LHD Leyland Roadtrains

I dealt with Poggi’s LHD Scammell S26 ‘The Scud’ on page one of this thread. It seems it was not, after all, an ex-military model but a cancelled export order. It ended up in the Gulf on Kuwaiti plates. Here are some pics. Robert

Still can’t find any evidence of LHD Roadtrains with ■■■■■■■ lumps. I wonder why that is. :question: Robert

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Leyland T45 may be the most modern truck available :open_mouth: , if you wanted a LHD British built (or even European built) tractive unit with a sleeper cab, an engine over 250 bhp and a 9-speed Fuller. :wink: It’s a thought, isn’t it! You’d have a Roller 350 or a 290 TL12 in it (can’t find any LHD with ■■■■■■■■■ Foden, ERF, Ford, Seddon-Atkinson etc all seem to have ditched out before the later LHD Leylands kicked in. Oh, do prove me wrong someone! Robert :question:

robert1952:
I’ve come to the conclusion that the Leyland T45 may be the most modern truck available :open_mouth: , if you wanted a LHD British built (or even European built) tractive unit with a sleeper cab, an engine over 250 bhp and a 9-speed Fuller. :wink: It’s a thought, isn’t it! You’d have a Roller 350 or a 290 TL12 in it (can’t find any LHD with ■■■■■■■■■ Foden, ERF, Ford, Seddon-Atkinson etc all seem to have ditched out before the later LHD Leylands kicked in. Oh, do prove me wrong someone! Robert :question:

Leyland was a lorry designer/manufacturer. The others you mention were just assemblers, knife-and-fork engineers. Leyland was head and shoulders above them all, whatever its faults.

Can’t make out the Reg. no, but it looks like an old French-Tilt trailer its pulling? Regards Chris

IMG_NEW.jpg

adr:
Can’t make out the Reg. no, but it looks like an old French-Tilt trailer its pulling? Regards Chris

They did prove quite popular in France, Chris. Robert

Sorry just answered my own question! Bon weekend. Robert

Really enjoyed looking at the lhd roadtrains as i have a big ol soft spot for the T45 leylands :smiley:

dsc03045g.jpg A french wrecker

leyland roadtrain.jpg

Austria, very rare

A Roadtrain I found in France and now under restoration in Holland.

From 1985 :

Great pics, Rene. Thank you for your contributions! Robert :smiley:

I saw an S26 tractor like the one further up the page yesterday. I asked the bloke working on it if it went to the shows. He said “no”, so I will leave its privacy intact. That does not stop you looking out for it, if you are travelling between Chester and Mold :laughing: . The vehicle was still working, was obviously well cared-for and looked fabulous. Good luck to its owners.

The Roadtrain was TRUCK of the YEAR in 1981. :wink: Robert