Liverpool hauliers 1970/80

Not a haulier, but very popular in the Pool, Regards Larry.

HI BOATCHASER . THEdealer was J W RATCLIFFE also a haulage contractor ran abount 10 Bedford T K , 2 bmc 702 models and 2 Thames Traderers in two tone green and red an imaculate fleet on contract to THOMAS CROMPTON nuts & bolts. WIGAN or Golborne area also ran some on contract to a saugar co i think they were yellow albions could be wrong might be Sankey saugar .A great family and frend to us .The old grey cells are fading now Yours Barry Waddy

Ritsons, I remember them having a 6 wheeler BMC, Trailing axle I think, they used to get up to Newcastle in the 60s, I was speaking yo the driver once & he was as sick as a chip, he reckoned it wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, Happy Days Larry.

I can remember J.D. Irvin with their old steam wagons, & A.V.Crutchley with their horse drawn rollies on the Dock Rd.The latter going to the front of everyone to get tipped, 50/60s Era, Regards Larry.

b.waddy:
HI BOATCHASER . THEdealer was J W RATCLIFFE also a haulage contractor ran abount 10 Bedford T K , 2 bmc 702 models and 2 Thames Traderers in two tone green and red an imaculate fleet on contract to THOMAS CROMPTON nuts & bolts. WIGAN or Golborne area also ran some on contract to a saugar co i think they were yellow albions could be wrong might be Sankey saugar .A great family and frend to us .The old grey cells are fading now Yours Barry Waddy

Thomas Cromptons depot was in Gerrard Street in Ashton in Makerfield my misses used to work for them her dad and brother used to drive for them.
Sankey Sugar works my old fella pulled out of there he sadly died October 24th 2011 brings back some good memories thinking of these old firms and places.

HI ,M F M . DID you know J ,W, Ratcliff .there yard was in Low Bank rd .A friend of Bills used to park in his yard with a Albion 4 wheeler in red he was on contract to . Smiths of Eceles may be you new of him ,are you still on the road our out to grass like my self .Yours Barry Waddy

b.waddy:
HI ,M F M . DID you know J ,W, Ratcliff .there yard was in Low Bank rd .A friend of Bills used to park in his yard with a Albion 4 wheeler in red he was on contract to . Smiths of Eceles may be you new of him ,are you still on the road our out to grass like my self .Yours Barry Waddy

Can’t recall J W Ratcliff, yes i’m still on the road got a few years left yet off all this week worked over new year, going to spend some time in the pub to make up.

M F M , I like it Barry Wad

b.waddy:

The name of the garage truck dealership was Haydock Commercials and they were Foden agents just ask my mate who worked there in the early to Mid 70,s its now a Equestrian shop

Robert Armstrong

Robert Armstrong  MTJ 148K.jpg

Transworld Transport now in Widness used to be in Liverpool on Rimrose Rd, (Outdoor World now) and used to be Kenneth Acock Ships Stores, the name ‘Transworld Transport’ came about around 1980 when container transport started. Here’s one of their pre Transworld trucks, I’d just tipped at 39 berth Tilbury & was picking up a 40’ skelly from Brain Haulage’s yard in Dagenham to go back to Liverpool.

This was pre-ratchet strap days so it was chains & ‘stretchers’!!

Ross.

Hiya …has anyone got any forsyth transport photo.s…i know they had some mandator mk5’s at one time and one or two
scania’s
thanks
John

With ref to the Outdoor World shop, didn’t there used to be a firm there called Gobowens? I did a bit of work for them a good few years ago (they used to do work for Guinness from Ireland to Warrington. Think they moved containers as well (had some rough old gear but paid ok methinks)

hayday:
With ref to the Outdoor World shop, didn’t there used to be a firm there called Gobowens? I did a bit of work for them a good few years ago (they used to do work for Guinness from Ireland to Warrington. Think they moved containers as well (had some rough old gear but paid ok methinks)

They took the place over a little while after Transworld moved out IIRC. I have got a few picutes burried away somewhere taken in the Rimrose Rd depot, I’ll post them up on here if I can find them.

Ross.

just changing the subject slightly … here is one members view on our City…

I know this is a 90s motor on an 70s/80s thread but does anybody recognise this ERF E10 with a 1991 Liverpool reg plate. It’s currently parked in an industrial estate near the Isle of Man airport.It’s got two fuel tanks and never been used on the road over here,otherwise it would have Manx plates.I can only assume it was used for shunting.

marky:

Chris Webb:

routier:

Chris Webb:
I’m trying to remember a L’pool fruit haulier with red or maroon Leyland Octopussies.I thought it was H.B and H but they were from Newton-Le-Willows.

Blundell & Rimmer ?

Yes,that’s him routier thanks,couldn’t think of the name. :unamused:

Blundell & Rimmer weren’t Liverpool hauliers - they were from Halsall, then moved to Burscough into one of the first plots at the top end of the industrial estate; almost opposite Baybutts. They worked in & out of Liverpool on the fruit job, and established themselves as spud merchants, doing a lot of market work. Latterly they did a lot of container work and then a lot of lift tanks which Allan Booth then got into. I believe part of the business morphed into B&R Tankers towards the end.

They were all Leyland until the seventies, when they went all ERF. After that they had a lot of SK Mercs and some DAFs.[/quo. te]
Are you thinking of Fred Davies St Helen Saturday when I went to queens sq they alway sent a wagon & drag picking up empty boxes and loaded them up to the gunnels

gandy:
Hello,
On this subject, does anyone remember and/or have pictures of the following 70,s/80,s hauliers ?

MOL Transport
Wm Rainford
Metrans
Transpeed
Appletons
AS Jones
Lever Bros
LF Briggs

Thanks

J M Burgess- Alred Dexter - Griddle - Fitzpatrick (Queens Square)’

Are you thinking of Fred Davies St Helen Saturday when I went to queens sq they alway sent a wagon & drag picking up empty boxes and loaded them up to the gunnels

I worked for Fred Davies through the 60s. We always loaded m/t produce boxes on the trailers for Evesham on Saturdays from in & around Victoria St, Queens Sq, etc. In the early 60s I had a Thames Trader & I ( along with the other Trader drivers) would pick up small consignments of fruit from various Liverpool importers & take them back to St Helens to be transhipped onto the big wagons ready for Sun night.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Not a haulier, but very popular in the Pool, Regards Larry.

United Africa ran several of these this one is a 1924 Super Sentinel
Where did you find the picture ■■?