LHD Leyland Roadtrains

newmercman:
A DDR registered Roadtrain, just nicked this off a Facebook page.

The bottom front panel is different to other T45s. I wonder if this was a Leyland test prototype or summat like that?

[zb]
anorak:

newmercman:
A DDR registered Roadtrain, just nicked this off a Facebook page.
The bottom front panel is different to other T45s. I wonder if this was a Leyland test prototype or summat like that?

Perhaps it is just a more rugged bumper version for tough circumstances - rather like the businesslike bumper they put on the Iveco EuroTrakker version of the Eurotech. Robert

No it’s the panel below the cab, it’s got a couple of vents where the “usual” version just has a hole. Well spotted anorak. My only thought is that it could be a method of winterisation as it gets a little bit parky in those parts?

robert1952:
To add to the ones I posted earlier on the thread, here are a couple more pics here of ‘The Scud’, which regularly did the Middle-East run pulling Astran trailers. It was a LHD Scammell S26. Robert

Think the AWY trailer should be on the tri-axle twin wheels thread?

John

robert1952:
To add to the ones I posted earlier on the thread, here are a couple more pics here of ‘The Scud’, which regularly did the Middle-East run pulling Astran trailers. It was a LHD Scammell S26. Robert

Not that it matters but that isn’t Andrew jacking the motor up, it’s Gary Glass. He bought the outfit from Andrew, Bob Poggiani is behind him with the Scammell Scud… :wink:

Took this pic on Saturday at Gaydon. Its Dutch owner was able to fill me in on a couple of details. Apparently, only 11 LHD Roadtrains were exported to Holland. Ten of them were Rolls Royce 300 or 350 with Fuller boxes (same as the French ones then); but the eleventh, seen here, has the Leyland TL engine with Spicer box (same as many of the UK-spec ones then). Only this unit and one of the Roller powered ones have been preserved. Robert

DSCF6386.JPG

robert1952:
I’ve just ‘bumped up’ the Leyland Roadtrains thread (RHD ones)… Robert

Bump it again mate. Fkd if I can find it. :smiley:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
I’ve just ‘bumped up’ the Leyland Roadtrains thread (RHD ones)… Robert

Bump it again mate. Fkd if I can find it. :smiley:

That might be a typo - ie it should say LHD - as I don’t remember a RHD Roadtrains thread and I certainly didn’t start one! Robert

Was sent these scans this week. Robert

robert1952:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
Another shot of that S26 Interstate! Robert

It’s not an Interstate; it’s a coachbuilt one-off, like that red “United” one up above. The Interstate looked like this:
aronline.co.uk/blogs/wp-cont … 00x400.jpg

That’s correct. I should have said it was an Interstate lookalike! Robert

Does anyone know what happened to this Interstate "lookalike - it would be a great truck to join a heavy haulage collection!!

French one, so prob Rolls 350 and 9-sp Fuller version. Robert

A Spanish example. Robert

Leyland_marathon2:
0 Austria, very rare

Austrian owned, Lux reg. Kralowetz had a depot in Luxembourg.

Robert, a couple of small articles about Leyland in France from 1984.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
Robert, a couple of small articles about Leyland in France from 1984.

Click on pages twice to read.

Cheers Dean! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Looks like a Calsina Carre to me - think they were from Gerona iirc.

kmills:

ERF-NGC-European:

Looks like a Calsina Carre to me - think they were from Gerona iirc.

Thought it looked familiar! I pulled over near Gerona once to find myself outside the Salvador Dali museum of art. I had a 45-min break to kill so I locked the lorry and went to the museum. It was closed! So I had to put the kettle on. Robert

Has this one turned up at the shows yet?

[zb]
anorak:
Has this one turned up at the shows yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcxCVlkVxg

Haven’t seen it so far, but would be a nice change instead of the “usual suspects” :wink: