LHD Leyland Roadtrains

Why wasn"t that front spoiler with the resses for the fog lights available in the uk??
Or were they and i never saw a roadtrain with one on■■?

turbom:
Why wasn"t that front spoiler with the resses for the fog lights available in the uk??
Or were they and i never saw a roadtrain with one on■■?

I’ve just ‘bumped up’ the Leyland Roadtrains thread (RHD ones). If you look on there, you’ll see loads of UK Roadtrains with the under-spoiler and lights. One thing that the LHD models had, which the RHD rarely had, was a 9-speed Fuller! Robert

Almost without exception, as far as can find out, the LHD version differed in some way from the RHD version - whatever the make and model. The standard European export version of the Roadtrain had Rolls Royce 350 with a 9-speed Fuller and a sleeper cab. With the RHD version a 9-speed was rare and you were much more likely to end up with a Spicer 10-speed, an Eaton Twin-splitter or a ZF sychro box. But with the RHD version you could also have the Interstate high-roof cab, of which I believe there were about 60 made. As far as I know, this was not available with the LHD cab. Robert

robert1952:
Almost without exception, as far as can find out, the LHD version differed in some way from the RHD version - whatever the make and model. The standard European export version of the Roadtrain had Rolls Royce 350 with a 9-speed Fuller and a sleeper cab. With the RHD version a 9-speed was rare and you were much more likely to end up with a Spicer 10-speed, an Eaton Twin-splitter or a ZF sychro box. But with the RHD version you could also have the Interstate high-roof cab, of which I believe there were about 60 made. As far as I know, this was not available with the LHD cab. Robert

Thanks for the info there robert.
I knew the french prefered the rolls engines or only got them,didn"t realise there were only 60 interstates made and only for the uk.
I seem to recall reading somewhere interstates were only sold to big fleet buyers■■?,may have read that on here.

Given that the T45 Roadtrain sold well and was successful on the Continent in its Euro-spec form (sleeper cab, Rolls Royce 350 / 9-speed Fuller and LHD), it surprises me that Leyland didn’t offer this version with the high Interstate cab. You could get the Interstate with a TL / Spicer RHD set-up, but that’s probably not what people trying to complete with Volvo F12 Globetrotters needed. Robert

LHD Scammell S26 version in action. Robert

4848331475_8c6b33cf23.jpg

To add to the ones I posted earlier on the thread, here are a couple more pics here of ‘The Scud’, which regularly did the Middle-East run pulling Astran trailers. It was a LHD Scammell S26. Robert

67u58.jpg

robert1952:
Given that the T45 Roadtrain sold well and was successful on the Continent in its Euro-spec form (sleeper cab, Rolls Royce 350 / 9-speed Fuller and LHD), it surprises me that Leyland didn’t offer this version with the high Interstate cab. You could get the Interstate with a TL / Spicer RHD set-up, but that’s probably not what people trying to complete with Volvo F12 Globetrotters needed. Robert

The anomalies are chronological. The first export T45s, in 1981, had high datum cabs and TL12 engines, for that is what was available. The LHD 1935 (IIRC, the same engine as a RHD 1734) came later then, later still, the raised roof. I have a photo of one of the first batches of 1928s sitting on Dover (I think it was Dover) quay, waiting to cross the Channel. I’ll see if I can dig it out.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

The anomalies are chronological. The first export T45s, in 1981, had high datum cabs and TL12 engines, for that is what was available. The LHD 1935 (IIRC, the same engine as a RHD 1734) came later then, later still, the raised roof. I have a photo of one of the first batches of 1928s sitting on Dover (I think it was Dover) quay, waiting to cross the Channel. I’ll see if I can dig it out.

Ah! Thanks for that. It makes sense. Cheers, Robert

Another shot of that S26 Interstate! Robert

b58.jpg

robert1952:

Great photo, Do you know what was under the bonnet,?Regards Larry.

robert1952:

It’s not an Interstate; it’s a coachbuilt one-off, like that red “United” one up above. The Interstate looked like this:
aronline.co.uk/blogs/wp-cont … 00x400.jpg

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

It’s not an Interstate; it’s a coachbuilt one-off, like that red “United” one up above. The Interstate looked like this:
aronline.co.uk/blogs/wp-cont … 00x400.jpg

That’s correct. I should have said it was an Interstate lookalike! Robert

robert1952:
To add to the ones I posted earlier on the thread, here are a couple more pics here of ‘The Scud’, which regularly did the Middle-East run pulling Astran trailers. It was a LHD Scammell S26. Robert

Pirelli Cinturato, the best tyre for you…

And there’s Andrew WY changing a blown tyre, that amuses me.

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

Haha never tought of that,that is really funny :smiley:

Danne

newmercman:

robert1952:

Pirelli Cinturato, the best tyre for you…

And there’s Andrew WY changing a blown tyre, that amuses me.

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

About the only thing that’d stop him in his tracks, from what I’ve heard - wonder if he had his wellies on! Robert

(Ian) Ryder International who ran out of Bredbury (Stockport) had at least one LHD French spec’d Roadtrain.

I don’t remember much about it but I do remember the Aircon unit and the ‘all round’ tinted glass. It was driven by Johnny Haig who is sadly no longer with us, he is remembered for always wearing his tan leather jacket and his everlasting cigar!

I heard an amusing tale about AWY recently, a friend of mine was in Kapikule and it was under 2ft of water after a thaw, my mate was sat in his cab rolling up his trousers when along came Andrew who offered him a piggy back over to customs. Halfway there Andrew suddenly turned around heading back to his lorry, apparently he’d got a puncture in one of his wellies and was going back to repair it!

A DDR registered Roadtrain, just nicked this off a Facebook page.