarmac to Gloucester CC depot next to Staverton airport in 1970’s.Also chippings to Moreton Valance airfield to a static tarmac plant when they were building the last stretch of the M5.
Cheers Dave.

Crikey, Dave, I didn’t think you chaps could make me feel much older!
I used to race motorbikes at Moreton Valence airfield in the early 60s also at Staverton airport which was still a commercial airport although we didn’t have to dodge the aircraft as they didn’t fly on Sundays.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I used to race motorbikes at Moreton Valence airfield in the early 60s also at Staverton airport which was still a commercial airport although we didn’t have to dodge the aircraft as they didn’t fly on Sundays.

They were still using Staverton for light aircraft when we delivered next door.I ain’t that young myself. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Tony Alan Kendall is a Londoner who went to live in Tintern so does nt really qualify as forest of dean he used to say he was the biggest International Haulier in Tintern, he would be he was the only one. His shiftless knephew Vinny worked for us for a while after being sacked by Alan,he was one lazy git and did nt last long with us

Tintern, Geoffrey, is only a stones throw from the Forest of Dean,as is Lydney.I don’t think Alan Kendall being a Londoner should disqualify him,people move around you know.

Dave the Renegade:

Retired Old ■■■■:

They were still using Staverton for light aircraft when we delivered next door.I ain’t that young myself. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

As far as I know, Dave, Staverton is still used by the local flying scool, in fact I had an hours flight last year when on a visit down there to see my daughter and her family. I think the airport itself is still known as Cheltenham and Gloucester Municipal Airport.
Just after the war a chap called Ray Darby started a regular sevice from Staverton to Jersey which I believe was still in operation up until the early seventies. At one time there were plans for a major expansion of services in & out of the airport but all came to nothing.

Does any one remember who hauled in and out of Edison Swan at Stowfield Lydbrook apart from Edwards ? regards kk

kingswinford kit:
Does any one remember who hauled in and out of Edison Swan at Stowfield Lydbrook apart from Edwards ? regards kk

if i remember correctly it was mainly george read, but there was a few of the reads running cable drums out of there. bob.

Crikey, Bob, you THAT old?!?!
When Edison Swan were in business I was taking loads of blackcurrants into Carters of Coleford, makers of Ribena for any strangers reading this drivel.
Carter’s was memorable for mainly two reasons- when riding shotgun with my father in the 50s I discovered forklift trucks there, they ran gas-powered three-wheeled Hysters) and their superb canteen served unfiltered Ribena, hot or cold at 3d for a half pint mug.
When I started driving myself, I sometimes chose to go through Ross & Lower Lydbrook, rejoining the main road at Carterspiece. Just for a change of scenery, really, nothing at all to do with the fact that I new a most fantastic-looking girl who lived on the route!

Hi RoF, I’ve been looking for pictures of trucks that ran into Carters or Beechams that it became, don’t suppose you can help me out or put me in touch with someone who can?. There’s bound to be some around but perhaps people don’t want to share or don’t know how to post them on here. Any help would be appreciated, if not, don’t worry. I’ve been on this quest for a long time and a bit longer won’t hurt.