LHD Leyland Roadtrains

A rare 6x4 in wood transport.

michel:
A rare 6x4 in wood transport.

With a wheelbase that long, I imagine it was a conversion job that started out as a 4x2. Good pic! Robert :slight_smile:

Does anyone know what happened to the Scammells badged as Mountainers.

IIRC they were going to the US imported by someone to do with an American Football team!!

Ed

EDTRUCK:

IIRC they were going to the US imported by someone to do with an American Football team!!

Ed

Good question! I don’t know the answer. Here are some LHD Scammell Mountaineers with T45 cab and no clues! Robert

Fullscreen capture 1292013 121515 PM.bmp.jpg

Here is a military Mountaineer, again LHD;

p1070534389-3.jpg

…and let’s not forget that (before British Leyland / Scammell) the real Scammell Mountaineer looked like this:

p1035462327-3.jpg

Here’s another one of those LHD Scammell S26s based on the Leyland T45 concept. Robert

3804223412_f978ea73b9_m.jpg

I posted a reply to a question about “Mountaineers” in January last year, they seem to be a mystery vehicle that have left no trace, I only know about them from my time with a Leyland main dealer(in the era of the 500 engine, Marathons & T45’s)

EDTRUCK:

Ed

The white one looks like a US-market vehicle- the small headlamps and the marker lights on the roof are typical US features. Why they changes the name is a mystery- what was wrong with Scammell or, indeed, Leyland?

[/quote]
The white one looks like a US-market vehicle- the small headlamps and the marker lights on the roof are typical US features. Why they changes the name is a mystery- what was wrong with Scammell or, indeed, Leyland?
[/quote]
The importer that cut the deal with Scammell/Leyland were IIRC based in West Virgina a state known for its mountainous areas hence the name, the vehicles were indeed modified to comply with US DOT regs, brake systems, electrics IIRC 24V start 12V lighting,extra markers etc the most radical mod was a narrow front axle again to comply with US regs

Good info from Splitshift.

Was the venture a success? I guess not, since I can only find two photos of “Mountaineer”- badged S26s on the internet!

[zb]
anorak:
Good info from Splitshift.

Was the venture a success? I guess not, since I can only find two photos of “Mountaineer”- badged S26s on the internet!

I think maybe two vehicles ended up in the US, the importer was an ex US armed forces Lt Colonel who claimed to have contacts in the US military,state & federal government and could secure lucrative orders for vehicles, back in the “eighties” things went a bit wrong with the US economy, exchange rates went “belly up” and everything fell apart ( I was told there were some “Mountaineers” laid up somewhere in Lincolnshire some years ago but nobody has confirmed this so far)

Evening all, just to conclude my little memory ramble started on the LHD Marathon thread, but one quick thought on Roberts picture of the Giraud, of Sonnay Marathon, and T45, the one Marathon was pre delivery fitted with a 13 speed, but in the light of heavier fuel consumption the second was a 9 speed…as was the" flexitorque" T45. Im certain Giraud`s also ran a subcontractor with a Rolls Royce T45 up and down to the Gulf. I remember the boys at Transports Chapuis telling me about it, and how impressed they were with its pulling power…mind you they were running to Nigeria with 340 Saviems…but that is another story for another thread, another time.

So the T45 arrived in France with its TL12 based “flexitorque” engine, 9509A Fuller, and 13 tonne SOMA axle. Still with a substantial price advantage over the new TR305 Renault, circ 6K, and very good finance arrangements. They sold, but a new model was coming, with Rolls power, up to 350 sae hp, and with all the price advantages of the old model.

Roger Dougherty marketed the product well, and his salesmen were pushing at an open door…

Back in the 70s , Rolls Royce had at their own cost retro fitted a new Saviem 340, with a 320 hp version of their engine, with a 9509A Fuller box, and Saviem 1332 rear axle. This had done the rounds of some major, and many minor French fleets, with outstanding results, driver acceptance, economy, and over the road performance. I drove this vehicle several times, both when it was in service at Transports Onatra, and on test for “the works”, truly everyone saw the potential as a premium package…but then came our marriage to Berliet…and the door closed…Thunk!

Then Leyland provide the replacement!!! And they sold well…Highly visible , promotions at Le Mans, Truck Races, the Cabriolet did the rounds…and even featured in Paris Match, and they held up quite well on the road as well. Good road test results in the main trade magazines…Le Camion Rolls Royce…indeed.

I remember at one marketing meeting in Venissieux, when we were discussing market penetration of “Importers” in the French market, and I, (oh so full of tact), chose to remind the assembled throng, that Leyland had at that time achieved more sales in France, than the combined range of Saviem, and Berliet in the United Kingdom…there was quite a silence…I remember it well!!

1985, with Leyland France performing well, Roger was appointed Head of European Operations…and moved back to Leyland…1988 he left for ENASA in Spain, along with a couple of colleagues…then of course came the “gift” of Leyland to DAF…who overnight were able to illuminate one very sharp thorn from their side by running down Leyland France.

The fact that T45`s are still around in the showland world, and some in preservation, shows just how well this product worked…what a shame that the UK ones were not Fuller, to a beefy SOMA axle, whatever the powerplant…

Im away to my Bollinger…and to remember that, “silence”!!!

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Evening all, just to conclude my little memory ramble started on the LHD Marathon thread, but one quick thought on Roberts picture of the Giraud, of Sonnay Marathon, and T45, the one Marathon was pre delivery fitted with a 13 speed, but in the light of heavier fuel consumption the second was a 9 speed…as was the" flexitorque" T45. Im certain Giraud`s also ran a subcontractor with a Rolls Royce T45 up and down to the Gulf. I remember the boys at Transports Chapuis telling me about it, and how impressed they were with its pulling power…mind you they were running to Nigeria with 340 Saviems…but that is another story for another thread, another time.

So the T45 arrived in France with its TL12 based “flexitorque” engine, 9509A Fuller, and 13 tonne SOMA axle. Still with a substantial price advantage over the new TR305 Renault, circ 6K, and very good finance arrangements. They sold, but a new model was coming, with Rolls power, up to 350 sae hp, and with all the price advantages of the old model.

Roger Dougherty marketed the product well, and his salesmen were pushing at an open door…

Back in the 70s , Rolls Royce had at their own cost retro fitted a new Saviem 340, with a 320 hp version of their engine, with a 9509A Fuller box, and Saviem 1332 rear axle. This had done the rounds of some major, and many minor French fleets, with outstanding results, driver acceptance, economy, and over the road performance. I drove this vehicle several times, both when it was in service at Transports Onatra, and on test for “the works”, truly everyone saw the potential as a premium package…but then came our marriage to Berliet…and the door closed…Thunk!

Then Leyland provide the replacement!!! And they sold well…Highly visible , promotions at Le Mans, Truck Races, the Cabriolet did the rounds…and even featured in Paris Match, and they held up quite well on the road as well. Good road test results in the main trade magazines…Le Camion Rolls Royce…indeed.

I remember at one marketing meeting in Venissieux, when we were discussing market penetration of “Importers” in the French market, and I, (oh so full of tact), chose to remind the assembled throng, that Leyland had at that time achieved more sales in France, than the combined range of Saviem, and Berliet in the United Kingdom…there was quite a silence…I remember it well!!

1985, with Leyland France performing well, Roger was appointed Head of European Operations…and moved back to Leyland…1988 he left for ENASA in Spain, along with a couple of colleagues…then of course came the “gift” of Leyland to DAF…who overnight were able to illuminate one very sharp thorn from their side by running down Leyland France.

The fact that T45`s are still around in the showland world, and some in preservation, shows just how well this product worked…what a shame that the UK ones were not Fuller, to a beefy SOMA axle, whatever the powerplant…

Im away to my Bollinger…and to remember that, “silence”!!!

Cheerio for now.

Thank you Saviem for that uniquely illuminating insight into the history of French Marathons and Roadtrains! Robert :smiley:

That LHD high-roof Scammell S26 again. Robert

LHD hi-roof Scammell S26.jpg

robert1952:
Bob Poggioni ran a Scammell S26 with a 400 bhp ■■■■■■■ in it and a Jake brake on Middle-East work to the Gulf. It featured in a 1991 TRUCK mag article by Lawrence Kiely. The machine performed well and was known as ‘The Scud’ (believed to have been named by Turkish drivers for its speed during the Gulf War of the early '90s). Here are some pics of this lorry. Robert

Hi Robert,

“The Scud” did not last long after the 1991 article,well not taxed in the UK anyway,but I bet it was still being used somewhere. :sunglasses:
Vehicle enquiry
Registration number: F661 PKV
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 01 July 1992
MOT
No details held by DVLA
New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle. Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated.

Vehicle details
6 month rate £126.50 12 month rate £230.00 6 monthly by direct debit totalling £120.75 12 monthly by direct debit totalling £230.00 Monthly by direct debit totalling £241.50 (Monthly payment of approximately £20.13) Vehicle make LEYLAND Date of first registration 13 March 1989 Year of manufacture 1989 Cylinder capacity (cc) 14000cc CO₂Emissions Not available Fuel type DIESEL Export marker No Vehicle status Not taxed Vehicle colour WHITE Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 3 AXLE + 3 AXLE ARTIC

Cheers Paul! Another French Roadtrain. Robert

postman paul:

robert1952:
Bob Poggioni ran a Scammell S26 with a 400 bhp ■■■■■■■ in it and a Jake brake on Middle-East work to the Gulf. It featured in a 1991 TRUCK mag article by Lawrence Kiely. The machine performed well and was known as ‘The Scud’ (believed to have been named by Turkish drivers for its speed during the Gulf War of the early '90s). Here are some pics of this lorry. Robert

Hi Robert,

“The Scud” did not last long after the 1991 article,well not taxed in the UK anyway,but I bet it was still being used somewhere. :sunglasses:
Vehicle enquiry
Registration number: F661 PKV
✗ Untaxed
Tax due: 01 July 1992
MOT
No details held by DVLA
New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle. Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated.

Vehicle details
6 month rate £126.50 12 month rate £230.00 6 monthly by direct debit totalling £120.75 12 monthly by direct debit totalling £230.00 Monthly by direct debit totalling £241.50 (Monthly payment of approximately £20.13) Vehicle make LEYLAND Date of first registration 13 March 1989 Year of manufacture 1989 Cylinder capacity (cc) 14000cc CO₂Emissions Not available Fuel type DIESEL Export marker No Vehicle status Not taxed Vehicle colour WHITE Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 3 AXLE + 3 AXLE ARTIC

I last saw the Scud in Qatar in 1997 or 1998 - I’ve got a photo somewhere, and it was looking a bit sorry for itself. I presume it was sold locally.

Endit:
Hi Robert,

I last saw the Scud in Qatar in 1997 or 1998 - I’ve got a photo somewhere, and it was looking a bit sorry for itself. I presume it was sold locally.

Ah, must have done its last trip as a ‘seller’ then. At least it won’t rot so quickly! Robert

This one is for sale in Sweden now,only 120000km.

Danne

Opps just saw that its an RHD… Ohh well

Danne

Dirty Dan:
Opps just saw that its an RHD… Ohh well

Danne

:laughing: :laughing: Nice try! Robert :smiley: